PDA

View Full Version : Box with tiled lid

Dangermouse
14th December 2006, 07:25 PM
Thought I'd share my latest efforts. A few months ago at my parent's place my mother pointed out to me a website that was selling wood boxes with ceramic tiles embedded in the lid. She very subtly (not! :rolleyes: ) gave me a ceramic tile. Wonder what that was for!? :D

After scratching my head trying to figure out how to make the lid, here's the result.
Pic 1 - the completed box hot off the bench (only the second I've made so far!). Made from 1/2 inch recycled Jarrah, finished with EEE and shellawax.
Pic 2 - the tile. Aussie terriers are a bit of an obsession for my mother. I was going to do a mitred frame but chickened out at the last minute; the tile is glued to a 3mm MDF plate that sits in a channel in the frame. Had to carefully sand off some slight protrusions on the sides of the tile to get it to fit.
Pic 3 - I got adventurous with the Incra and did highlighted dovetails with some oregon for the highlights.
Pic 4 - First attempt at hinges. Quite a bit easier than I thought they would be, but still made a few stuff ups. These ones are from bluegum (as is the bottom board). Dont think I'd use bluegum again for hinges this small, it tended to fracture across the knuckles quite frequently.
Pic 5 - Inside was lined with felt, 2 pairs of small magnets in the frame and lid are intended to keep the lid in place. Marginally successful, the magnets could probably have been bigger.

Well, that's my week done. enjoy the pics.

DJ’s Timber
14th December 2006, 07:39 PM
Well done, that jarrah looks very nice and the dovetails look speccy

ciscokid
14th December 2006, 08:21 PM
Very nice work! My missus absolutely LOVED your dovetails. Dropped quite a few hints, she did.

What's EEE?

Dangermouse
14th December 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys!
Funny how those hints tend to turn into new projects, isnt it? :D

cisco, EEE is a fine abrasive wax paste made by Neil, our board sponsor. Does a lovely job of buffing the timber before the finish is applied (and afterwards, in some cases).
Direct link to all the gory details:
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/eee.htm

Harry72
14th December 2006, 10:03 PM
Nice work DM... lucky Penfold didnt help!

The contrasts come out real nice, definitely worth a greeny mate.

mlsa
14th December 2006, 11:13 PM
Beautiful box. Now I can see why your mom gave you the tile. She knew you would turn it into something beautiful.

I really like the joints...I've gotta learn how to do it without paying the big bucks for the incra jig..if that is possible.