PDA

View Full Version : Fitting carbatec bearing guides to my new (secondhand) bandsaw

felixe
9th December 2006, 09:55 AM
I just bought the bearing guides from carbatec, when I went to fit them this morning I found the bracket was opposite to the original guides.:rolleyes:
I know nothing of metalwork so I need to ask some questions.:confused:

What drill (type) do I need to drill into the cast iron frame, I have HSS twist drills, are these sufficient?

Do I need lubrication, I am thinking a drop of oil?

The bolt is an M6 x 20 with a flat washer, so what size do I drill the hole?
So, When I drill the hole I assume I have to allow for cutting a thread?

What do I use to cut the thread? (I have never done this before)

Where can I get thread cutting tools for metal?

Any other tips?:eek:

I hope someone can answer, Soundman I hope you see this thread as you can recommend local suppliers, I am thinking trade tools?:confused:

Thanks.

Dan
9th December 2006, 10:21 AM
I prefer the ceramic guides from Northwood Tools and they won't require any mods to your saw.

If you still want to modify your saw then,

HSS drills are fine.

No lube required.

Drill 5mm hole.

You'll need to buy a thread tap (and a tap wrench is a good idea), there's usually three types available (taper, intermediate and bottoming) and it's a good idea to have a taper and a bottoming.

Hardware shop or engineering supplies shop.

Do some googling on thread cutting/tapping.

craigb
9th December 2006, 11:23 AM
I put these on my Jet and fortunately they fitted straight away.

This is just a thought, but is it possible to dismantle the bottom guides and then reverse the mounting block so that the holes line up on your saw?

If that would work you wouldn't have to do any drilling.

felixe
9th December 2006, 01:24 PM
Craigb, no this is not an option:(
Dan, I looked at the ceramic guides, but prefer to shop with Carbatec (based on my experience with both northwood - never again!:mad: and Carbatec:) )
I have the bearing guides and I really want to fit them!
Thanks for the tips!!:) :)