PDA

View Full Version : Maloof’s chair, Rocker’s plan, my way (WIP)

Pages : [1] 2

Wongo
12th December 2006, 10:47 PM
I have finally decided to give the rocking chair a go. I am using Studley’s blue gum so it wouldn’t be so bad if I totally stuffed it up.:o

Wongo
12th December 2006, 10:51 PM
Use rocker’s plan to shape the back legs

Wongo
12th December 2006, 10:56 PM
It is a very strong joint. There is no other stronger joint for the job.

Wongo
12th December 2006, 11:05 PM
The back legs bend 5 degree outwards. Unlike Maloof who uses 3 custom made router bits to cut the joint, I made a router plate with 5 degree slope for the job.

Wongo
12th December 2006, 11:09 PM

Wongo
12th December 2006, 11:12 PM
That's all for now.:D

Wood Borer
13th December 2006, 12:34 AM
Fantastic thread Scott keep inspiring us mate and have a greenie in anticipation it will be a Best of the Best.

TassieKiwi
13th December 2006, 09:40 AM
Virtual greenie to you son! My brain told me that it was one of those tasks that you've just gotta start, and work it out as you go. You're proving this correct, though the other part of my brain tells me there's lots of room for 'point of no return' OhNo moments as well. Keep sharp, lookin verrrry good.

Waldo
13th December 2006, 10:02 AM
G'day Wongo,

Strewth, this will be a good one to watch the progress. Keep it coming.

Harry72
13th December 2006, 12:43 PM
Excellent stuff Wongy!

martrix
13th December 2006, 01:23 PM
Hah! I cut those joints for breakfast!......:o not..http://www.ubeaut.biz/wanker.gifhttp://www.ubeaut.biz/toothless.gif......

This will be a great one to watch. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around some of the joints.:(

Good luck with it, and remember to take lots o pics.

TEEJAY
13th December 2006, 01:24 PM
Yep - impressive Mr Wongo. I particualrly like the way you engineered your way through making the joint work with jigs and machines.

I note your line work looks course yet the joints look fine ??

Also you have used Studleys wood - the floor rejects are all about 19mm thick i think - have you structural rejects for this not cut up and laminated floorboards - yes ?

Wongo
13th December 2006, 01:39 PM
The front legs will be turned by our master AlexS tonight. Shaping and sanding will be done once the whole thing is put together.

I have the structural pack which is 3.2cm. Maloof’s chairs (or Rocker’s) use 4.5 cm thick stock but most will be planed down to around 3.5cm. Because of that I had to alter the design a little bit. Can you see I glued another piece of wood to the joint of the legs?

TEEJAY
13th December 2006, 01:55 PM
Can you see I glued another piece of wood to the joint of the legs?

Barely noticable :) ;)

Rocker
13th December 2006, 04:33 PM
Scott,

I see you used a down-and-dirty version of my morticing jig, but I think it would pay you eventually to make the real thing, unless you intend investing in a Domino, of course:D

I wonder whether you would not be better off doing as much as possible of the shaping and sanding before the glue-up of the chair.

Are you going to use an angle-grinder sanding attachment to hollow out the seat? When I made a captain's chair with a solid-wood seat, I drew depth contour lines on the seat top, and used them as a guide to rout away most of the waste, using a 1/2" spiral bit.

Rocker

ptc
13th December 2006, 04:39 PM
Wongo
will it be finished for Christmas ?

Wongo
13th December 2006, 04:51 PM
I see you used a down-and-dirty version of my morticing jig, but I think it would pay you eventually to make the real thing, unless you intend investing in a Domino, of course:D

Enough David, stop teasing me.:D All I need is another order for a dining table.:cool:

I wonder whether you would not be better off doing as much as possible of the shaping and sanding before the glue-up of the chair.

I think the opposite. You need to put it together to know how to shape it. All lines run into each other smoothly so there will be a lot of work around the joints.

Are you going to use an angle-grinder sanding attachment to hollow out the seat? When I made a captain's chair with a solid-wood seat, I drew depth contour lines on the seat top, and used them as a guide to rout away most of the waste, using a 1/2" spiral bit.

