PDA

View Full Version : New member.

ciscokid
7th December 2006, 11:09 PM
Hello, I am a brand new member to this forum. I am pleased to be here and have been greatly impressed with all your work. So many realy good woodworkers here. I have only been practicing making saw dust for 20 months now and have pretty much restricted myself to box making. I started with simple boxes and have been gradually making more difficult ones. I work with a lot of nice exotic woods and have a ready supply near where I work. Makes a nice lunch break. I am going to take a stab at posting a picture of a recent box. It is made from kingwood with maple splines and has a ribbon sapele bottom. I will put candy in it and give it to a friend for Christmas.

Sculptured Box
7th December 2006, 11:16 PM
A Nice bit of Eye Candy!

Welcome to the best Forum, internationally, of Box Makers.

Boxinator
7th December 2006, 11:40 PM
Welcome, I am new here myself. That is a beautiful box! I use kingwood for pens but haven't ever seen boards nice enough to make a box. Beautiful!

Corey

Bwillie
8th December 2006, 01:04 AM
A Very good looking box. One of those warm and fuzzy looking ones that are just very pleasant to look at, touch and open.

And from a relatively new member.....Welcome. Before you know it, they'll have us licensing this forum in the States if we keep this up :D :D

ICN,

Bill

DPB
8th December 2006, 08:44 AM
First, welcome Cisco! Good to have another Sepo join us. Like the work of your compatriots, this is a lovely piece.

It's interesting to see how the choice of timber determines the appearance of a box. Aussies are often envied for the exotic range of timber species available to them; but I reckon you Yanks have an equally good range of wood that is not easily found here, if at all.

Good work, Mate!:)

RufflyRustic
8th December 2006, 10:13 AM
Welcome - Beautiful box!!

any chance of seeing a picture with the lid on?

thanks!

Wendy

watson
8th December 2006, 08:01 PM
And the candy???

Welcome,
Noel

Ruddy
8th December 2006, 08:57 PM
Welcome Cisco...
A very impressive box.
As Wendy asked......can you post a pic with the lid in place?...
Thanks..

mlsa
9th December 2006, 12:42 AM
Good Morning Kid and welcome

That is a beautiful box. I love the maple splines...they sure look white. I would love to see a closeup of the lid also. I noticed you cut it down on the sides and from what I can see looks really great.

David

ciscokid
9th December 2006, 08:47 AM
Thank you for the kind words regarding this box. I wish I were a better wood worker. But I get so much satisfaction out of it. In response to your requests to see a picture with the lid on, here it is. I can only say that putting a lid on it does not make it any easier on the eyes. Sorry. I am rather fortunate, however, to have an excellent supply of almost any exotic hardwood I can think of. I just picked up four more kingwood boards and a nice piece of rather excellent ebony. I went in looking for canarywood because I'm addicted to building things with it, most notably CD towers, and I always walk out of there with more than I went in for. :o My wife says I'm a wood whore. I wouldn't know about such things. :cool:

DPB
9th December 2006, 08:58 AM
Just Lovely!:)

Boxinator
9th December 2006, 11:14 AM
That is a gorgeous box. I wouldn't get down on yourself at all, you have displayed some fine craftsmanship in that box and wow, that is some beautiful wood. Thanks for the additional pics!

Corey

Harry72
9th December 2006, 03:21 PM
That grain is something isnt it!

Nice work mate... and welcome to the forum.

Gecko
13th December 2006, 02:17 AM
That is very pretty. A pleasure to look at. I am going to have to look into that wood myself. The Maple keys are a good contrast too.

RufflyRustic
13th December 2006, 09:30 AM
Eye Candy!! Yum!!:D

zenwood
13th December 2006, 01:14 PM
Oh,... Cisco....:)

Welcome, and very nice box. You've achieved nice grain continuity around the corners, and the handle detail is nice too.

AlexS
13th December 2006, 10:06 PM
Welcome Cisco, very nice work.

keppar
14th December 2006, 09:19 AM
Hi
Love the box. I am new to box making and I would like to know what jigs or equipment you all use to make splines and mitred corners as in the above box.
Thankyou Kepp

ciscokid
15th December 2006, 06:50 AM
Hi
...I would like to know what jigs or equipment you all use to make splines and mitred corners as in the above box.

Keppar,
Thank you for the kind words. Kingwood is so pretty, it would look good in a cat box. I don't know what others use for splines but, out of sheer necessity, I designed this little jig out of some scrap oak I had laying around. All it does is hold the box at a 45 degree angle. I just put the box in it and run it down my saw's fence. Flip it 90 degrees and continue until all four corners are done. Want multiple splines? Just reset the fence and do it all again. If you look at the photo closely, you will see the saw blade protruding up into the jig. Then I carefully rip a contrasting wood for the splines, sand it until it just barely fits into the slots and glue them in place. When the glue has set, I cut off the spline material sticking out flush with the box sides using one of those flexible Japanese saws with no set to the teeth. I usually then round over all the corners with a suitable roundover bit in my router table. Nothing to it. :)

keppar
18th December 2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks a lot will help me a lot

TassieKiwi
18th December 2006, 11:26 AM
nice work mate - ya ol' woodwhore!