PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have heard of Stubby lathes?

rsser
9th December 2006, 01:25 PM
Asking cos I'm getting tired of referring folk to the other locally made option.

Seems a shame to have another excellent local product that so few know about.

I only heard about them by word of mouth, from my turning teachers.

btw, I have no financial connection with Omega/Stubby.

bsrlee
10th December 2006, 12:36 AM
I've HEARD of them, I just have no idea where to buy one nor have I even seen one at a wood show.

If they don't have a 'loud' web prescence, then a lot of people would think they are like a lot of old Oz brands and that they have gone the way of the Tasmanian Tiger.

Slow6
10th December 2006, 01:03 AM
I've seen yours Ern... I gotta admit I liked the look of the lathe but have never come across a single add or piece of information about them on my wanderings.

aren't thay a tassie mob?

tashammer
10th December 2006, 04:23 AM
http://omegastubbylathes.com/Front_Pagex.html

OGYT
10th December 2006, 05:54 AM
I've never seen one in real life, but I've seen photos. Lot's of the folks over on WC talk up their Stubby's, and like them better than Oneway's or Powermatics. They say the head and tail stocks are spot on. I think they must be a well-engineered Lathe.

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2006, 08:36 AM
I've seen yours Ern... I gotta admit I liked the look of the lathe but have never come across a single add or piece of information about them on my wanderings.

aren't thay a tassie mob?

They are at Carrum Downs, they used to be in Seaford in Victoria.

Have been to their factory and they are well setup.

Doughboy
10th December 2006, 08:49 AM
Deej

Are they a good alternative to the Vicmarc or the DVR 3000XP?

What are the price differences?

Pete

PS - Damn I am a lazy barsteward!!!!:o

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2006, 08:56 AM
Deej

Are they a good alternative to the Vicmarc or the DVR 3000XP?

What are the price differences?

Pete

PS - Damn I am a lazy barsteward!!!!:o

I have the 300VL Vicmarc which I am happy with, but if I had the extra dough to get an Omega built to my specs, I would have got one.

A mate of mine bought one built to his specs and he didn't get much change out of $10 grand :eek:

rsser
10th December 2006, 10:03 AM
TTIT's been talking to them about the S750 and update you on the cost.

They aren't cheap but the design is brilliant. Moving bed plus auxiliary bed so you get a very strong lathe both for spindle and faceplate work. Huge swing.

ptc
10th December 2006, 10:11 AM
and as big as a Hummer

Ironwood
10th December 2006, 11:34 AM
I think I saw a short article or an advert (not sure), for them once in a American mag. going under the name of "John Jordan"

RETIRED
10th December 2006, 12:11 PM
I think I saw a short article or an advert (not sure), for them once in a American mag. going under the name of "John Jordan"John Jordan is/was their American agent.

rsser
10th December 2006, 12:55 PM
John Jordan is/was their American agent.

Yes, was. Now Bill Rubenstein.

JJ's name is cast on my bed; the unit was originally destined for the US where still most of them are sold I believe.

Tony Morton
10th December 2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Ern
Stubby advertise in Aust Woodworker and Aust wood Review

Cheers tony

TTIT
11th December 2006, 12:08 AM
TTIT's been talking to them about the S750 and update you on the cost.

They aren't cheap but the design is brilliant. Moving bed plus auxiliary bed so you get a very strong lathe both for spindle and faceplate work. Huge swing.Had a yarn to them last week. Very helpful bloke explained that most of their sales are to the USA and a few all over the world but not many at home. Expensive but not as much as I expected - $6050 for the S750. I've never seen or used one but I too think the design is brilliant and I'm seriously considering one in the New year. It would suit the way I operate perfectly. Vermec at Kippa-ring in QLD badge them up also and the pricing is pretty much the same.
How to justify the cost??? I figure I spent $15K on my ute and spend an average of 3 hours a week in it. I reckon I spend about 10 to 20 hours a week at the lathe - why shouldn't it be the best?!!!?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th December 2006, 12:57 AM
How to justify the cost??? I figure I spent $15K on my ute and spend an average of 3 hours a week in it. I reckon I spend about 10 to 20 hours a week at the lathe - why shouldn't it be the best?!!!?

