PDA

View Full Version : Some blanks awaiting

Penpal
17th December 2006, 11:08 AM
This is to show remaining blanks recently fitted with brasses and faced on the disk sander awaiting reaming,sometimes forget to remove the potato plug in the end and sometimes rough the brass on the sander so the reamer I use is a stepdrill,incidentally anyone know where I can buy new step drills for slimline,sometimes called counterbore? I have had this stepdrill for many years and it is still sharp and gently cleans the brass inside and shamfers the end at the same time.Cant say I like the current reamers or the design or their construction,flimsy.
Take care Peter:)

Penpal
17th December 2006, 11:11 AM
The blanks awaiting reaming to show the variation in shapes and sizes.Peter

NewLondon88
17th December 2006, 12:06 PM
ooo lots of interesting things in there! I see some hairy stuff? Where does that come from, anyway? I'm not familiar with it, but it looks nice.

Barry_White
17th December 2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Penpal

This is what I purchased from Gary Pye Woodworking to dress the ends of the pen blanks as well as cleaning out the tubes. I find it works well. for the slimlines.

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136753&product_id=1107219795

Penpal
17th December 2006, 08:10 PM
The timbers are Figured Blackwood,Hairy Oak,Olive,Outback Mallee Burl in three colours,Huon Pine burl tumbled together.
Barry that Mill looks best I have seen in HSS steel,certainly smoother than average,helofalot for what it is shrug.
Take care Peter:)

PenTurner
17th December 2006, 09:34 PM
Hello, Barry, does anyone know how to sharpen a pen mill, so far I have purchase a new one when needed because I don't really know how to.! Amos

Fireman sam
17th December 2006, 09:39 PM
I took my pen mill to a saw doctor . It works the best it ever has :rolleyes: :cool:
Andrew

NewLondon88
17th December 2006, 10:41 PM
I don't know the 'Saw Doctor' but it sounds like a blade/tool sharpening service is offered.. that's what I would have thought. Take it to the place that does my blades and bits.

That pen mill *does* look nice .. HSS and all, but I agree that it sounds like a lot of money. I think mine was $10 (USD) but it came with 7mm, 10mm and 11mm as well as the hex key to change them and some 7mm bushings. and some sort of tube having to do with pencils.. dunno Ihaven't figured that part out yet.

Nowhere near as nice and shiny though :D