PDA

View Full Version : Hi Kids

Daddles
14th May 2003, 05:24 PM
Hi Kids, I've found where you are hiding. Love this board too - so much stuff to stop me achieving anything while I'm supposed to be working.

For the curious, my avatar is the boat I will be building - starting soon as soon as Australia Post delivers the plans. It's an Oughtred Auk. Starting big.

But one question: this being an aussie forum, do we have any yanks to bait?

Cheers
Richard

Daddles
15th May 2003, 11:50 PM
One of the joys of an aeromodelling forum I frequent is the aussies baiting the yanks. The sad part is, we're usually killing ourselves and they have no idea it's happening. Of course, the same might apply in reverse but ... :p

Cheers
Richard

Wild Dingo
17th May 2003, 01:16 AM
So you finally found our little wharf bar Richard :cool: Dont sweat it mate Im pretty wet behind the ears here as well no worries!

Well these fellas aint anywhere near as rambunctious as those other fellas and most septic tanks here are quiet unassumin types if there are any that is :rolleyes: ... we do gots Canadians though! ;)

But theres a heck of a resource of info directly related to us Aussies its flamin brilliant!!

And if you were wondering what my avitar is... its my conundrum... Designed by one Iain Oughtred the Grey Seal has me fretting...

You see Ive done meself a mighty mischief today... which when her royalness the lovely possumpoop finds out is gonna rip me gronicles out and stick em in me ear!... so what did I do?... Well I got an offer from another fella the other night for the 2 sets of plans {both centreboard version and full keel version} for Iain Oughtreds Grey Seal which Ive sent the money for today... AND... I was also offered another deal I couldnt refuse from the same fella for the complete plans for the Norse Folkboat another boat thats had me drooling for some time now... So three sets of plans for less than half of what Id pay for the one set of Grey Seal! I just couldnt resist!!!

So off went the money...

But!!!... Ive been in love with the Dark Harbor 17 1/2 for some time now so what did I do?... Yep off went the money to woodenboat.com!!!... egad is this woman of mine gonna slaughter me when she finds out... and Im not tellin her that I also sent of the money for the plans which arrived today of the 40ft schooner "Fame" also by Crowninshield... :rolleyes:

Aye I tells yer Im dead meat!!! :(

Please... no one ask how many full sets of plans for boats I now have!!! cause it will take me an hour or so to flamin well count them!! :eek:

Gidday Im Shane and Im a wooden boat plan addict :rolleyes: :p

BB Crowninsheilds Dark Harbor 17 1/2

Wild Dingo
17th May 2003, 01:21 AM
A better pic of Grey Seal

Wild Dingo
17th May 2003, 01:25 AM
and the Norse Folkboat

Sooo which to do??? mmmm which to build??? aaahhh the pain of it all... oh woe!! :D :p

Daddles
17th May 2003, 11:24 AM
Ah Shane me boy, I see you have fallen for the mighty trap of having good taste. There is only one thing you can do, choose the wrong boat and start building her. The trick is to be stubborn enough to finish her. Why choose the wrong boat? Because I know from long and sad experience with cars and model aeroplanes that us gentlefolk that share your obsessive behaviour that we will never be completely happy with our choices - there is always another curvaceous line to catch the eye. Fortunately, we have to ability to fall in love with our projects and see them through to completion, which is nice if you're tackling something of the scale of a Grey Seal.

Cheers
Richard
who recently bought the plans for a Tender Behind, then, two days after they arrived, purchased the plans for an Auk and who has now fallen for the Whisp.

Wild Dingo
17th May 2003, 08:03 PM
Funnily enough I dont feel in the slightest guilty about it all :cool:... ooohhh and by the livin harry I flamin well should!! :eek:

She the lovely light of me life and perserverir of all my weird tangents the right royal possumpoop had a purple chocolate and raspberry fit this am when one of the blabbermouth yabber yabbers I call hoons couldnt shut up! :rolleyes: ooohh how she lost all control this precious mango drop... seemed to loose all control wavin a rather large didgeredoo around her pretty noggin while letting out this almighty banshee wail... aahhh the hearing returned by late arvo but the pain was something shocking!

