PDA

View Full Version : Good bandsaw recommedation--please answer

lubbing5cherubs
10th December 2006, 03:43 PM
HI I am after a bandsaw around $300 what would you recommend? I apologise if this been hashed a 1000 times. but I have a limited budget. Thanks Toni

lubbing5cherubs
10th December 2006, 03:50 PM
shoot! I am in nearly in the wrong area. but I would like to learn this too for nice pen cases. Sorry guys
bye
Toni

baxter
10th December 2006, 04:14 PM
shoot! I am in nearly in the wrong area. but I would like to learn this too for nice pen cases. Sorry guys
bye
Toni

Toni, from the above (and comments that you have previously made in this and other threads:D ) you are after a bandsaw that will be able to cut blanks for pens, general woodturning and for bandsawn boxes. That being the case you want one with a minimum depth of cut of 150mm (6") and a reasonable throat width. Therefore you are in the range of a 14" bandsaw.

For your intended use your minimum requirement is a single speed 1ph motor.

Your present budget would probably get you a reasonable second hand bandsaw to fill your needs. The general subject was recently covered in Felixe's thread in the Bandsaw thread (sorry don't know how to link to other threads:D :D )

But be careful that the bandsaw you choose will be capable of taking a small (1/8" or 3/16") blade as you need that capacity to cut curves for bandsawn boxes. Some of the larger bandsaws may not accept a small width blade, but you don't really want a bandsaw that will take a 1" blade either. A 14" will do all that you want to do:cool:

Personally I would recommend the Jet 14" Bandsaw and the pros and cons have been discussed throughout various threads. But a new one is probably a bit over double your present budget. But it is like a lathe, you get what you pay for and the more you use it the chances are that you will want a better one.:)

Think of waiting until the budget meets the good bandsaw price. In the long run you won't regret waiting:D :D

Jim Carroll
10th December 2006, 05:29 PM
Toni tend to agree with baxter , save a bit more so you will not be dissapointed.
Most reasonable bandsaws are around the $600.00 mark.

old_picker
10th December 2006, 06:29 PM
Hi Toni, I rcently bought the jet deluxe and am quite happy with it and I am very picky on tools. I paid $720.00. After xmas you should find some good deals. The standard jet is a bit cheaper. If your in melbourne check out woodworking warehouse in braeside for jet. Carbatec have some nice ones as well.

You get what you pay for and a $300 bandsaw will be 2nd hand or new and cheesey. You might be happy with smaller than 14" but still your going to pay more than $300.00. If you buy cheap it will bring frustration and you won't be able to resell. The Jet is a good solid machine with cast iron frame with 9 spoke iron wheels. 1.25 HP motor as well.

Sprog
10th December 2006, 07:08 PM
Don't even think about those cheap bench bandsaws, they will give you nothing but grief.
I went down that road and after much frustration I bought a 14" bandsaw and have never looked back since.
You need a minimum of 14" throat x 6 " depth of cut.
The "cheap" Chinese bandsaw can be made to give quite acceptable performance if you are willing to spend some time tuning them up.
Jet and the other named bandsaws give excellent results straight out of the box and you will never have any complaints about them.

lubbing5cherubs
10th December 2006, 07:23 PM
what about the 10" carbetech...No good?
Toni

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Toni

I can't comment on the 10" bandsaw, but I have got it's bigger brother and after some finetuning I am happy with it. Would have liked a bigger one but the dollars often dictate what you can buy.

I reckon the 10" one would be okay for you as long as you don't going forcing the timber thru, let the machine do the work.

lubbing5cherubs
10th December 2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks DJ, I learnt that on my GMC baby one but it can't cut through anything larger than a pen blank. She just painful won't cut anything bigger.
Toni

Jim Carroll
11th December 2006, 08:14 AM
Toni its a lot to do with the wheel size that makes a good bandsaw.

On the smaller 9-10" models you have a small radius so the blade has to bend sharply , on the 14" and above the bend is a lot slower so not as much stress on the blade.

A lot of bandsaw blade makers hate doing the blades for the smaller machine because the break so easily and a lot will not warrant them.

If you can imagine the blade straight there is no stress but when you bend it around the wheel you are stretching the fibres of the metal so if you are going around a small wheel they get stretched more and finally break. By going around the 14" wheel there is a lot less stress and the same can be said for the larger machines.

I use a 14" bandsaw most of the time and do not break blades.

felixe
11th December 2006, 10:09 AM
Lubbing5Cherubs, I just bought a 2nd hand 14 inch Carbatec bandsaw (the $529 model) for $215, 3 new blades cost me $70 and a new guide kit cost me $97 including the tools to install it (had to tap new threads) I resawed some of E.Macs reject floor boards last night as a trial and wooohooo! it works a treat.
If you can find a good 2nd hand bandsaw, then go for it. My research before hand was to pester everyone here on what to look for and also I got some bandsaw books from the local library.:D