PDA

View Full Version : Mt Fuji Box

Barrie Restall
12th December 2006, 07:29 PM
I thought I'd try and get away from the curvy stuff for a change. Not sure the geometric look is all that appealing.

Regards,

Barrie

Don Nethercott
12th December 2006, 08:20 PM
I think you are on the right track Barrie. It's good to try different things, makes life interesting and takes you away from the "mob".

That particular shape is not my cup of tea, althought I'm sure there are others who will love it. However keep with the geometric shape idea and you never know what you will come up with.

Regards
Don

Sculptured Box
12th December 2006, 08:56 PM
Barrie

You did good with this box, in fact the lower drawer shows a degree of technical (bandsawn box making) skill, well done! I've attached part of your first image (of the lower drawer) to demonstrate, the image shows how slanted drawer front arrives almost but not quiet at a sharp point, in the area of the block entry point of the bandsaw blade, thats good. :cool:

Barrie Restall
13th December 2006, 12:51 PM
Gee, Tony, I didnt realise you scrutinised the photos so minutely! I'll have to remember to blur up the dicey ones. You picked the tricky bit to enlarge, thanks for your kind words.

Actually the wood was a fairly lousy lump of silky oak so I thought I would use it to experiment and practice cutting tight curves. I wasn't too fussed about the outcome, but one of my wife's friends admired it so it has gone to her for a Xmas present. One less to buy!

Dunno what I'll do next, still thinking, maybe combine the curvy with the geometric? Then again maybe I'll learn to carve (like you) which means saving up for the chisels. Got a small cedar log the other day for $5 so there is some motivation looking at me in the workshop.

Kind regards,

Barrie

TTIT
13th December 2006, 12:57 PM
I couldn't tell you why but I like it [shrug] - it reminds me of something but I just can't put my finger on it. Nice job!:)

ptc
13th December 2006, 04:54 PM
I like it to.

Grandpa Grizzly
29th December 2006, 05:42 AM
I certainly like the design. Why must we not use geometrical shapes? Although nothing in nature is a straight line, at least in the world of human creativity there exists a place for straight and beautiful lines. Keep up the Great Designing.
Grandpa Grizzly