I really dont unnerstan her problem it were me tool funds after all... sigh so I dont get a lathe just yet mmmmm an that routers lookin rather doubtfull of a sudden and Im no longer allowed out down to the shop or anywhere near the post office or bank the bank atm card has been confiscated and Im in the doghouse somethin shockin... I guess Im no longer on that promise eh? sigh :(

Trouble is mate I cant decide... there is no ugly one... mmmm well... the folkboat I dont really like... that much but then she does have some really... oohhh and man I cant not build Grey Seal can I? And definantly no way I can not build the Dark Harbor is there Ol BB sure could draw!!

Anyways while I was persona noncomprementus today and no one was allowed near me... on fear of getting their mothers ire up and copin a whole mess of the little bouganvillia petals dander... sigh... I took one of the heart shaped blanks from the stack of timber out the front a couple of old chisels {suitably sharpened of couse! ;) } a wooden mallet and a tomahawk... and set to!! Really initially I had no idea what I was gonna do but ended up with this wee table... yes yes the flamin timbers green as a Tazweegians beer :p but one can get an idea... trouble is its opened up a whole mess of new questions!!! which I will ask advice for in another setor of the forums...

Wild Dingo
17th May 2003, 08:09 PM
Funnily enough I dont feel in the slightest guilty about it all :cool:... ooohhh and by the livin harry I flamin well should!! :eek:

She the lovely light of me life and perserverir of all my weird tangents the right royal possumpoop had a purple chocolate and raspberry fit this am when one of the blabbermouth yabber yabbers I call hoons couldnt shut up! :rolleyes: ooohh how she lost all control this precious mango drop... seemed to loose all control wavin a rather large didgeredoo around her pretty noggin while letting out this almighty banshee wail... aahhh the hearing returned by late arvo but the pain was something shocking!

I really dont unnerstan her problem it were me tool funds after all... sigh so I dont get a lathe just yet mmmmm an that routers lookin rather doubtfull of a sudden and Im no longer allowed out down to the shop or anywhere near the post office or bank the bank atm card has been confiscated and Im in the doghouse somethin shockin... I guess Im no longer on that promise eh? sigh :(

Trouble is mate I cant decide... there is no ugly one... mmmm well... the folkboat I dont really like... that much but then she does have some really... oohhh and man I cant not build Grey Seal can I? And definantly no way I can not build the Dark Harbor is there Ol BB sure could draw!!

Anyways while I was persona noncomprementus today and no one was allowed near me... on fear of getting their mothers ire up and copin a whole mess of the little bouganvillia petals dander... sigh... I took one of the heart shaped blanks from the stack of timber out the front a couple of old chisels {suitably sharpened of couse! ;) } a wooden mallet and a tomahawk... and set to!! Really initially I had no idea what I was gonna do but ended up with this wee table... yes yes the flamin timbers green as a Tazweegians beer :p but one can get an idea... trouble is its opened up a whole mess of new questions!!! which I will ask advice for in another setor of the forums...

Wild Dingo
17th May 2003, 08:13 PM
And from the top... yes yes much to do yet afore shes anywhere near ready but it gave me something to do that kept me away from her dearest the lovely dewdrop my possumpoop:cool: I feel I could become one of them artists to the rich and flamin wealthy comin on? How much yer reckon I could ask for her? 500? 1000? 2000? :eek: WHY NOT!!... HA!!! :D

Daddles
17th May 2003, 10:15 PM
Ah Shane me lad. Go poking sticks in ants nests and mad wimmen get you every time. I reckon that table ought to go a fair way towards forgiving you. :D

As for the boat. Sit down and carefully and rationally choose the best boat for you, the one that satisfies every requirement. Then eliminate it - it's obviously not the one. Then start again. Sooner or later, you'll realise that there is one boat you just can not eliminate no matter what you try. Pin a bloody big piccy of it up over your computer, another behind the toilet door, on the front of the fridge. If you aren't sick of the sight of the thing by the time you're ready to start building, it's probably the one. :p

