PDA

View Full Version : Ausralian Blackheart Sassafras

Sir Chiz
10th May 2003, 07:09 AM
Australian Blackheart Sassafras/Walnut lid.

Any feedback wood be apreciated.
Yes,no,maybe? :D

Thanks.

Sir Chiz
10th May 2003, 07:16 AM
The other side.

Wild Dingo
11th May 2003, 07:36 PM
Brilliant!!!!!!! now I can see why Mac McCarthy would like to build one of his wee lassie canoes out of Sassafras!! beutifull mate :cool:

Sir Chiz
23rd May 2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks Shane...11-5,I guess I dozed off. :o

I guess you,me and the buyer are the only people that like it. :D

'pre-she-ate your kindness! :)

Phil.

Wild Dingo
23rd May 2003, 06:52 PM
Gidday again mate.
Look Ive got a curious thing happening just now... I went down to bunbury to have a gander around the timber at the timber auction that Ken told you all about... found that snotty gobble stuff and well I was not altogether impressed... although now Im thinking about it it would probably turn quite well and carve even better... Have you ever used this stuff?

size of the snotty gobble was 220 {8 1/2"} x 25 (1") x 1800 {5'11"} although that isnt right it was more like 4ft tops color ranged from a deep red outside to a pale almost white in the centre the wood had a decided bend from about a foot from eather end

Now I will admit here that Im now firmly in love with Banksia English Oak Mallaluca and Rose Gum man thems pretty wood!! plenty of these at the auction along with some spotted gum which I might have a go at. :D all in planks... some still laying as a log but cut through and stickered... which should I aim to get... mmmmm??? :cool:

Sir Chiz
23rd May 2003, 06:58 PM
Snotty Gobble??? :D
Can ya translate that into American?? :D

Help!I'm floundering!

Phil.

Wild Dingo
23rd May 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Sir Chiz
Snotty Gobble??? :D
Can ya translate that into American?? :D

Help!I'm floundering!

Phil.

HAHAHA ! That will teach me for posting without looking at ones location on this big ol onion!

Snotty Gobble ala Persoonia saccata here in West Aus and Cassytha filiformis in South Aus

Info being scarce I will give you what I have available...

From http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/carr/laur.htm

Cassytha filiformis, kauna'oa pehu. This exceptional Hawaiian native member of the family is a stem parasite that survives by attaching itself to other plants. Notice the twine-like, orange stems and small round fruits. The stems are sometimes green, as seen in the lower photo. Although very small, the flowers are typical for the family, including the anthers that open by flaps. The anthers are greenish and the flaps are white in this flower.

And from http://f2.org/humour/language/oddwords.html

There are many similar examples of common names being applied to disparate plants or plant groups. One is snotty-gobble (the parasite Cassytha [filiformis] in South Australia, Persoonia saccata in Western Australia)

Pictures are even rarer so here is the sole one Ive found although which one is the snotty gobble is a bit of a hit and miss Im afraid :rolleyes:

http://www.yelvertonbrook.com.au/images/Walktrail1.jpg

So I guess someone in Hawaii may well have more info available to them than I can get through google!

Sir Chiz
24th May 2003, 03:56 AM
Ohhhhhh,that SnottyGobble,Nope never heard of it.

Can't afford that Import stuff,too expensive! :D

Sorry I can't help.

Phil.

jhunt_2000
17th June 2003, 11:02 AM
Hey Ive heard of Snotty Gobble.We used to eat the fruits in the Territory when I was a kid. I dont seem to remember too much usable wood though. And yes they are the parasitic grow off other tree plant thingies. I'm going back up for a wedding in two weeks so I'll keep my eyes open for some. While I'm at it anyone got any suggestions for other exotics I should look for? I'll be in Darwin for a month, travelling up from South Oz. Ta.

jhunt_2000
17th June 2003, 11:05 AM
Oh, and I forgot. That's a beautiful box Sir Chiz.

cliff cook
21st June 2003, 12:24 AM
G`day sir chiz
Butifull piece.
Query?
How did you find working with sassafrass ?
The reason for asking is that i brought back a couple of small pieces from a recent visit to tas and am having all sorts of problems turning it. First it shear`d off at the foot when i had a small digg-in and then when i cut a recess for the nova chuck it broke away along the grain.
any advise gratfully aceped ( its to bloody expensive to waste!)
cooky

Sir Chiz
21st June 2003, 04:50 AM
Thanks JHunt and Cooky!! :)

Cooky,the sassafras was still green when I got it and was quite soft,it was still rather soft after it dried.I had quite a bit of tear out when it was green and still had some after it was dry.
I've only been turning two years so my technique is still ummm,lacking.
I learned early to use a tenon for the chuck as much as possible,a recess breaks too easy.
It's easier to glue a tenon back on than to split a mortice.
I suggest using your tailstock for support as much as possible,if you're turning a bowl,leave a column in the center for the tailstock and remove that last.
This piece distorted quite a bit when drying so if yours is still wet,you may want to leave it a bit thicker than usual for re-turning.

Thanks again!

Phil.