I love your reasoning! :D:D

hughie
11th December 2006, 11:21 AM
]I love your reasoning! :D:D

Ahhh! The logic of a clear thinker. Brilliant piece of thinking, outstanding financial deduction. :D :D :D :D :D

Mr Unknown
11th December 2006, 03:44 PM
that seems a bit steep for the lathe but i havent seen one in the raw. One thing i notice alot of lathes have is the tailstock is how should i say hollow. When i was at TAFE and work i was tought to look certain things in lathes and having a solid tailstock was one of them, also another thing ive noticed is how small the wheels are on the tailstocks, a bigger wheel makes it so much easier to tighten up.

The Lathes i used to work on at work were Goldies that turned up to about 2m (except the main one i turned on which was 6m), dont know if anyone has heard of that brand but they were a very tough lathe and very solid. Im pretty sure my boss designed them himself, and then george from lidcombe tafe designed a lathe and it was pretty much a replica of the goldies my old boss designed, George even came to the factory a few times to take a look at our lathes, but never gave any credit to my old boss who pretty much came up with most of the design.
Ill see if i can find some pics and post em up.

rsser
11th December 2006, 04:15 PM
So for those with Vicmarcs, what are the $$ for 2hp var speed and a swing of 375mm?

baxter
11th December 2006, 05:55 PM
Omega Tool & Engineering P/L were on Stand 150 at the 2006 Melbourne Working With Wood Show - adjacent to Vermec and opposite the Cross Cut Saw Racing.

Several of the Stubby lathes were on display and being demonstrated. I recall that one had a sold Happy Birthday note on it.

The pamphlet being handed out carried the notation

"Specifications and pricing subject to revision without notice. Prices include GST. Prices effective January 1st, 2002".

The prices shown for the various models were:

S1000 - $7700 S750 - $6050 S500 - $4986 Nugget - $3605

This is the price quoted to TTIT for the S750.

All models are noted as being "infinitely variable", but this doesn't seem to get a mention on the website.

They looked to be big mean mothers:D. The pamphlet read "Industrial Quality Throughout" and this probably summed up my feelings about them - they are more than the needs of the average joe.

I don't want to get into a debate about the pros and cons about this or that lathe compared to any other - some people like Holden, some people like Ford and apparently Skew dreams about BMWs:p ;) .

But rsser did raise a comparison with Vicmarc. For the record, the Nova DVR 3000 (not the new XD) is 2.3hp, 1000mm between centres and a swing of 385mm. Has variable speed from 100 to 3500rpm with swivel headstock that increases the swing capacity. An outrigger attachment gives swing to the floor and there is potential to add a bed extension. They retailed for around $2,650.

Value for money, give me the DVR, I can spend the rest on something else.

I might add that, at the Wood Show I commented about the Stubby lathes to somebody whose opinion I value. His comment was that, in his opinion, the Stubby was overkill and that the DVR could do all that any of the Stubby lathes could do.

But each to their own. Buy what you can afford and what you want.

OGYT
12th December 2006, 02:49 PM
While usin' Old Griz, and wantin' bigger, I was checking out the differences between the Oneway and the Powermatic. Price was one of the differences... a big one.
An elderly gentleman told me, "Al, don't spend your life settlin' for second best. Sell your first born, sell your truck, buy the lathe you want, then make enough bowls to buy back your firstborn and buy a new truck."
I took his advice. (but Her Majesty wouldn't let me sell the firstborn.) :o

Gino
12th December 2006, 03:24 PM
Never mind Al. Some women are just plain unreasonable.

Gino

rsser
20th December 2006, 05:59 PM
Baxter, I'm not into pissing matches either, but I would say that the Stubby 1000/750 and the Nova DVR are not in the same class of machine and so it's not a fair call to compare them.

Slow6
20th December 2006, 08:13 PM
the Stubby 1000/750 and the Nova DVR are not in the same class of machine and so it's not a fair call to compare them.

I'd second that.. having eyeballed Erns Stubby in person (even if just briefly) I'd have to say that it was by far the most serious lathe I've seen apart from the Old 3 meter wadkin beasts that still live in the back of some shops.
I reckon the nova (and both my woodfasts) look like volkswagons in comparison.

having said that I doubt I'd consider one seriously.. I'd be far more inclined to get really silly with my 7grand, buy an old patten makers lathe and do a full resto.

baxter
21st December 2006, 07:41 AM
Baxter, I'm not into pissing matches either, but I would say that the Stubby 1000/750 and the Nova DVR are not in the same class of machine and so it's not a fair call to compare them.

Ern I agree with you that the Stubby 1000/750 and the Nova DVR are not in the same class of machine. That is why, in my post, I referred to the Stubby Lathes as being "big mean mothers" and mentioned the manufacturer's description of them as being "Industrial Strength Throughout". You will also recall that, before I mentioned any other lathe, I also commented that "they are more than the needs of the average Joe".