I am going to bandsaw it as much as I can. I will use the Arbortech carver and sanding disc.

Finish it by X'mas?:eek: We will see.:cool:

TEEJAY
13th December 2006, 06:13 PM
Scott,

Rocker

How would the angle grinder carving attachment go - the variations are the solid metal wheel with cutting knives around the perimeter of the wheel or the other one I have seen with the solid wheel cutter with a chainsaw chain fitted to the perimeter?

Yep there is a lot of merit in cutting down to precut depth grooves.

Wongo
13th December 2006, 10:49 PM
Cut out as much waste as possible on a bandsaw before gluing up. Yes it is free hand just like Sam. :D OK I was very careful.:o

Had a quick play with the Arbortech carver, my goodness that pocket rocket is so violent. Carving the seat is going to be tricky.

DPB
13th December 2006, 10:56 PM
Had a quick play with the Arbortech carver, my goodness that pocket rocket is so violent. Carving the seat is going to be tricky.

Scott, I have also found the Arbortech to be an aggressive carver. In fact, I now seldom use the metal carving disk and find a course grit sanding disk better. It can remove a lot of wood, but is somehow more controllable. You might like to experiment with this idea before resorting to the a chainsaw massacre. ;)

DJ’s Timber
13th December 2006, 11:02 PM
What about one of these (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144909)?

Wongo
13th December 2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys but I am pretty cool with the Arbortech carver.

Wongo
14th December 2006, 10:56 PM
A visit to alex's place this evening and got my legs turned.

Thanks very mucy Alex.:)

dai sensei
15th December 2006, 07:14 PM
Looking great Wongo, keep the pics coming.

Al B
15th December 2006, 08:27 PM
Excellent stuff Wongo.

Tex B
15th December 2006, 10:51 PM
Wongo.

Looking great mate.

Was it last month's FWW that had the jig for shaping a chair seat with a router?

Tex

Wongo
16th December 2006, 11:11 PM
Yes Tex but I don't think the jig will do a good job and it doesn't make the task easier either.

Here is a couple of hours work today. The Arbortech carver and sanding disc are very easy to use, easy to control. I am very happy with the result.

The arerests are next.:o

TassieKiwi
18th December 2006, 08:48 AM
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Curious question - did you consider having the alternating 5° cuts in the seat pieces, like in the DVD? SM seems to do this erratically, or maybe it was a fad of his?

Good stuff, keep em coming.

D

TEEJAY
18th December 2006, 08:58 AM
The arrests are next.:o

Maaate - don't do anything illegal or improppa :p

Wongo
18th December 2006, 09:21 AM
TJ: You very funny :D

TK: Do you mean 3°? No, I didn’t do it the way SM does it. His way is OK if you have thick piece (+4.5cm). I used square blocks (3.2cm thick) and tilted the bandsaw table to 3°. You have the DVD so You know what I mean. Different approach but same result.

TassieKiwi
18th December 2006, 11:30 AM
Ah so. I thought that he was doing this to allow a deeper sculpted seat.

Waldo
18th December 2006, 11:33 AM
G'day,

Slight thread hijack Wongo.

I think I'm being stalked, each thread I've gone to in the last 5 minutes Felder keeps following me. :D

Felder
18th December 2006, 11:37 AM
I think I'm being stalked, each thread I've gone to in the last 5 minutes Felder keeps following me. :D

http://www.ubeaut.biz/1luvu.gif

:rolleyes:

Waldo
18th December 2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/1luvu.gif

:rolleyes:

Bottoms to the wall! :eek: :D

coedcae
18th December 2006, 12:33 PM
I am watchng with interest.
You are doing a great job there, keep the photo's comming.

Having sat on one of Rocker's chairs I know just how comfortable they are.

On my to do list.:eek: :eek: Just not sure that I am up to one of those just yet.

OOOOOOOne Day!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Peter

Wongo
24th December 2006, 10:01 PM
I have the armrests cut for a number of days now. It is ready to be shaped. It is probably one of the most difficult bits of the project. That’s why I keep putting it off.:o I did shape it roughly on a bandsaw (with extra care).

