PDA

View Full Version : ques for architects designers etc

julianx
17th December 2006, 01:32 PM
Hi all
One of my daughters is starting interior design at uni next year and I wanted to get her a subscription to an decent magazine, as I always find them a good way to keep up with innovations and latest trends etc. Could anyone recomend one that is accepted with in the industry or something better than house and garden.
Thanks in advance
Julian

bitingmidge
17th December 2006, 02:08 PM
Julian,

I don't want to make a simple issue complex, but since I'm really good at that:-

Go to http://architext.com.au/ the Institute of Architects run bookshop, and run through the magazines or periodicals index.

There are zillions of them, and all have a different slant depending on the "in" crowd she'll hang around with.

Often magazines in other languages will be useful in breaking from the local mold, but Artichoke, InDesign and Architectural Review are a few Aussie ones.

It may be better to buy a nice book,(I'd have any from the front page of the above website) then leave the subscription till she's had time to review a few and understand where she wishes her influences to lie.

Cheers,

P

julianx
17th December 2006, 02:41 PM
I don't want to make a simple issue complex, but since I'm really good at that:-

P

Thats OK Midge, you're and architect, thats part of your job description:D

Thanks for the link and the suggestions they're exactly what I was looking for.

Julianx

Sir Stinkalot
17th December 2006, 03:11 PM
I have subscribed to "Architecture Australia" and "Houses" for a number of years but have been loosing interest with them lately. I have recently subscribed to "Trends" after having a look at a few issues at work. They have a Christmas Special (http://trendsideas.com/?region=3) on at the moment for subscriptions so I will test them out for the next 12 months and drop AA and Houses.

Home & Commercial Design Series 13 editions for AUD$52.00 + shipping

Trends seems to have a good feature where you can bookmark articles on line for easy reference later. I havent explored it fully yet but it is something I plan to look into.

Unfortunatley there is no simple answer to this one as her own style will dictate what she will find useful but I am sure for $50 odd trends will be of some use.