PDA

View Full Version : sanding inside lidded boxes

lubbing5cherubs
11th December 2006, 12:07 AM
Hi Can someone please help me out. how do i sand inside the lidded bowl to get them neat inside and finish
Thanks Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th December 2006, 12:14 AM
Jam chucks are one option. But I've found an easier way... :)

I'm having the same problem when turning the inside of those little finialled ornamental boxes I'm currently playing with and luckily for you I currently have one I'm in the middle of making.

Pic 1 shows the chuck and jaws I'm using to turn the box. Instead of changing jaws to finish the lid, I made the adapter specifically to fit them. It's basically just a collet. Why change jaws when it's not necessary? ;) The same method can be used with "normal" 45mm jaws (for example) but the adapter would need to be a bit different.

Pic 2 is the lid I want to clean up. I'll be hollowing the base and giving it a polish, so mounting it properly is very important!

Pix 3 & 4 is the collet I made. First, I roughed a piece of wood to fit nicely inside the jaws when it's almost completely shut. Then I drilled out the middle (it goes all the way through, like a pen-blank) so the finial won't get broken off.

Because these jaws are "square" on the inside (they don't have a taper like normal jaws) I turned a ring on the outside at the spot where the ends of the jaws will "squash" the wood. Then I sent it through the bandsaw to make the 4 cuts.

Pic 5 is the lid fitted into the collet, bottom end up so I can turn it. :) You can see I've made it a nice, snug fit but not so tight that it won't fall out by itself if turned upside down. I don't want to break the finial by trying to poke a stick through the other end! :eek:

I haven't shown it mounted in the chuck because if I remove the piece already in 'em I'll have to fiddle around for too long to get it chucked squarely again. but the idea is to slide the collet into the chuck, with the saw-cuts in the gaps between the jaws. When the chuck is tightened, it'll squeeze the ring and close up the saw cuts, holding the lid nice'n'tight. :) It works for me.

TTIT
11th December 2006, 12:37 AM
waiting......waiting.....:rolleyes:

SawDustSniffer
11th December 2006, 12:43 AM
i bet he found those pen blanks and wont be out for hours < :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th December 2006, 12:54 AM
:p to the lot of ya! :D:D The photos were quick, bloody Photoshopping 'em was a nightmare. Rotten $#%*& auto-focus-on-everything-but-the-subject cameras...

Actually, I would be out there right now, if only the neighbour would stop throwing clods of dirt on the shed roof any time I start firing up the tools past 10 or 11 PM. :rolleyes: I know he's a good neighbour... 'cos it's only clods of dirt. (At this stage. ;))

And because I took one pic too many, I'll squeeze it in here. Just to prove that this IS the lid fitting into the collet and not just a blank disk that luckily fits. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
11th December 2006, 01:14 AM
That a fabulous idea but my band saw would be too small for that. :(

also Skew, how do you sand the marks out? each time I try it coming rip out of fingers so I thinking I am missing something here or I can't get right down to the base on the inside to sand them.
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th December 2006, 01:24 AM
My mistake, I thought you meant the lids. :(

I use Hermes JFlex sandpaper (won't use anything else) which tears nicely into strips. So I just tear a strip narrower than my finger, pinch one end between the base of my finger and my thumb and wrap the paper over the tip of my finger.

I simply poke my finger straight into the bowl (like a kid's pretend gun) and lightly sand the bottom of the inside from the centre down, so the wood's turning keeps the paper wrapped over my finger. No biggie, although I do get really hot fingers. If the sandpaper touches the side, where the wood is moving downwards, it'll still rip it off my finger. So I don't let it touch! :D I've seen others doing the same thing with a stick or bit of dowel, but that doesn't work for me. Too hard to get the paper to follow the curves.

Oh... and this is another reason the lathe should be run really slow when sanding. So it won't hurt as much when it gets ripped out of your fingers.