Wongo
24th December 2006, 10:11 PM
I used the book and dvd as references to work out the shape of the rockers. Made the jig out of a piece of off-cut. I then applied a coat of polyU and wax before gluing. The wax will prevent the rocker and the jig from sticking together when the glue is dry.

The rocker is made of 8 pieces of wood.

Wongo
24th December 2006, 10:24 PM
I used a bandsaw to rough cut the back slats and shaped them on a router table. A big thank to craigb for letting me use his router table. (yes it was Triton and I used it:( :eek: :D ). Sorry for making such a big mess.:o

The front profiles are all done. I am still working out a way to do the side profiles. Ideally I should rough cut them on a bandsaw and finish off on a spindle sander. The problem is I don’t have a spindle sander.

So if you have a spindle sander and are willing to help a mate, please PM me.

Merry Christmas.:)

PS don’t forget to leave something for Santa to eat and drink. We did ours already.

Rocker
25th December 2006, 07:35 AM
Scott,

I see that you are following the Master and having seven backslats. The trouble with having an odd number of backslats is that, if you are bony and your vertebrae are not well covered in fat, your backbone rests against the central backslat and causes some discomfort. For this reason I only have six backslats on my rocker.

Your chair is looking good, but you have many hours of hard work still ahead of you in shaping the parts. You will do very well if you get it done by the New Year.

Rocker

Scally
25th December 2006, 08:06 AM
Great thread Scott.

What type of joint are you going to use to join the armrests to the back legs?

Studley 2436
25th December 2006, 08:16 AM
Also you have used Studleys wood

This scares me

Studley

ptc
25th December 2006, 09:53 AM
Great work Wongo.

coastie
25th December 2006, 03:49 PM
Look dear is that a genuine Wongo?:D

Wongo
25th December 2006, 10:27 PM
Great thread Scott.

What type of joint are you going to use to join the armrests to the back legs?

a dowel to the front leg and a screw to the back leg.

Wongo
26th December 2006, 08:17 PM
The trouble with having an odd number of backslats is that, if you are bony and your vertebrae are not well covered in fat, your backbone rests against the central backslat and causes some discomfort. For this reason I only have six backslats on my rocker.

Rocker, so have you done any research or do you have data to back up the theory? :D Seriously, if it was only 1 in the middle then I would agree with you. 7 backslats will be fine.

I wasn’t going to add the screws for the legs. I believe the join is unbreakable, but since it is a Sam Maloof’s chair so it wouldn't be right without it.:cool:

The rockers are done and I couldn’t help to test them. The chair stands comfortably on the rockers and it rocks continually without problem.

Last picture shows the centre of gravity in line with the middle of the arc. I think this is essential for the chair to rock probably.

Wongo
26th December 2006, 08:21 PM
Armrests are attached.:brava

scooter
26th December 2006, 08:52 PM
Looking great so far Scott :)

Waldo
27th December 2006, 10:21 AM
G'day Wongo,

Yep, looking great alright. :brava

And here I am still trying to get some stuff done in the shed, except in-laws want a website designed, which I have to get done before I can get onto my own things. :~

Wongo
28th December 2006, 10:23 PM
Ok honeymoon is over, most of the things that can be done with jigs and power tools are done. Following is weeks of sanding.:( I need to turn a lot of blue gum into fine dust by hand. oh dear. :(

Harry72
28th December 2006, 10:39 PM
Hey Wongy, have you had any troubles with the SBgum overheating router cutters(smoking heaps) and clogging drill bits/forsners?

Wongo
28th December 2006, 10:43 PM
A little bit

martrix
28th December 2006, 11:37 PM
Following is weeks of sanding.:( I need to turn a lot of blue gum into fine dust by hand. oh dear. :(

Depends which way you look at it.
Shaping and sanding will be the most rewarding process on the chair, and, will give the rocker the hand-crafted "Spirit of Wongo" touch:yourock:...:smokeing:...You know, glass half-empty/half-full.

