PDA

View Full Version : Munro mini hollower ... ?

rsser
9th December 2006, 12:35 PM
Hey folks,

I gather this was demo'd at the WWW show in Melb which I couldn't make.

Anyone had any experience with it? Is it the same design as the standard only smaller? If so, what range of hollowing is it good for?

I have the old version of the bigger model.

TIA,

Jim Carroll
9th December 2006, 05:36 PM
Ern unfortunately Rolly could not make the show in Melbourne due to getting metal in his eye, Not a good idea to fly due to cabin pressure problems.

The Mini hollowing tool is as the name suggests a smaller verion of his normal hollowing tool but using a 1/2" bar instead of the 5/8" and using 8mm cutters.

http://cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144956&product_id=1107415510

The jig will articulate much the same as the larger version. The main differance I have found is the feedback to the user. Using the 1/2" bar gives you more feel for what is happening in the hollow form allowing you to feel better where the high and low spots are so giving you a better chance to get an even wall thickness.

The design of the cutter and the shape of the guard allow the shavings to get away easily, if the tool feels like it is clogging it will self eject once you push the tool onto the timber. The only time I have had trouble is when using very fibrous material,but all other types of hollowing tools have the same trouble on this type of timber.

The safety point of the tool is the guard over the cutter in that it hepls protect you from catches that occur with open shaped cutter types. The guard acts like the bevel on your tools so you get that rubbing then bring the cutter into play and depending on how aggresive or fine your cut needs to be you can control it easily.

You can do a 6" deep form easily with about a 20mm opening. It is also available with Tungsten cutters as well as accessories.

I tend to use this more these days as it is very comfortable to use and easily adjusted for depth of cut.

I am more of a hands type turner so like the feedback this gives you and the independent control instead of having tools in gates and fixed jigs.

Again for the first timers practice on green timber to get the feel of what the tool can do for you.

rsser
10th December 2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks Jim; v. helpful.

Does the standard Munro sharpening jig also work for the mini cutters?

hughie
10th December 2006, 11:33 AM
The design of the cutter and the shape of the guard allow the shavings to get away easily, if the tool feels like it is clogging it will self eject once you push the tool onto the timber. The only time I have had trouble is when using very fibrous material,but all other types of hollowing tools have the same trouble on this type of timber.

The safety point of the tool is the guard over the cutter in that it hepls protect you from catches that occur with open shaped cutter types. The guard acts like the bevel on your tools so you get that rubbing then bring the cutter into play and depending on how aggresive or fine your cut needs to be you can control it easily.

Jim,

Query, has Rolly modified the cutter to have a different guard from his previous design. I checked the pic but could not discern the changes if any.
I like the idea of a tungsten cutter for long life, although you will get a keener edge on the HSS due the structure of the metal. But going thorugh a 20mm hole I dont suppose this is something to worry about...bit tricky on the sanding :D

All in all it sounds like a good tool to have around

rsser
10th December 2006, 12:53 PM
All in all it sounds like a good tool to have around

Yep. Putting in a call to Santa :D

rsser
10th December 2006, 01:03 PM
Better pics here Hughie:

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tools-munr-minhol

hughie
10th December 2006, 06:51 PM
Better pics here Hughie:

Ern,

Thanks, if Santa visits be interested in your appraisal of the mini cutter.

TTIT
11th December 2006, 12:18 AM
Ern,

Thanks, if Santa visits be interested in your appraisal of the mini cutter.Ditto!

Jim Carroll
11th December 2006, 08:00 AM
Ern when you get the kit it has a sharpening mandrel with it.

Hughie the challange is to work through the smallest opening possible and get a finish of the tool that does not require sanding,

Two problems woodies have is that when the pick up a peice they turn it over to see how it was held and they stick their finger in the hole to see how smooth it is. where have I heard that before.;)

Hughie you are right about the difference between the HSS cutters and the TCT cutters but some woods cut better with the TCT so it gives you an alternative instead of trying to bully the peice into submission.

rsser
11th December 2006, 08:16 AM
I notice some reaction among US pro turners against working to get immaculate insides to hollow forms.

With my last semi-enclosed piece I decided to texture the inside and created corduroy all the way down with a toothpick. It was a badly stained bit of mango and the rustic effect did no harm.