Your bandsaw is too small to cut a 1 1/2" thick piece of wood? :eek: That is sad. No... it's bloody pathetic! Even a cheap'n'nasty GMC scrollsaw will handle that much at least! But a handsaw will do the same job; just make sure you leave the last 5mm or so of wood intact. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
11th December 2006, 01:44 AM
ok thanks I will slow down the lathe and try again tommorrow. Was just not real sure how to attack it.
thanks Toni

joe greiner
11th December 2006, 01:50 AM
Can't find it now (might've been on another site), but there was mention of 3M sanding sponges - like ScotchBrite, but thicker and more aggressive. Abrasive is integral, so doesn't actually wear out like sandpaper. Should deform as needed. I've also used ScotchBrite for a final pass.

Joe

rsser
11th December 2006, 07:29 AM
Webrite?

For straight walled boxes I use those small rubber drum sanders; v. quick to remove any corduroy; then use finger or dowel.

RETIRED
11th December 2006, 08:11 AM
FWIW. If you burn your fingers while sanding, grab or pinch your ear lobe. Instant relief, no joke.

lubbing5cherubs
11th December 2006, 10:36 AM
hey Thanks for that similar if your busting for a pee and can't go rub the back of your calfs will make the urge go away. Or onion burning your eyes run water over your palms will stop it instantly. Funny about these little tips.
Thanks I always find these fascinating
Toni

Cliff Rogers
11th December 2006, 10:47 AM
For sanding inside small hollow forms, I stitched a piece of velcro loop to the tip of the finger of a cotton glove.
I put the glove on & attach a suitable size & grit piece of sandpaper to it.
Now I set the lathe on low speed & slacken the drive belt right off so I can stop the work with one finger.
I start the lathe & stop it by grabbing the handwheel with my left hand, stick my sanding finger in the hole & carefully let the handwheel loose.

If you get it wrong, you will find that the cotton glove keeps your finger near where it should be while you take it to the doctor to have it repaired. :D

Seriously, it sounds & looks dangerous but if you have the belt very loose & keep your left hand on the handwheel, you won't have a problem.
Always stop the lathe with your left hand before inserting or removing your finger.

OGYT
11th December 2006, 11:09 AM
Cliff: "If you get it wrong, you will find that the cotton glove keeps your finger near where it should be while you take it to the doctor to have it repaired. :D "

Now we know why it says, "He is out of Hospital & at home on the property..." :o

Cliff Rogers
11th December 2006, 11:19 AM
....Now we know why it says, "He is out of Hospital & at home on the property..." :o
Errr.... no. You have to look up the fingers crossed thread for that. :rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
11th December 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks Guys. I have finished my first lidded box a full AA battery deep in lenth. Really pleased deepest digging I have ever done. Had my first fly off too and had to duck.:eek: but I mounted her back up and finished it:D Will post a piccy tonight when hubby shows me how to get the photo off the phone. Stupid things, fighting with me. Miss my camera.
bye
Toni

OGYT
11th December 2006, 11:55 AM
Well, Cliff, now ya know how really dense I am!!
Guess the original thread was one I missed altogether, eh? Anyhow, glad he's on the mend.
Also glad you still got your fingers.... :o

OGYT
11th December 2006, 12:01 PM
Toni: "I have finished my first lidded box a full AA battery deep in lenth."

Congratulations, Toni... don't know that I've made a lidded box that deep. Those I've made wouldn't hold much more than a ring.
Congrats on the first!

lubbing5cherubs
11th December 2006, 12:34 PM
Here it is. It is made of Silver wattle. I think:eek: hopefully my woodfairy might come to the rescue because I am not sure exactly I forgot to write it down before I started.
I love your feedback
Thanks all for your help
Toni

TTIT
11th December 2006, 01:04 PM
Good stuff Toni :) Can you handle not being able to write with it????;) Your fellow pen-turners will all dis-own you now - like taking a step to the darkside eh! :cool::D:D

hughie
11th December 2006, 01:05 PM
Hi Toni,

Hmmm, littlees :D have not had a go at such small items. Nice effort. I see you've been to the same school of fine pics as me :o :D :D

They keep telling I 'll get better with time.......dunno 'bout that:D

lubbing5cherubs
11th December 2006, 01:09 PM
Good stuff Toni :) Can you handle not being able to write with it????;) Your fellow pen-turners will all dis-own you now - like taking a step to the darkside eh! :cool::D:D

I could superglue a nib on the handle so that you can write with it too. :p :D

Nah.Plus I did make a green bullet pen last night so that i did not forget how. LOL. well what the use of owning a lathe if I not going to try other things too.
Toni

hughie
11th December 2006, 01:10 PM
When the chuck is tightened, it'll squeeze the ring and close up the saw cuts, holding the lid nice'n'tight. :) It works for me.[/QUOTE]

Nice one Skew! Simple and effective and over time as the collection grows to a few of them. It'll most likely cover a multitude of situations .

joe greiner
11th December 2006, 03:00 PM
Nice work, Toni. Nifty design, too.

Joe

baxter
11th December 2006, 06:07 PM
The collett chuck is a good one Skew, I had been pondering the reverse turning of a finial lid and that one fits the bill nicely.

The chuck in photo 1 appears to be a VM120, but what are the jaws. They are quite deep by the look of them.

Great lidded box Toni. You first throw off is the worst. From here on in you will just think why did that happen and remount the piece. As the saying goes NO PAIN NO GAIN

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th December 2006, 09:03 PM
.Plus I did make a green bullet pen last night so that i did not forget how. LOL. well what the use of owning a lathe if I not going to try other things too.

'Sactly! What else you going to do while waiting for the next lot of kits to turn up in the mail? :D

The collett chuck is a good one Skew, I had been pondering the reverse turning of a finial lid and that one fits the bill nicely.

The chuck in photo 1 appears to be a VM120, but what are the jaws. They are quite deep by the look of them.

I was growing sick'ntired of "padding out" jam chucks to get pieces to fit... with this method I reckon I toss half of my jam chucks in the bit bucket. :)

The chuck is a Supernova2, the jaws are their Spigot jaws. They're more or less equivalent to Vicmarc's Shark jaws and are probably my most used set as I turn a lot of goblets, etc., using long blanks that need mounting without tailstock support.

rowie
14th December 2006, 11:12 PM
Here it is. It is made of Silver wattle. I think:eek: hopefully my woodfairy might come to the rescue because I am not sure exactly I forgot to write it down before I started.
I love your feedback
Thanks all for your help
Toni
Yes Toni, when I put my beer goggles on:p , it is silver wattle. Not an overly good wood, but still good wood.;) Your box looks great:rolleyes: :eek: :p :o
Now you just need to work on refining the finial and the overall shape a bit. :D

Little Festo
15th December 2006, 12:45 PM
It's a bit late now but I turn the box lid first ie. the inside. I make the recess/top tenon and only rough turn the outside shape. I can sand and finish the inside of the lid.

Then I turn the box, ensuring that the lid fits when hollowing out. Next I jam fit the lid to the box and finish the lid (using taistock and minimal pressure). Small cuts not too agressive. You can get a nice flow from box to lid. The wood needs to be dry and endgrain boxes seem not to warp too detrimentally ie shrinking occurs longitudinally not horozontally. If you can have a look at Richard Raffern's DVD on making boxes. Amazing, he's sooo fast.

I have attached an image - Peter

lubbing5cherubs
15th December 2006, 01:50 PM
very nice peter, have you burnt that pattern or is that engrained lace?? Hmm that a great idea. That gives me another idea. I could do a lacy pen!!
Toni

Little Festo
18th December 2006, 03:02 PM
very nice peter, have you burnt that pattern or is that engrained lace?? Hmm that a great idea. That gives me another idea. I could do a lacy pen!!
Toni

Toni,

The texture was burn with a pyrography tool

Peter