PDA

View Full Version : A couple of tables

Rocker
8th December 2006, 12:56 PM
I spent a couple of weeks making these two tables. They have no pretensions to be heirlooms, but should do the job as a TV/coffee table, and as a children's colouring table. The TV table is jarrah, built with domino joinery. The boards of its shelf are ship-lapped and each screwed, but not glued, with a screw at either end into a rebate in the rails. The panels on the ends were raised using a vertical panel-raising bit.

The colouring table is made of hoop pine; its shelves are set in dadoes and are reinforced by rails joined to the sides with domino joinery, and glued with techniglue epoxy.

Both tables are finished with three coats of gloss polyurethane, to give a hard-wearing finish.

They will be sent over to rellies in England with a set of zigzag chairs, to console them for the humiliations they are suffering in the Ashes tests:D

Rocker

RufflyRustic
8th December 2006, 01:02 PM
What a great way to rub in some ashes with some beautiful woodwork - are you going to wrap them in sack cloth? ;) :D

Cheers
Wendy

martrix
8th December 2006, 01:40 PM
They will be sent over to rellies in England with a set of zigzag chairs, to console them for the humiliations they are suffering in the Ashes tests:D

Rocker

Good thing you built them and that you used Oz hardwood, they're going to need something solid to bash on:D .

Did it feel much quicker than normal to produce by using the Domino?

Just out of interest, who do get to send something like that OS? I assume it would go by Sea?

TassieKiwi
8th December 2006, 02:13 PM
Excellent work there D, I like the raised panels.

I just realised a huge downside of Domino joinery - you can't see how cool it is! I was about to make a wee ply box the other day for the new portable DVD that would've had exposed Domi's - but an old soft briefcase was perfect for it instead :) . Another time.

Rocker
8th December 2006, 03:16 PM
Good thing you built them and that you used Oz hardwood, they're going to need something solid to bash on:D .

Did it feel much quicker than normal to produce by using the Domino?

Just out of interest, who do get to send something like that OS? I assume it would go by Sea?

Martrix,

It not only felt much quicker - it was much quicker using the Domino. Each mortice only takes 10 seconds or so to cut, and you don't have to fiddle with cutting tenons, rounding their ends and fine-tuning their fit.

I get a local furniture removalist to pack and send stuff overseas. A set of four chairs and the two tables will probable cost about $900 to send by sea, including insurance. I air-freighted my rolltop desk and blanket chest, plus a large picture to Colorado; that cost about $4000, but the recipient was paying the freight:)

Rocker

oges
9th December 2006, 08:35 PM
Beautiful work, love the tv table

Gumby
9th December 2006, 09:30 PM
Looks very light in colour if it's Jarrah. Not doubting you at all DD but it has come up beautifully.

;) :)

Rocker
10th December 2006, 03:46 AM
Looks very light in colour if it's Jarrah. Not doubting you at all DD but it has come up beautifully.

;) :)

Jarrah can be very variable, anything from medium red to very dark brown. I try to go for the lighter red-coloured stuff when I can get it, but sometimes (as with this table's top) you have to use boards that don't match very well. The boards that form the shelf were resawn from a single 38 mm thick board, so they are pretty uniform.

Rocker

Peter36
10th December 2006, 12:07 PM

Rocker

They are great tables Rocker ,but you had better hold off on your shipment until the end of the series as you might have to make another three tables :D :D

martrix
10th December 2006, 12:19 PM
Martrix,

It not only felt much quicker - it was much quicker using the Domino. Each mortice only takes 10 seconds or so to cut, and you don't have to fiddle with cutting tenons, rounding their ends and fine-tuning their fit.

I get a local furniture removalist to pack and send stuff overseas. A set of four chairs and the two tables will probable cost about $900 to send by sea, including insurance. I air-freighted my rolltop desk and blanket chest, plus a large picture to Colorado; that cost about $4000, but the recipient was paying the freight:)

Rocker

Cool, I look forward to the speed factor of the D.

Youch! $4000 for the airfreight:eek: . I guess anyway you looked at it, there would be no cheap way of getting those sort of items O/S with out waiting 4 months for sea cargo.

Rocker
10th December 2006, 12:31 PM
Youch! $4000 for the airfreight:eek: . I guess anyway you looked at it, there would be no cheap way of getting those sort of items O/S with out waiting 4 months for sea cargo.

In fact, sending the desk, blanket chest, and picture by sea and then road freight to Colorado was going to cost about the same as sending them air freight, owing to the much shorter road distances involved with the air-freight option.

Rocker

coastie
10th December 2006, 05:10 PM
If you want to see some good Huon pine work,suggest a visit to the Powerhouse museum at Ultimo,there is a magnificent grand piano there,which I reckon is equal to anything in the world.:D

martrix
10th December 2006, 05:14 PM
If you want to see some good Huon pine work,suggest a visit to the Powerhouse museum at Ultimo,there is a magnificent grand piano there,which I reckon is equal to anything in the world.:D

http://www.ubeaut.biz/tearjerk.gif ?. :confused:......