PDA

View Full Version : removing grain filler

jtmullet2006
9th December 2006, 11:55 AM
Does anyone have any advice on how to remove a oil based grain filler I have ben using naptha wich has taken some off but I can't get it out of the grain.

old_picker
9th December 2006, 12:22 PM
You could try acetone [nail polish remover]
you will need breathing apparatus and a stiff brush that the acetone wont dissolve. You could lso try paint stripper. wear full face mask and gloves.

If you persevere with naptha [known as lighter fluid here in oz] and a stiff brush you will get more of it out. Only use the acetone as a final clean out. Why do you want the grain filler out??

jtmullet2006
9th December 2006, 12:34 PM
long story I was helping a friend of mine finish a guitar one time and we used a natural colored grain filler so whe he went to start doing a sg he used the same stuff insted of the walnut tinted filler your supposed to use so now I am trying to help him out and fix it for him luckily though I caught it after only one coat but he put it on very thick.
p.s. when you say stiff brissled brush you mean just a paint brush right not a metal brissled one.

kiwigeo
9th December 2006, 01:00 PM
Be careful using acetone on dark coloured woods like rosewood...too much rubbing and you'll leach out the colour. Its a problem I've had while grain filling rosewood with pumice and alcohol.

My feeling is youre going to have major problems getting that filler out of pores but good luck anyway.

old_picker
9th December 2006, 02:40 PM
p.s. when you say stiff brissled brush you mean just a paint brush right not a metal brissled one.

No I mean like the nylon brush you use for scrubbing down your hands after working on the truck. dont use a metal brush. Another good one is a stiff bristled tooth brush with the bristles cut back to about 1/4" or a bit longer.

As kiwigeo say's be carefull with acetone and use it as a last resort. See how it reacts in the pickup cavities 1st. Paint stripper will proly get out what the naptha wont and that isnt that toxic for wood but it does eat meat.

How bout some b4 ad after shots???

jtmullet2006
9th December 2006, 06:06 PM
Well I would post picks but I don't have a digital camera but I'll see if my sister will let me barrow hers.