The only reason that I made any reference to the Nova DVR 3000, in this thread about Stubby Lathes, was that you had previously asked

So for those with Vicmarcs, what are the $$ for 2hp var speed and a swing of 375mm

and I offered the information about the Nova as a form of response to your inquiry.

I have no problem with people buying equipment that suits their person needs and that is probably why Stubby lathes are offered in a number of configurations - to suit the requirements of the individual.

rsser
21st December 2006, 08:57 AM
Fair enough; apologies for a wrong assumption.

I agree that it's horses for courses, and was interested in the comparitive price of say a Vicmarc 300 shortbed as perhaps coming closest to the S1000/750 by way of lathes readily available here.

ptc
21st December 2006, 12:02 PM
Ern's has done a bit of sailing as well !

rsser
21st December 2006, 02:56 PM
Ern's has done a bit of sailing as well !
... and that was before we got to the ferry ;-}

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2006, 03:53 PM
Fair enough; apologies for a wrong assumption.

I agree that it's horses for courses, and was interested in the comparitive price of say a Vicmarc 300 shortbed as perhaps coming closest to the S1000/750 by way of lathes readily available here.

G'day Ern

I have the shortbed VL300 1.5hp with the extension bed, which I can turn in or outboard.

I got it about 5yrs ago brand new and I think I paid $4600.

To date she has been a very nice solid machine and I have had some pieces up to a metre in diameter on her :eek: . And this is without the machine bolted down to the floor :eek: .

The beauty about the varaible speeds is you can start off at 10rpm and wind it up till it just starts walking and then back it off a tad :) .

TTIT
23rd December 2006, 01:14 AM
His comment was that, in his opinion, the Stubby was overkill and that the DVR could do all that any of the Stubby lathes could do.

Not so! After too many hours pondering the pro's and con's of the 3 lathes I've narrowed my choice down to, I finally hit on the one thing that really separates the Stubby from all the others.
I was trying to work out why I only resorted to outboard turning when I had no choice. Was it just that the old MC900 toolrest extensions were too flexible?:confused: - no, I could have fabricated a chunky great outrigger of some sort.
Was it that everything would jump around the shed as the larger blanks rarely balance?:confused: - no, I could have made a chunky great stand to settle that down.
But that's the point isn't it - it's the bigger blanks that are more unbalanced - which is precisely when you want extra support and you can't bring up the tailstock for anything bigger than 400mm on any of the others!!!! As an example, the DVR XP (was 2nd choice) is rated at 740mm swing using the outrigger but you can't use tailstock support once you have to go outboard at 400mm. The S750 Stubby does 750mm diameter BETWEEN CENTRES so to speak.
Next question - is it worth nearly $3000 extra for that functionality???? - who cares:cool: - I called Enzo this morning to arrange a 'meeting' with an S750 next month anyway! As long as it meets my expectations (shouldn't be too hard), I'll be bringing the sweetie home with me:D.
Decided to look at it this way. If I live another 20 years and don't get the Stubby, I'll waste 20 years wishing I had. If I get the Stubby and cark it a week later - at least I got to use one!:)

tashammer
23rd December 2006, 06:46 AM
You going to post a pic of you standing next to your new love when it arrives then are you TTIT?

TTIT
24th December 2006, 12:25 AM
You going to post a pic of you standing next to your new love when it arrives then are you TTIT?Possibilty Tas, but I don't have the view/backdrop Festo has - hmmmm - will have to work on that.;)

rsser
24th December 2006, 08:51 AM
I called Enzo this morning to arrange a 'meeting' with an S750 next month anyway! As long as it meets my expectations (shouldn't be too hard), I'll be bringing the sweetie home with me:D.
Decided to look at it this way. If I live another 20 years and don't get the Stubby, I'll waste 20 years wishing I had. If I get the Stubby and cark it a week later - at least I got to use one!:)

Way to go Vern!

Then you'll need a deeper hollowing kit, block and tackle or engine crane etc etc.

One of the projects on my list is to fit a bowl steady to the auxiliary bed and banjo.

TTIT
24th December 2006, 11:55 PM
One of the projects on my list is to fit a bowl steady to the auxiliary bed and banjo.
Damn good idea Ern - will have to remember that one! (Great:( - at 'to-do' list for the stubby and I haven't even got it yet!)

rsser
25th December 2006, 07:19 AM
Damn good idea Ern - will have to remember that one! (Great:( - at 'to-do' list for the stubby and I haven't even got it yet!)