Heres a tip I would use when I had to sand (by hand) 100's of metres of 215mm wide Cherry crown moulding; Wrap the tips and half way up every finger with a strip of masking tape. Your skin will thank you after....unless you really need to get rid of those incriminating fingerprints:roll: .

Every hour or so I had to re-apply the tape as it wears away:oo: , which would normally be your skin.

Your rocker is looking real purdy.:2tsup:

pawnhead
29th December 2006, 08:39 AM
That's starting to look like a beautiful rocker there Wongo. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Heres a tip I would use when I had to sand (by hand) 100's of metres of 215mm wide Cherry crown moulding; Wrap the tips and half way up every finger with a strip of masking tape. Your skin will thank you after....unless you really need to get rid of those incriminating fingerprints:roll: .I wish I'd followed your advice when sanding my doors. I'd prefer to keep my fingerprints since it's a bit painful going without them. :(

Wongo
30th December 2006, 02:26 PM
I had this idea for a while. It took me 3 attempts to get everything right.:(( The result is brilliant, it is better than sanding. All curves are identical.:cool:

outback
30th December 2006, 03:40 PM
You Chinese is clever buggers. The chair is coming along nicely.
Are you going to paint the clamps? That blue does clash with the Blue Gum I think. :B

Wongo
2nd January 2007, 10:39 PM
It is the battle of will and determination. I think I am 80% there. There is still a lot of sanding and the installation of the rockers but we are not too far away.

I sat on the chair briefly and found the backslats extremely comfortable.

As I expected, the weight of the back pulls the chair back. As a result it raises front leg to 40cm high, which is the height I am after. If needed, I will still have a chance to adjust it’s height before gluing the rockers to the chair.

Rocker
3rd January 2007, 06:46 AM
Scott,

It is looking very good.

Have you sat on the chair while it is on the rockers? The balance point when the chair is empty seems about right. I am still puzzled as to how you will manage to fit the chair onto the dowels in the rockers, since they will not be parallel to one another. Is the process going to involve a prayer and a big whack?

Rocker

AlexS
3rd January 2007, 01:03 PM
.... Is the process going to involve a prayer and a big whack?

Rocker

Don't force it, Scott.

Use a bigger hammer.

Wongo
3rd January 2007, 10:32 PM
Do not worry David. A final block will be added between the rocker and leg. It will be trimmed to fit the uneven gap. It will fit perfectly.

I sat on the chair while it is on the rockers. That how I could make sure it is working probably.

Wongo
4th January 2007, 10:50 PM
The back is in its final form. Worked on the rockers a little bit, the whole thing should become one tomorrow.:U

ptc
5th January 2007, 09:49 AM
Wongo.
Do not forget to number each chair you make.
looking great

Wongo
5th January 2007, 10:10 AM
I am still puzzled as to how you will manage to fit the chair onto the dowels in the rockers, since they will not be parallel to one another. Is the process going to involve a prayer and a big whack?

Rocker

David,

Sorry I did not read you question probably. Yes you are right about it, BUT…

The 2 dowels are quite far away from each other and there is a little bit of flexibility in the wood. If you do it the right way and with a bit of twist and turn, it will go in. It is a bit like those wooden 3D puzzles really. It seems impossible to get the rings out but there is always a way.

Sorry I need to go to Alex place to pick up a big hammer. He uses it all the time to smash his stuff-ups. :D

Waldo
5th January 2007, 10:38 AM
G'day Wongo,

Top stuff! Been a great WIP, c'mon show us some more chair pawn. What are you doing next?

Looks like the perfect one-day-I'll-get-around-to-it-project, when I have myself a router/table and 10HB, just the question of where the XR will go.

Bwillie
5th January 2007, 10:48 AM
Great rocker mate! Along with the stupid little boxes I'm making, I've got one of these beauties in the works. Although the original plan I have is by fella of the name Hal Taylor here in the States.

These chairs are absolutely awesome. With all the other box stuff going on though, I'm no where near the stage your at. Your chair "rocks", in many different ways :2tsup: :D

ICN,

Bill

Rocker
5th January 2007, 12:33 PM
David,

If you do it the right way and with a bit of twist and turn, it will go in.

Sorry I need to go to Alex place to pick up a big hammer. He uses it all the time to smash his stuff-ups. :D

Scott,

I will be saying a little prayer to Confucius for you. It is much easier to get around this problem if your rocker has an upholstered seat, since you can then glue the legs to the side rail and to the rocker in a single glueing operation, as described in my Domino rocker WIP thread; in this way, the non-parallelism of the rocker dowels is not a problem.

I think I am right in saying, and Bwillie may correct me on this if I am wrong, that Hal Taylor does not use dowels to attach the legs. Instead, he drives large screws smeared with epoxy up through the rockers into the bottom of the legs. This doesn't seem to me to be a very satisfactory way of joining the rockers to the legs, but he seems to have had success with it.

Rocker

Wongo
5th January 2007, 01:13 PM
David, who said I wanted it to be easy. I never expected it to be easy and I will get it done. Really, putting the dowels together isn’t exactly brain surgery is it?

jmk89
5th January 2007, 01:16 PM
Really, putting the dowels together isn’t exactly brain surgery is it?

Not for the guy who solved the Maloof joint - the project is looking great, Mr Wong.

(Sun long, you Australians have funny names...):U :U

AlexS
5th January 2007, 04:10 PM

Not quite correct Mr Wong - I use it to auction my 'design experiments'.:;

Wongo
5th January 2007, 09:12 PM
I used to look a bit better.:oo:

Wongo
5th January 2007, 09:25 PM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. :D

Inset dowels to the legs.
Back leg goes in first, lift the front of the rocker slightly.
Front leg goes straight in.
All is over in a couple of minutes, didn’t even have time to blink. Its that simple.

I think the key here is because the front dowel is perpendicular to the rotation, so it goes in perfectly.

:) X10^1billion

Poppa
5th January 2007, 09:36 PM
Wow. Just 'Wow'. Inspiring stuff.

DJ’s Timber
5th January 2007, 09:37 PM
Looking great Wongo

Waldo
5th January 2007, 09:38 PM
G'day Wongo,

I'm not sure if you have or not (it's Friday night and I'm too buggered and lazy to go through all the posts to check if you have or haven't), but for anyone thinking of making a similar chair, could you give a materials cost and amount of timber used?

Rocker
5th January 2007, 09:47 PM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. :D

:) X10^1billion

Scott,

Congratulations on losing your rocker virginity:D

Looks like a great result. What is the inclination of the seat to the horizontal? It looks like about 10°, but it is hard to tell exactly from the photo.

Rocker

Wongo
5th January 2007, 09:58 PM
Waldo my son, it is Friday night and you are asking me a tough question.

For this one

The cost of wood is about $20. Thanks again Studley. Realistically it should around $1000.
Biu I did buy
2 CMT router bits $120
Arbortech Carving wheel and sanding disc attachment $120
Alex’s service priceless
Craig’s Triton router table priceless :D :D :D

Waldo
5th January 2007, 10:04 PM
G'day Wongo,

Thanks for that. Must buy some stuff from Studley next time he has more stuff come up for grabs.

Now grab a few more beers and get back into that garage and just lovingly stare at that work of art. :2tsup:

jmk89
6th January 2007, 03:30 AM
Well done Scott. I think that we need to have more Sydney CBD forum lunches so we can all start our dream projects - ISTR that it was after the first one where we all said, don't pi55 around thinking anymore about Sam's angled joint, just go ahead and have a go, that you started this and now you have got that wonderful chair to show for it!:2tsup:

Well done and thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Jeremy

Wongo
6th January 2007, 10:20 AM
What is the inclination of the seat to the horizontal? It looks like about 10°, but it is hard to tell exactly from the photo.

David

If I measured it correctly it is 10°.

The final height for the front of the seat is 38cm. It is 4 cm lower then the Windsor chair but its the same as the leather couch (very comfortable) in my house. I constantly used these 2 chairs as my references.

