PDA

View Full Version : A New One

Penpal
15th December 2006, 11:58 AM
Tasmanian Figured Blackwood and the more subtle Fishing Clip.
The timber I picked up,read bought at the slicing section where they make veneers at a mill in Tasmania. Blackwood can vary from creamy sapwood to almost black.A characteristic is when viewed in side light lit areas it takes on the look of shot silk as in old time neckties.A mate of mine bought from another mill a large piece,it slipped off the fork lift and rang like steel on the concrete floor,it was incredibly heavy and took four men to load into his caravan,placed on the floor in the aisle of it.His wife was not impressed having to negotiate it in the van for the remainder or their holiday.The things we do.
there is a bit of my favourite Musk Burl around and I will post a pen of that in the future,it also comes from Tasmania,like to see pens from our Tassie makers sometime. Take care Peter

Jude A
15th December 2006, 12:09 PM
VERY NICE!!!!! I like the fit and finish. I also like the little fish clip/ I am not a fan of the oversized ones.

PenTurner
15th December 2006, 12:35 PM
Hello PenPal, good looking pen, was the wood hard to turn???, haven't seen that clip before, where to get it? The fish clips i have are the bold type, very good for hiding blemishes!!! :D :D but are sort of "in your face".

Penpal
15th December 2006, 11:06 PM
This piece of blackwood was hard on the disk sander square up tended to try and burn,it was hard to cut in turning also like it had silica in it.All worth the effort,the clip came from Froggie and yes it is subdued and tastefull.Today I showed both the big fish on the Mango pen and the small fish,rod on the blackwood to a rod fishing fanatic,he tends toward the large in your aspect fish he describes as a bone fish,this fish is highly significant to rod anglers as a top sport fish caught using a rod so you never know do you.I guess it would cover up a worry spot indeed someone described doing that recently.
The worth of a pen,offered to my mate for forty dollars as one offs,he is wrapped,he spends 1500 odd dollars for his basic split bamboo rod made in NSW so what price a pen. Peter:)

lubbing5cherubs
16th December 2006, 12:10 AM
Very nice Peter. you should be pleased with that bye Toni

tashammer
17th December 2006, 08:56 AM
some of the more rare kind of blackwood looks like it is leopard spotted.

Simomatra
17th December 2006, 10:04 AM
Very nice Peter love the shape

Sam