Lol, well you'll have it til your last gasp so why not.

Don't know if you know them but do a Google on Oneway bowl steady; that's a design I like and figure it may be simpler to build off a post in the banjo.

Little Festo
25th December 2006, 08:58 AM
I agree the Stubby may not suit a lot of turners, be either overkill or too expensive, but for those producing gallery work or wanting a solid workhorse it's a very good investment. The ability to turn larger pieces, up to a meter in diameter, is a big plus, also I've noticed out of round blanks are handled very well indeed with less vibration so higher speeds can be used safely.

I also have a Vicmarc 300 that will find a position next to the Stubby. I agree with an earlier post re the wheel on the tailstock. Sorry to say I think that the Vicmarc's tailstock is better than the Stubbies, actually heavier. It as a longer movement and is very smooth with a nice big handwheel (still glad I bought the Stubby).

As Resser said it would be unfair to compare the DVR to the Stubby lathes. I've used a DVR and the most noticable thing is it's lack of weight/strength compared to the Stubby (or Vicmarc) lathes mentioned, also it's tailstock dosent compre very well at all. The one I used would always become very 'tight" and be difficult to use, I will say that the DVR was used quite heavily, possibly more than the average turner would. I'm not saying that the DVR is a bad lathe at all. I've enjoyed using one and have seen brilliant work produced on DVRs, just dosen't handle larger sized pieces as well. Having a more expensive/bigger lathe dosen't make you a better turner just makes life a bit easier

Must be off up the shed, a friend dropped in some wood yesterday from some of the trees knocked down by a bad storm last week, some corkwood, black wattle and bloodwood (looks nice) and a burl or two.

Hope you all have a happy and safe Christmas and lots of productive turning.

Peter

rodent
4th January 2007, 10:52 AM
Heard of them seen them in action want one ,some where over the rainbow .maybe in my next life?

TimberNut
5th January 2007, 10:01 AM
hey Rssr, I've got a VL300 short bed, with Enzo's swivel tail stock attachment. I got Vicmarc to change the standard 1.5KW motor with a 2.2KW when I bought it a couple of years ago. I also got the switches mounted on a moveable control box. I just checked their website, and they now advertise the larger motor as an option if you want it...

Can't remember the exact figure I paid (SWMBO might see this one day and want to know.... :D ) but I think it owes me about $6K +

To jump into the p1ssing match for a sec - DVR XP - nice lathe and the next best option if I could not have afforded the Vicmarc.
VL300 vs Stubby - gimme both! Hey wait, I've got one.... better build a bigger shed so I can house a Stubby next to the VL300, then hiho, hiho, off shopping we go.....

So the question asked by some - does the average turner need a Vicmarc or a Stubby? No, i don't think so, but the typical hobbyist turner rarely steps outside their comfort zone anyway, so wouldn't utilize the features offered by these two. That said, find me one who wouldn't have either if you offered it to them....

rsser
5th January 2007, 11:13 AM
Movable control box is a damn good idea I reckon.

TimberNut
5th January 2007, 12:21 PM
I totally agree. Apparently this was a 'special' mod - not generally offered unless requested. How people manage outboard turning with all the switches still on the main lathe body, is beyond me. How do you turn the lathe off in a hurry if you are working outboard, and something goes, err, amiss!

I have attached pic of it the day it was delivered (it's somewhat dustier now...) Box has magnetic base, and I can locate it anywhere around the lathe I want depending on what I'm doing. On/Off and knee-stop on main lathe body still work, but variable speed controller only operates on remote box.

Not sure what this mod added to the cost, but from memory it was about $150. Well worth it.

rsser
5th January 2007, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't be hard for someone a bit handy to remove the fixed switches and mount them to a box (tho prob contrary to local codes not to have a licensed sparky to do it).

Mine didn't come with a magnetic base but a couple of small rare earth magnets fixed that.

DJ’s Timber
5th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Wouldn't be hard for someone a bit handy to remove the fixed switches and mount them to a box

Thats exactly what I did to mine. It was pretty easy to do, all the holes where the wires go were numbered or lettered and the wires were color coded or numbered as well.

Fireman sam
5th January 2007, 08:57 PM
i am a hobbiest and i have a vl300 long bed lathe after having a tl1500 lathe for 10 years
the funds became avalible to buy the new lathe and the price was right so if i didnt jump at it i would have regreted it :thewave:
my wife talked me into it
Andrew:2tsup: