PDA

View Full Version : Lace Bobbins

TAFFY
1st October 1999, 03:21 PM
Has anyone done any Bobbins for bobbin lace , if so I would appreciate some dimensions and / or ideas. I believe they come in pairs.
The reason for this is that I have a relative who has just taken this up and would like me to turn some Bobbins for her.
any help would be appreciated.
Taffy

ubeaut
6th October 1999, 08:09 PM
Hi Taffy

I think you will find that they are all different so as the lace maker can identify the individual strands of thread during the intricate lacemaking process.

We have a brilliant bobbin maker down here named John Atkins I will see if I can get some dimentions from him for you.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Neville Mudd
17th October 2007, 05:27 PM
Lace bobbins come in all shapes and sizes In Australia the ones mainly Used are the East Midland bobbins these are generally supplied with spangles The overall lenght is generally 115mm and best made out of dense close grained wood . But they can be made out of nearly anything including Bone ,Ivory ,Corium, Crushed velvet ,Polyester. brass ,paper and glass.
I do make and sell bobbins in Australia and Overseas and lacemakers requirements seem to vary with the different countries.
Currently I am making ones called maltese Bobbins for a Lace makers guild overseas
Neville

RETIRED
17th October 2007, 06:58 PM
Check the date.