I sat on chair this morning, my feet were in contact with the floor the whole time which means I had full control with the chair. It is sooo relaxing.:D As Maloof said in the DVD, the rocker should never throw you out or put you back.

I lifted the rocker slightly and it rocked back and forth for 60 seconds.:2tsup:

Whats next?
Sanding:oo:
Sanding:(
Sanding:((
Sanding:(( :(( :((
Finish:)
Finished:2tsup:

Jeremy, I need to thank you too. You told me to just go for it and I would work it out. (remember our first date?:p ). I went home and I thought “Hmm that bastard is right” :D and then of course it was the forum lunch. So thanks.:)

coedcae
6th January 2007, 12:19 PM
Scott great effort and well done.:2tsup: :2tsup:

You started this on the 13th Dec. and the costruction phase all complete :2tsup: alot of work in such a short time.
Now the mind numbing phase to start, but when you have it finished it will be just great. By the way what will you finish it with?

Regards Peter

AlexS
6th January 2007, 12:21 PM
Great looking chair - looking forward to giving it a try out.

But you don't get a greenie 'til it's finished!:roll:

pawnhead
6th January 2007, 02:14 PM
Looks great wongo. Top job. :2tsup:
I just stumbled on your rocking horse (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=37177&postcount=37177) as well, but I can't find the pics of your model ships (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=37159&postcount=37159). Any chance of having a look at them?
500 hrs of your handiwork would probably be very impressive.

Rocker
6th January 2007, 03:51 PM
David

If I measured it correctly it is 10°.

The final height for the front of the seat is 38cm. It is 4 cm lower then the Windsor chair but its the same as the leather couch (very comfortable) in my house. I constantly used these 2 chairs as my references.

I sat on chair this morning, my feet were in contact with the floor the whole time which means I had full control with the chair. It is sooo relaxing.:D As Maloof said in the DVD, the rocker should never throw you out or put you back.

I lifted the rocker slightly and it rocked back and forth for 60 seconds.:2tsup:

Scott,

That is why I have been worrying about your rocker; the front legs on mine are a bit longer, and the top of the seat is about 46 cm from the floor, and the angle of inclination of the seat is about 14°.
So mine leans back a bit more; I find it very comfortable. But if you are happy with being a bit more upright, all is well.

Now that you have built the prototype, you can get down to the real rocker in a vintage hardwood:)

Rocker

Wongo
6th January 2007, 10:26 PM
John

her is the link for the model ship http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=6318

David,

I have gone back to the DVD and my book many many times to make sure everything matches. I believe that Sam Maloof must have got it right after 50+ years of experience.

Likewise, if you are happy with yours then all is well.

Wongo
6th January 2007, 10:29 PM
By the way what will you finish it with?

tung oil, linseed oil, polyU, 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.

TassieKiwi
8th January 2007, 08:29 AM
You have had a far more fruitful break than I. You've also done a magnificent job on the rocker - your interpretation, lines and dimensions are spot-on - I think that your attitude from the start helped here. Brilliant work, great innovation.

A word of caution - I was less than patient during the final stages of the KS bed project, as all I wanted to do was have it finished and out of the shop. This resulted in some unneccessary imperfections. Probably not noticeable to others but they still annoy me.
Take your time with the finishing - this is more than a prototype, methinks.

Scally
8th January 2007, 11:28 PM
Very impressive Scott.

All this because SM uses a funny joint on his chair legs.

We get inspiration/challenges from all different places. That is why this forum is so good.

Then someone like you comes along and helps work out the 'how to'. Even better.

Plus, you end up with a great chair.

Enjoy seeing your chair glowing as you polish on each coat of oil.

TEEJAY
11th January 2007, 09:11 AM
Coming up nice Wongo.

With your sanding - just one bit of extra advice to the putting tape on your fingers.

I strongly recommend you get the tape from a chemist - it is a paper type tape.

On your fingers the chemist tape has all the stretch you need to bend your fingers without discomfort or excessive pressure to get good flex.

tashammer
11th January 2007, 10:03 AM
How many more are you making then? You will need at least two by the fireside, or more if you are a sociable feller...just think 100 visitors all rocking away in your chairs and sounding like a room full of clocks.