Cheers
Richard
who's been through this with model aeroplanes. I solved the problem by designing my own ... but I don't suggest that with boats of this order. :cool:

JackoH
18th May 2003, 11:42 AM
Youse guys don't arf tork funee! Theres nothing like a bit of salt in the veins, ask Stoppers. Luverly boats.
Wild Dingo. I've seen that lump of Tuart somewhere else hav'nt I? By the way is that your blood on the concrete after 'er indoors (your possompoop, crickey) has had her revenge?:)

essness
23rd January 2004, 08:47 AM
Wild Dingo, you previously posted that you have purchased plans for a "40ft schooner "Fame" by Crowninshield". I would appreciate if you could direct me to a place where I can get these plans. Fame was built by B.B. Crowninshield and launched at East Boothbay Maine in 1910 My father owned her from 1920 till 1958. He brought her to Chicago in 1920 and she still sails the great lakes from Chicago today.

Yep, I'm a Yank!

Bubinga
28th February 2004, 08:52 AM
I really like Grey Seal. Very cool.
Rick

Wild Dingo
9th May 2004, 09:39 PM
essness... BB Crowninsheilds designs are held at the Peabody Museum in Salem Mass USA Peabody Essex Museum (http://www.pem.org/homepage/)

Peabody Essex Museum
East India Square
Salem, MA 01970-3783 USA
Phone: 978-745-9500, 866-745-1876

I know the fella that we delt with had an email but its been awhile and several computer hard drives since so Im damned if I know what it is anymore!! And I cant find one on their web site above.

The thing with Fame is that the actual construction plans are unavailable... you get the sail plans, the offsets and another sheet of the internal layout... what I found though was that BB had designed another schooner the same length breath and almost identical to Fame so we sent for the construction plans of her... there is a wee difference in the angle of the lead and timber keel but the actual boat is pretty much the same... having shown a couple of NAs the drawings their comments were that the boat could be built from what I had without any fault to be found.

BBs designs were generally built by professional boatbuilders who would simply get the sail plan and the table of offsets and build a half model then from the offsets build the boat... I not being a professional boatbuilder however need those construction plans!!

I also found that BB drew his plans in weird scales... like 1 3/8" > 1ft his Dark Harbor 12 1/2 was done in this way as well but has been successfully built recently by a freind in the USA... stunning boat by the way!... Anyway the professional boatbuilder would have a scale made up to BBs requirements this apparently isnt so unusual as I first thought as that doyen of American boat designers Herroshoff {sp?} also at times used an off the wall scale with his drawings... this apparently had several reasons first to stopped some amatures building the boats and subsequently building faulty boats and meeting with catastrophic accidents and kept the professional boatbuilders in business... these are some reasons expressed by people more well versed in the history of these old designers than I

Unfortunately it confused me something shocking so Ive shelved the plans for now... also with Fame she is essentially a day boat the accomodations are to say the least minimal and would be uncomfortable for all but short trips which actually is what BB planned when he drew them... and the subsequent boat has spent most if not all its life sailing in and around Boston harbor and regions. She still sails those waters today almost 100 years since she was built!!! A testiment to the design the designer and the magnificent boatbuilders of the day :cool:

Grey Seal is still waitin... beautiful wee boat she be

swaddo
3rd August 2004, 10:10 PM
Howdy,

Another newbie here, stumbled on this place by accident and bugger me ... Wild Dingo is here too (spotted ya over on the wooden boat forum Shane)

I agree that Oughtred designs are sweet. I've been eyeing off the Eun Mara (http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/designers/oughtred/eunmara4.jpg) for a while. The missus needs some convincing though ;)

I got hold of the plans for a Cosine Wherry (http://www.raysdreamboats.com/wherry.html) and I'm thinking i might build one as a warm-up before getting into something bigger. I sure need the practice cause since I've done bugger all woodwork since high school. As a woodworker i make a great programmer.

