PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my college course

hedgehog
10th May 2003, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I've been keen carver for many years now and my preferred style is to do small work in the round using knives and a small number of gouges. I like to be able to carve almost anywhere and always carry a pocket knife and a bit of wood. More and more often I have found myself wishing I had the odd gouge or two in my pocket as well. Anyway, to the point, I am doing a design course and have to do a project so thought I would combine my hobby with my course. I am designing a small set of tools,(no more than four) which will fit in my pocket and each have their own handles so no need to change handles every time I want to change tools.
What I need help with is a spot of market research, I need to know theoretically whether there are any other carvers out there who would buy such a set if it were available and what sort of cost they might pay.

I would like to assure you all that I am a private individual, I am not going to manufacture this tool and therefore I am not trying to sell you anything. I just want some help.

Thanks

nadcarves
11th May 2003, 11:54 AM
Great idea,they have been out 30 years.If you are looking for a kit,I suggest Warren tools,have had some experience with their steel and it was/is good. I have seen the kits come up on E-bay US and they go for a fraction of the new price ,which is about 50 bucks,,, Do you live anywhere Hilperton,I need a photograph of the stock in Rod Naylor's front yard.He is on Devizes Road in the town................

hedgehog
12th May 2003, 12:38 AM
Thanks for that,

Yes I have seen the Warren sets but they have the same problem as the others I've seen. You have to change the blades or the gouges using the same handle for all of them. That's what I want to get away from.

zymurgy
12th May 2003, 01:33 AM
What about a Swiss Army style, still only one handle, pull out the gouge you need.

You could call it a (G)eneral (O)uting (U)tility (G)ouge (E)quipment.

Sorry!

Gordon.

nadcarves
12th May 2003, 02:16 AM
Gordon,copyright that now,before some large Corporation does and sues you for putting GOUGE on the net without their permission.Really liked the Swiss Army knife idea.Regarding market survey question,How many would buy? Sorry,I'm out..However, the U.K. seems to have a lot of schemes and bits of money,to fund small business new ventures.The development of such an item,and resulting funds,could probably support the kid for at least a year.So woodcarvers,should we find out that a development loan is being considered,I think we get together and all send out the following e-mail," Great idea,when will the item be on the market?"We can have the satisfaction of knowing at least one wood carver got some tax money back instead of giving it to big OIL.......nad