PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed - ASAP - LUTZ combo

DaveInOz
14th May 2003, 03:05 PM
I'm looking at a LUTZ Maxxum combo machine with a very short window of opportunity.
I've never heard of them before this is what I've been able to find out:

Manufacturer Description
Lutz has been supplying the European market with high quality woodworking machinery for over 20 years. The machines are designed for the home-based enthusiast and offer outstanding value for money. All machines are compact, transportable and simple to operate.

Product Description
The Maxxum is a seven-way combination machine of compact design and quality construction.

Information
0 - 80mm cutting depth Saw
2 x 2.5 HP + 1 x 2 HP Induction Motors
3 Year Guarantee
Feed rate 3.6 m/min
Left Hand Table included
Max. Tool diameter 130mm
Planer table 260mm x 910mm
Rubber in-feed & out-feed rollers
Saw Blade Diameter 260mm
Sliding carriage Included
Spindle Moulder Rise & Fall 0 - 60mm
Spindle Shaft 30mm
Thermal Overload Cut-out
Thicknesser 260mm x 185mm
Tilting to 45 Degrees Spindle & Saw
Top Extraction hose included

Footprint 1170mm x 1050mm
Working Height 850mm
Weight 95 kgs

Please let me know any impressions etc.

John Saxton
14th May 2003, 09:05 PM
Dave,Just a couple of points to query on:-

Depth of cut when saw at maximum tilt to 45 degrees( you may want to mitre cut good sized framing material)

Speed range of the spindle moulder ...and whether a conversion kit for router bits is available though not really necessary but handy for larger bits and panel raising.

Whether a mortising table is included(you didn't mention this but as you said it was a 7 function I assumed as such but not whether it came included)

How many knives in the Planer/thicknesser head should be a minimum of three.

Have a good look at the fence they provide with the machine as this is one of the most important features of the machine too easily overlooked ie readily changeable from saw to planer and true.

Finally Dave, ask if you can test drive the machine or see it in operation for comfort of use /noise etc and see for your self the end product of any timber put thru it's paces.
Any Good machinery/tool dealer will acquiesce to your request and not only show you the ropes but how it performs.In other words you'd test drive a new car wouldn't you?

Just some noise from lil' ol me.
Cheers:)

Wayne Davy
14th May 2003, 10:52 PM
95kg - typo - if not does not sound very solid for a combo. Some Contractors Saws weigh more than that!

DaveInOz
15th May 2003, 12:39 PM
Okay - I don't want to hear any bad stuff now (just kidding) I've splashed out and bought it for $2057.00 ($1700 +GST +10% premium)
Given you could pay that for a fully rigged triton set up I figured I can't go wrong.

:D Woo Hoo I have a combo

I'll get it home tomorrow and check it out.

craigb
15th May 2003, 02:54 PM
Sounds amazingly cheap- nice score!

A search on google turned up a u.k. web site selling it for 1189 pounds, so at 2.5 pounds to the $A you've really got a bargain.

Post and let us know how you like it once you've had it for a while.

DaveInOz
15th May 2003, 04:57 PM
Bought at an auction for me by a mate (I haven't seen it, but it looked to him like shop display stock)
I will let you know how it goes as soon as I know ;)

I can't believe what gets sold at the auctions for stupid prices !! Amazing , I could get hooked on woodies auctions :D

John Saxton
15th May 2003, 08:44 PM
Good on you Dave, it's good to hear that someone out there is having a win. :D
Now you'll need to check out serviceability ie: dealers and parts replacement should the need arise...other than that have a good time with your new toy.

Cheers:)

Wayne Davy
15th May 2003, 10:26 PM
Good onya Dave - have fun with the new toy.

jamendog
28th January 2009, 08:52 AM
Bought at an auction for me by a mate (I haven't seen it, but it looked to him like shop display stock)
I will let you know how it goes as soon as I know ;)

I can't believe what gets sold at the auctions for stupid prices !! Amazing , I could get hooked on woodies auctions :D

Wauw, sitting here in Denmark 2009, looking on a Lütz Maxxum, and the seeing that's nothingt has moved from 2003?

Come on Guyes! Mary has married the Danish Kronprince?
and I want to buy a German Combi, but read only bad Feed-back on it?
Is the Lütz Maxxum bad? 1850EUR without VAT, smal and very good specifikations! The internet just recall bad reputation, as unacurate, cheep and wate off money?

Ok, if going for a combo to arround 2000 EUR, what then?
Cheers Jesper, Cangurofree Denmark

Berlin
28th January 2009, 09:19 AM
Maybe start a new thread Jesper, you'll get more replies, but have a look at the Kity Bestcombi. I'm not sure if you can find one in Denmark, but they made them in France for years and I think a British company makes them now. I found a picture of the new model here...

http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/cheapest/Kity-Bestcombi-2000-Universal-Woodworking-Machine-6-Functions/30641145/428

jamendog
29th January 2009, 06:15 AM
Ich bedanken mir, Berlin,
thanks for promt reply, down in the southern part of our part of the world.

Yes I have been the whole? way arround and have been looking on combies in the pricelevel, 2000EUR/3000US$.
I have looked on second-hand ones (old, heavy and solid) and also new ones
- low weigh, lot's of smart features, but which quality?

The Maxxum have on paper the right specs for me, but I have not had in in my hands.
Then there is a similar - Chinese made Private Label thing? - on Ebay, for same money and with double weight, compared with Lütz Maxxum, se :
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140283805559
(sold under many names, as Holzman, Bernardo and ??)

Common for the new ones is words as compact, smart and cheep!
Then I could find a used Hammer (Felder) C3-260 or a Robland X26/31 for some more hard-earned-money... - but... is the new ones "good enough" or is "kan do what leaflett sayes" to bad for being able to have a sleep without nightmares?

(Right now in this financial crise (not my words!) it's possible to find VERY cheep machinery)

Cheers, Denmark, who beat Germany in the semi-finale in Handball...
(sory Berlin, we paid the black men, judging more)
Jesper