TassieKiwi
4th August 2004, 12:12 AM
Grey Seal. No contest.

windywoody
6th October 2004, 07:46 AM
essness... BB Crowninsheilds designs are held at the Peabody Museum in Salem Mass USA Peabody Essex Museum (http://www.pem.org/homepage/)

Peabody Essex Museum
East India Square
Salem, MA 01970-3783 USA
Phone: 978-745-9500, 866-745-1876

I know the fella that we delt with had an email but its been awhile and several computer hard drives since so Im damned if I know what it is anymore!! And I cant find one on their web site above.

The thing with Fame is that the actual construction plans are unavailable... you get the sail plans, the offsets and another sheet of the internal layout... what I found though was that BB had designed another schooner the same length breath and almost identical to Fame so we sent for the construction plans of her... there is a wee difference in the angle of the lead and timber keel but the actual boat is pretty much the same... having shown a couple of NAs the drawings their comments were that the boat could be built from what I had without any fault to be found.

BBs designs were generally built by professional boatbuilders who would simply get the sail plan and the table of offsets and build a half model then from the offsets build the boat... I not being a professional boatbuilder however need those construction plans!!

I also found that BB drew his plans in weird scales... like 1 3/8" > 1ft his Dark Harbor 12 1/2 was done in this way as well but has been successfully built recently by a freind in the USA... stunning boat by the way!... Anyway the professional boatbuilder would have a scale made up to BBs requirements this apparently isnt so unusual as I first thought as that doyen of American boat designers Herroshoff {sp?} also at times used an off the wall scale with his drawings... this apparently had several reasons first to stopped some amatures building the boats and subsequently building faulty boats and meeting with catastrophic accidents and kept the professional boatbuilders in business... these are some reasons expressed by people more well versed in the history of these old designers than I

Unfortunately it confused me something shocking so Ive shelved the plans for now... also with Fame she is essentially a day boat the accomodations are to say the least minimal and would be uncomfortable for all but short trips which actually is what BB planned when he drew them... and the subsequent boat has spent most if not all its life sailing in and around Boston harbor and regions. She still sails those waters today almost 100 years since she was built!!! A testiment to the design the designer and the magnificent boatbuilders of the day :cool:

Grey Seal is still waitin... beautiful wee boat she be
Hey Mates,
Just want to make a quick post about FAME....
She's still sailing here in Chicago and I'm the current owner these past 15 years.
I can provide you with some recent photos and historic data if you're interested, just keep in mind I'm a computer newbie and maybe a little slow in responding.
MM
BTW Also see http://www.modern-marine.com/

Wassa.
27th October 2004, 02:06 PM
G'day Skippers.

I'm a boat painter and I like to restore old wooden racing dinghies. Then I like to race them.

I wondered where Daddles and Dingo got to ... is Doorstop and Mike F, here as well? It would seem like nothing was missing if they were, apart from the loss of the Republicans which is no loss at all.

Warren.

Wassa.
27th October 2004, 02:14 PM
When I saw that I am 'now an apprentice' again ... I feel very sprightly.

An apprentice ... 30 years after the event. Truly awesome.

Warren.

Daddles
28th October 2004, 03:24 PM
G'day Warren.
Still messing with those dinghies eh? Silly boy. The varnish has attacked the old brain cells which is why you wound up here. Doorstop's here somewhere.

Richard

Wild Dingo
31st October 2004, 12:18 AM
As Richard says mate Chris is around about... Mike I havent seen which is a shame hes got a whole mess of stuff he could contribute... none of the others either from what Ive seen... mind you Bob Smalser pops in now and again

RE FAME!

Mike! Contact me by email if you can mate { [email protected] }... let me put it this way...

I AM DEFINANTLY INTERESTED IN ANYTHING FAME RELATED!!!! :cool:

oh and Mike? You may want to get someone to have a gander at that email program at modern marine... it sent mine back!!! :mad: