PDA

View Full Version : finish for keel

Arthur Alchin
13th May 2003, 09:57 AM
I have placed an article under timber forum for the best wood to use on one of my mates boat for a new keel.

As the boat is moored permanently on the new south wales central coast i am after advice as to the best finishes to use on this keel.

This keel is to bolt to the main stem in the boat and thus will have recessed bolt heads under the keel: is it wise to fill this recess with anyparticular filler. and what paints/ primers and undercoats are required.

Thankyou for any advice you can offer

Arthur:confused: :confused:

Neil
13th May 2003, 10:40 AM
Moved from Finishing Forum:)

fxst
13th May 2003, 08:21 PM
maybe u need a Fishin section Neil LOL:D :D :D

grahame_a
15th May 2003, 11:08 AM
Hi Arthur

You realise that getting involved with boats may not be the smartest move you have ever done :-))

Inherently they are holes in water which you try to fill up with money.

Now to the serious bit. It would be worth your time to look around for copies of 'Woodenboat'. It is an american publication (magazine) devoted purely to the subject of wood boats in all there forms. Read a few issues and you will be amazed at what you learn.

I would start with your local library and see what they can find for you.

You may also wish to peruse there website:

http://www.woodenboat.com/

Have fun.

Geoff Egan
15th May 2003, 12:57 PM
Hi Arthur
Try Bruce McConkey at Boatcraft Pacific http://www.boatcraft.com.au/ Or put woodenboatsaustralia (one word) into google, there is a wooden boat forum on yahoo.
Cheers Geoff.

STEPHEN MILLER
4th July 2003, 11:29 AM
Try Duck Flat Wooden Boats in SA at www.duckflatwoodenboats.com
they are pretty good for handig out advice

sinjin
21st January 2004, 03:17 PM
Why not use spoted gum....If your mates boat was made in Aust there is a good chance thats what they would have used anyway.

If your in melb i would ring Pompei's down in Moordialic as he builds pretty much work boats. But you can't go wrong with alot of the Aust timbers....ie Turpintine would be another good timber. But i real so and so to work with....you get a splinter and sure as eggs it will festor.

There is also a really good book you can get from Mcgills in Melb. Guy from CSIRO wrote it.
Called timbers in Aust. gives good reference to what timbers are actually used for.