PDA

View Full Version : OK Bandsaw boffins, I need help here.

kenmil
13th May 2003, 11:32 PM
I am researching bandsaws, and find myself confused with measurements. When a bandsaw is described as, say, a 14" saw, what is that actually measuring. I have deduced that it is not the depth of cut, so I wonder what it is ????

Further, I note that the Sherwood BAS-350 from Timbecon has the biggest motor (1-1/3HP), largest table (540 x 405), 180mm depth of cut, two speeds and an optional mobile stand for $948. That seems like a good price and list of features to me. Am I wrong ? Of course, freight will come into it too, unless I wait until October for the show;)

Wayne Davy
13th May 2003, 11:50 PM
Mate,

14" refers to the throat depth - i.e. column to blade. As for the timbecon one, sounds alright don't like the colour scheme but that does not affect its performance of course (although red cars do go faster dont they)

Asquared
14th May 2003, 01:20 AM
Wayne

I have the equivalent of the Sherwood BAS350 - mines a Maxon. Good sized machine for just about everything most average woodies would want to do. I haven't had any serious problems with mine but I've only had it about a year. There was a problem when I bought it though ....

I picked it up at the Perth Wood Show from a guy based in Melbourne who didn't want to take his show demo model back to Melbourne. It was the final afternoon and he put a red flashing light on it and dropped the price to $700. I offered him $600 and we settled on $650 - not a bad deal. Thing is, it was already set up on the stand and had been inuse durng the show. Whoever assembled it had over tightened the adjusting studs on the bearing assembly and had managed to crack the (cheap and nasty) alloy mounting feet holding two of the bearings in place. When I took the tension off to adjust them, they just fell apart. I called the vendor in Melbourne and he mailed me a complete bearing assembly without hesitation and I've been in business ever since. Just remember, DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE BEARING ADJUSTMENT STUDS!!

I've noticed that my saw is practically identical to the SHerwood and Electra Beckum and a few other brands. Presumably they all come from the same factory in China. They all have the same bearing assembly made from the same crappy alloy so there is a good chance that you'll get one similar. Also be careful when tightening the blade tension. Mostly the advice I've seen on this forum and in the reference pages says err on the side of more tight rather than less. I agree HOWEVER, with these lower priced machines you'll strip the threads on the tension screw if you go too hard so be careful.

Finally I can't imagine what I'd do without a bandsaw now that I've got one. Use it all the time and it is amazing how often I use it for all sorts of little jobs and several big ones. And I've got a compound mitre drop saw, a triton saw table (hardly ever used these days), a jig saw and circular saw. The band saw does the majority of my work followed closely by the drop saw then the jigsaw.

Have fun.:)

Dean
14th May 2003, 01:22 AM
Ahhh, but if the wheels are 14", then the throat width would be more or less the same anyway as the blade runs vertical up and down each tangent of the wheels?

So it could be throat width or wheel size if you ask me :)

GeoffS
14th May 2003, 09:16 AM
Wayne

Can't comment on the saw - don't own a band saw - would love to though.

The 14" is the wheel size It obviously does affect the throat - by how much depends on the manufacturer - some do it well and get the most, others not so good. There are some saws that increase the throat by having a third small wheel level with the table and offset so that the throat is much greater than that provided by the main wheels. Such saws will quote a 'throat' measurement.

I see mention of height increasers so that you get more depth of cut. Some do have them and they do work BUT unless you need it in there all the time (and it is going to be a big job putting it in and removing it) you wouldn't want it for the small jobs. It increases the ability of the blade to 'wander' as the guides are either further from the job or have less support.
I guess what I am saying is that if the saw wasn't built to have 12" depth of cut it is unlikely to be entirely satisfactory if you give it 12" of depth.

All my own opinions - shred me if you like!!

Dean
14th May 2003, 10:18 AM
Geoff good points on the throat width... I stand corrected.
At least my SW1401 Taiwanese 14" bandsaw has both 14" wheels and a 14" throat :)

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 10:35 AM
All,

Ken is the one buying the bandsaw not me (already have a nice H&F BA300).

Stoppers,

Good point, you are correct of course. I was going on the advertise B/S's. Generally, 14" wheels mean 14" throat but, like mine (12 inch throat due to blade cover) you don't get all of it. Mine does have a 7" depth though so I gain there (mine is the Euro style).

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 11:22 AM
Ken,

I don't have the catalogue handy but check out Hare & Forbes. I think they have a 16" for $995! Euro style inc. big table, fence, mitre gauge and 4" dust port. This is the big brother of mine.

derekcohen
14th May 2003, 05:16 PM
Ken

Keep in mind that the Euro style of bandsaw has a one-piece "arm". That is, it has a fixed height between the wheel cover and table and that this cannot be modified. The "Delta" type of bandsaw may be fitted with a Riser Kit, which extends the size of resaw from 6" to 12". This is an important consideration if you plan any resawing.

A second factor to explore is the tension that you can put on the blade. Some dial it up very high, other so-so. Again, the greater the tension the cleaner the cut (less blade wandering).

Regards from Perth

Derek

kenmil
14th May 2003, 06:02 PM
Thank you all for your valuable advice. It is much appreciated, though I felt a bit sorry for Wayne there when he got beat up for offering his advice. I am sure he can look after himself though.:D

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 06:06 PM
Don't worry about me (sniff) I'm a big boy now - Mom told me I was (wimper, sniff) :(

It's only Uncle Stoppers getting back at me for my dig at him about his new boat. In anycase, I just read his tag line and then forget he said anything :D

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 10:41 PM
Ken,

I just looked in the H&F dogalog and they have the BP-16A which has a 385mm throat (15.15") with a 230 depth for $799. As I said before, inc. big cast iron table (505x400), 1500w motor, fence, mitre gauge, roller bearing guides, height 1750, 120kg. This is a floor standing one and is quite big (I know Stoppers, not as big as yours). Lot of metal for the money.

kenmil
14th May 2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks Wayne.:)

errr.......Dust Collection ?????

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 11:03 PM
4" outlet in the bottom of the case same as mine which works ok but I still get a bit of dust on the table. I'm going to make an additional 4" hood to fit under the table near the bottom guide bearings to bring the air flow closer to the cutting. Then have both 4" pipes connected the 6" main duct. Just need some time (hah!)

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 11:32 PM
Scanned it for ya.

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 11:34 PM
Very happy with this one for the money (paid $529 at their sale).

Dean
14th May 2003, 11:53 PM
damn, both good looking saws at good looking prices!!
My Carbatec SW1401 clone is working well now though thanks to further finetuning and alignment of the wheels.