PDA

View Full Version : Heads up !!

philly
8th December 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi all...

just listed this on ebay, hope you dont mind me spruking on this forum..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200056790179&rd=1&rd=1

Hardenfast
9th December 2006, 08:45 AM
So, Philly..... apologies for my extreme ignorance, but what is the exact purpose of this fascinating device? It's obviously something to do with bowl turning, but I've only just bought my 1st lathe and am still pondering over tools and attachments prior to turning my 1st piece.

I'm also assuming that Kel McNaughton is a well known name in lathe work. Any links to his stuff available (I'll do a search here shortly)? There was a link to an article here recently for a guy who carves really thin bowls etc, to the point they become translucent. Does this device help you do that? What do they cost new?

Of course, I don't expect to be able achieve a translucent finish on my 1st work - that will probably be my 2nd or maybe even 3rd attempt, right?...

SawDustSniffer
9th December 2006, 09:03 AM
only seen one of them once before and that was on Skew's peddle powered lathe
????? how do's it work again????

rsser
9th December 2006, 09:45 AM
You should add to your post the diameter of the gate post.

rsser
9th December 2006, 09:49 AM
So, Philly..... apologies for my extreme ignorance, but what is the exact purpose of this fascinating device? It's obviously something to do with bowl turning, but I've only just bought my 1st lathe and am still pondering over tools and attachments prior to turning my 1st piece.

I'm also assuming that Kel McNaughton is a well known name in lathe work. Any links to his stuff available (I'll do a search here shortly)? There was a link to an article here recently for a guy who carves really thin bowls etc, to the point they become translucent. Does this device help you do that? What do they cost new?

Of course, I don't expect to be able achieve a translucent finish on my 1st work - that will probably be my 2nd or maybe even 3rd attempt, right?...

Do a google - you'll find their site in NZ.

It's for coring small bowl blanks out of a larger lump of timber. You need a min. of a 1hp motor to (barely) cope and pref. more. [Edit: it also has a lance for deep parting].

The gate has a post that goes into your banjo in place of the toolrest and also be aware that there is a min. height needed between the top of the banjo and the lathe centre. (It won't eg. work on older Vicmarc 175s or maybe new ones as well; not enough clearance).

philly
9th December 2006, 03:02 PM
Hi all...
Thanks for your interest.
Hardenfast...thats exactly what it does. Ive used it on freshly cut timber to make a number of blanks...3 i think it was. So you basically turn a rough outside of a bowl and a spigot with a faceplate, chuck it with the spigot so the would-be bowl opening faces you...as you would if you were going to hollow the bowl..BUT!! instead of hollowing, you attach the post into your banjo and rest one of the cutters into the post and cut a smaller bowl shape from the blank...instead of shavings. You now take this smaller bowl..attach a faceplate and start again.

Ive just read this back to myself and it makes no sense!

The trick is...to use the right size and curve of cutter and place it into the right spot on your workpiece. Cos once youve picked your spot youve not really got any lateral movement. You basically move the post toward the work (away from the workpiece), then pivot the cutter so it slides in.
Sorry if this sounds complicated...its like teaching someone to whistle!
Its actually surprisingly workable...and a lot of fun.

For those really thin bowls...bear in mind you dont create the blanks that thin with this tool. On first effort you'd be lucky to cut blanks of 3/4 inch. This determines not so much the thickness of the bowls but the difference in size from one bowl to the next. When setting up the cut just look at the curvature of the cutter and the angle of appoach to the piece.

You need to keep your speed down too. Which is presumably why you need a decent motor...for the torque

Oh yeah..thanks Ern..its a 1" spigot...will update the listing.

New price is around $400. Bear in mind tho that theyre not always available... I had to wait months for mine. (Sorry if that makes me sound spivvy but its true!)

Cheers for now...

Phil

(I also have a Rolly Munroe hollower to be listed soon!)

Groggy
9th December 2006, 03:07 PM
Philly, the original post should have been in Buy Sell and Swap. I am leaving it here now as there has been discussion of the tool itself and the discussion is on topic.

Any future items being sold should be placed in Buy Sell and Swap.

Groggy
Super Moderator

philly
9th December 2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Groggy...thanks for that.

Im sorry.

Its just that I recently sold stuff on ebay and had a few pm's from this forum asking why I didnt alert forum members and to anounce here when I sold more tools.

No offence intended.

Regards

Phil

rsser
9th December 2006, 03:11 PM
In short, you core out several rough bowls from one lump of timber, rather than covering the floor with masses of shavings from from the inside and outside of one bowl.

philly
9th December 2006, 03:28 PM
In short, you core out several rough bowls from one lump of timber, rather than covering the floor with masses of shavings from from the inside and outside of one bowl.

Zackly!

OGYT
9th December 2006, 04:04 PM
A gentleman named Bill Grumbine has a couple of DVD's... one of 'em shows this system in use. He spins it at around 700-800 RPM when he cores bowls. Takes a little bit of learnin' but it's worth the money. Ever seen anything made in OZ and NZ that ain't? :o)