I wonder what weight it will carry?

Studley 2436
11th January 2007, 10:13 AM
G'day Wongo,

Thanks for that. Must buy some stuff from Studley next time he has more stuff come up for grabs.

Now grab a few more beers and get back into that garage and just lovingly stare at that work of art. :2tsup:

There will be more reject timber for sure. The great thing about that is that it is cheap! Along the was I picked up some more contacts and can get you some really really good stuff which is at realistic prices but when I say realistic it is good timber so you have to pay a good price to get it.

Will be back in touch with the Mill middle of the month to say hi and see what they have got. I am pretty sure they have some reject flooring well make that certain but the structural sizes aren't available at the moment and might not be for a while yet.

Studley

Wongo
11th January 2007, 10:36 AM
Tashammer,
At this point I will definitely make at least another 2 but I don’t know when. The in-laws have already expressed their interest. I still want to play with a couple of different designs and there are a lot of things I think I can do better.

More on the subject of studley’s timber. I think there is a huge advantage in it. A project like this wastes at least 50% of wood. In my case, I was able to place the patterns on the good bits and cut away the bad bits. So it worked out very well.

PS I am now sanding with 120 grit.:oo: :2tsup:

AlexS
11th January 2007, 11:35 AM
120, 140, 180, 220, 240, 280, 320, 360, 400, 500, 600, 800 and counting.

Wongo
11th January 2007, 11:39 AM
Yes MazTa. :bowdown:

TassieKiwi
11th January 2007, 11:44 AM
Yes MazTa. :bowdown:

Now you can see why SM had those poor buggers sanding in that back shed for 40 yrs. How do they do it? Meditation? Drugs? :o I hate sanding.

Scott - could you mentally evaluate as you go along how much use a Rotax 150 would be in the process. I'm thinkiing maybe OK for the seat but little use elsewhere?

Don't skimp - nothing worse than going back to deal with pesky scratches from 2 grades ago.:D

D

Wongo
11th January 2007, 12:03 PM
TK,

It is my hand, my sandpaper and my wood, nothing else. Sometimes I can spend 30 minutes on just one spot. see pic.:oo:

Yes removing the scratches from by the rasp, files and 60 grit is difficult but what else can I do?:(

Michael Johnson I think it is. That’s pretty much what the poor bastard is doing all day.

TassieKiwi
11th January 2007, 01:10 PM
Well, looking verrrry good anyhoo. Just like an SM pic.:) I guess it will be a long sieries of Zen moments, like looooooong. Imagine all of the planning you can do in your head. Maybe put a bit of Barry White on, start a real groooove with that chair baby, oooohhhhh yeah.....sorry. Got carried away.

There was a bloke in one of those FWW mags that had the paper taped to his fingers. Might be quicker? I think that the Man said that making the cahir only took 1/3 the time.:oo:

On a positive note, are you going to make the genuine finishes as described? Sounds easy?

TEEJAY
11th January 2007, 01:59 PM
TK,

It is my hand, my sandpaper and my wood, nothing else. Sometimes I can spend 30 minutes on just one spot. see pic.:oo:

Yes removing the scratches from by the rasp, files and 60 grit is difficult but what else can I do?:(

Using a scraper is no use or benefit??

Wongo
11th January 2007, 02:10 PM
I was exaggerating a little bit TJ. :D

I did use a scraper, chisels, carving gouges and spokeshaves. Most of the work is done with sandpaper though.

TEEJAY
11th January 2007, 02:15 PM
I was exaggerating a little bit TJ. :D

I did use a scraper, chisels, carving gouges and spokeshaves. Most of the work is done with sandpaper though.

Ooooooh - I just don't think i will believe you anymore :((

:) :wink: :D

Wongo
11th January 2007, 02:22 PM
You can trust me TJ. I’ve never ever lied in my life and never will. I can triple guarantee you that.

Seriously.

let me say it one more time. I only use sandpaper. Nothing else.

Wongo
11th January 2007, 02:32 PM
I’ve never ever lied in my life and never will.

OK that was my first time.:D