PDA

View Full Version : Clocks

dan_tom
10th December 2006, 09:25 AM
Hi there

I made a tidal clock for my Dad yesterday for Christmas. I figured something all in one would be best, so not only is it a clock, but also has the tidal part (based on lunar cycles), temperature and barometer. I know when Dad sees it he'll think the only thing missing is a rain gauge! He loves fishing and will hopefully love this clock. I don't know what the timber is, but I have named it "turdwood" as that's what it smelt like when it was freshly cut . The smell went away after a few minutes of cutting it - it looks like red gum (darker) but certainly doesn't smell like it and the timber itself is really heavy. Any ideas?

I also made an industrial design clock out of a piece of steel scrap metal from my Uncle's shed (cane farmer), so not sure whether it is from a harvester or a tractor! Both clocks are finished with orange oil and wax.

The other photo is of me in woodworking mode. Yep, a lady woodworker for those of you who didn't know!

We're also working on a blanket box at the moment and about 10 picture frames for nagging friends and family! WIP photos of those later.

Cheers
Dan

Doughboy
10th December 2006, 09:33 AM
The old man should love them, they look great ...... well done. As for the wood I like the name you have given it,

Turdwood AKA Robustus Smellius Lotsus.

Pete

AlexS
10th December 2006, 11:10 AM
Dan, you've really gotta get a flash for that camera! It's hard to get a good look at the clocks from those pics. Look good from what I can see. Can't tell about the timber, although Silky Oak has that "What have I stepped in?" smell when worked.

In the last pic, I trust that "earmuffs and eye protection have been removed for clarity".;)

Ironwood
10th December 2006, 11:26 AM
Nice work Dan, and a great present that will be treasured, I'm sure.

Cant help with the timber I.D. but I have some Black Wattle from FNQ. that smells like catspee when it is first worked.

Peter36
10th December 2006, 11:43 AM
Dan,
In the last pic, I trust that "earmuffs and eye protection have been removed for clarity".;)
Gee Dan Tom's got big red ears then. :D :D

AlexS
10th December 2006, 11:44 AM
Gee Dan Tom's got big red ears then. :D :D

Oops! Sorry Dan, guess I just had a man's look.:o

Harry72
10th December 2006, 01:32 PM
NIce work Danni.

" The other photo is of me in woodworking mode. Yep, a lady woodworker for those of you who didn't know!"
A lady woodworker who put's most blokes to shame, that is!

dan_tom
11th December 2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys! AlexS, the photos seem OK when they are the full 10.2MP when taken, it's just when I use an image resizer that they seem to get darker as I drop them below 100KB. I don't know how to fix this - any ideas?

Cheers
Dan

dan_tom
11th December 2006, 08:43 AM
Two more pics to add to this post - I also made a natural edged full length mirror for my sister (the piece of red gum had split, so I made the outside edge straight and the inside edge was left wiggly) and framed a Christopher May print of a mangrove jack for my brother. He loves his fishing and this is a sneaky way of getting him to love art too!

Both are finished with oil and wax.

Cheers
Dan

bitingmidge
11th December 2006, 08:51 AM
Dan,

Nice work as usual!

I love the metric industrial clock or aren't the holes supposed to represent hours? :D

You may have to adjust the contrast and/or light balance of your pics after resizing, or use another bit of software.

If you haven't got into "digital darkroom" stuff yet, it's time for a bit of software!

I know it has its knockers, but I still think photoshop elements is good value, or Gimp probably has more features for free, so the cost of experimenting isn't too great. There are others here who can give you heaps better advice than me on this!

Cheers,

P

Wongo
11th December 2006, 09:02 AM
Nice fish.

So Dan, no dust mask, no blade guard and no push stick. That will get you into a lot of trouble here.

:p

TEEJAY
11th December 2006, 01:37 PM
The clocks and the mirror look great :)