PDA

View Full Version : Glueing Hardwood

Phillip Moore
8th May 2003, 07:46 PM
I`m making an outdoor setting using Iron Bark. The timber has been stacked flat for about 18 months since it was cut. The table top will be 5 pieces of 200 x 50. I was wondering about glueing & dowelling the top pieces together.I Would like to know what would be a suitable glue to use? I will be using several bearers underneath the top.
Thankyou for any ideas.

peter mikk
13th May 2003, 04:54 PM
if you are going to put it in the weather you should consider maybe leaving a gap between each board, if the table is going under a roof and you are set on a laminated top,use epoxy or alternativley try av515 i have been using this for the past 12 months with no problems, although not outdoors, the glue is promoted for marine application though.

Wood Borer
13th May 2003, 07:20 PM
Phillip,

Have you considered using sliding dovetails to hold the top together? They are not that difficult and will hold the top reasonably flat and at the same time allow the top to expand and contract without warping or splitting.

If you do them properly you won't even need to use glue.

A router with a dovetail bit, a straight edge and a couple of clamps for the top and the sliding dovetail piece can be made using the router and dovetail bit or by sawing and planing.

If in doubt, practice on some pine firstly.

There was an article about sliding dovetails in the Australian Wood Review in last 18 months or so but plenty of references in good woodwork books.

- Wood Borer