PDA

View Full Version : Grounding PVC and Other Dust Collection Myths

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 02:27 PM
The following link is to an article on the myths of Static electricity buildup in PVC. Good reading if you are piping your Dust Collector.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html

BTW This guy has had this article publish in two US Mag's that I know about and is recommended by Bill Pentz

ndru
14th May 2003, 03:31 PM
What great reading - good find Wayne!

I'm not a physicist, engineer of electrician but I can apreciate solid research into the fundamentals coupled with some logical thinking. I found this bit especially interesting:

The point of metal ducts is not that they will not charge the dust, because they will. The point of metal ducts is also not that they will remove charge from the dust cloud. The dust cloud itself is insulating; it cannot be grounded. Similarly, the point of grounding attempts with PVC is not to remove charge from the dust. This is the most common fallacy in discussions regarding grounding. Grounded metal ducts are used because discharges from metal to metal are often energetic enough to ignite dusts, and grounding prevents discharges from the ducts to other grounded items.

Now if only Global Warming was subjected to this approach! :D

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 04:19 PM
Just a point about my PVC Ducting.

I have not grounded it and wont unless it give me a big static shock. I have not had a static shock even though I have touched the ducting while the Cyclone is on and I have been making lots of dust (planner, router or table saw).

So, IMHO, even the worry about getting a zap is not a concern - at least not by me.