PDA

View Full Version : Buggar bum basturd!! I NEED ELECTRICITY!!

Wild Dingo
18th December 2006, 02:11 AM
In me shed...

Ive never had the shed powered up and have always used extention leads from the house... I thought about wiring the shed in Mandurah up once but the quote I got for the job scared me off... So far down here Ive avoided doing so as other priorities have gotten in the way of doing so... till today!!

See I run an extention lead the 50mtrs to the shed then connect that to a powerboard so I can have the small run of light globes running and a couple of machines... I then run another extention to run the large machines...

WELL... there I was at the bandsaw cutting a piece of sheoak ready for turning into a bedside lampstand for the SIL... squinting and peering blindly over me specs I should have realized I needed more light but kept going anyway its only a few short cuts isnt it?

So Im cutting the peice down my nose no more than 3in from the sodding blade which even for me is a tad too close for comfort but I put down to needing new specs... when zap... the machine whines down to a stop I poke me head up and with a few choice words I notice the little string of lightbulbs are off... so I wander over to the power board and click the button and whalla lights again... go over to the bandsaw hit the button... no lights again... more cussing over to the power board same deal all over again..

So I look at the powerboard and figure mmmm if I take out the lathe lead take out the lead for the sander take out everything and leave just the bandsaw that should do the trick... so I did

And by gar it worked :cool: ...so I arced it up again (remember this is an 18in bandsaw so not an item to be sneezed at) and faced the wood to the blade again to finish the cut Id started... only now there was no bloody light AT ALL... well other than the dim evening glow from outside coming in the open door behind me which meant I was working in shadow as well as no light... but buggins bein buggins decided to hell with it I can do this :rolleyes:

So face the timber to the rapid movin blade... now where the hell did that pencil line go?... down lower lower... lower.... lower... lower... AH EUREKA!! theres the sucker! he thinks then wonders that the wind has picked up outside as his curly locks are blowin like mad but figures no worries... he lifts his eyeballs to watch the progression of the timber through the blade and

HOLEYSHYTENFRIGGINMONGRELBUSTARDS!!! :eek:

The blade was wizzin by less than an inch from me nostrals!! SERIOUSLY!! :eek:

man talk about pack me daks! scared the livin hell outta me!... so I did the only thing I could in the circumstances... I turned the machine of backed away and put the wood down... and cracked a beer! Man it sure was beer oclock in the shed then by crickey! ;) Kimberley cool the chrissy cheer will need to be rebought tomorrow since Ive pretty much drunk the lot ;)

Now I know... I GOTTA GET POWER OUT THERE!!!

Honorary Bloke
18th December 2006, 03:00 AM
Bugger, Dingo! We'd have missed you, mate. :eek:

Either run some power or go Darkside. :) Me, I'd run the power. ;)

bsrlee
18th December 2006, 03:08 AM
If your wiring is not recent and run with 20amp capacity, don't try this one!

Just run 2 extension cords from the house power to the shed - one to the lights and one to the machinery power board - the power board with only have a 10amp rating, so any prolonged use with machinery near 10 amps will cause it to overheat & cut out - used to happen to me with my old stick welder in summer, but not in winter, I just had to go have a rest for 15 minutes or so, then re-start.

Another, possibly cheaper, idea: - get one of those LED keychain lights (the little <$10 ones), screw/bolt it to a piece of aluminium strip, then bolt that to your bandsaw. You can then bend it so the light shines on your cut mark - a lot cheaper than getting one of the hi-tech light arrangements from the Big Boys tool stores.

ciscokid
18th December 2006, 05:11 AM
How come I only understood about three words in every sentence?

Is it because I'm American??? :D

Faced with much the same problem a couple of years ago, I had an electrician come out he told what needed to be done. I told him to come back in a week and I proceeded to do all the 'grunt work'. Drilling through cinderblock walls, digging trench, running conduit and pulling wires, etc...

In a week he returned and it only took him an hour to do the hookups. I saved a pile of green (which I then spent on tools and beer) and everyone was happy.

Ivan in Oz
18th December 2006, 07:04 AM

ROTF [F****n] LOL

:eek:

You Bustard!!!!!;) ;) My Ribs aree sore and Gut's aching from Laughing:D

How come the the only Septics I meet in person
Have no SOH at at ALL.

CiscoKid, you crack me up:)

Wild Dingo
19th December 2006, 02:38 AM

:eek: Damn! You figured me out!! Buggar! :(

No seriously I carefully choose me words on the net just so I can come across clear as mud to anyone other than an Aussie... see Im conspiring... shhhh dont tell anyone okay?

One day I will be able to extrapolate on the reasons behind all the secret words and phrases but it cant be now... your just too young... no sorry homeland security fbi cia and all that cant be too careful you know :)

Now about the exention leads... I can ONLY run one... since I have only one outlet outside the house and that runs the hot water system which by the way is on the blink and cant be switched off unless we dont want hot water which really isnt needed just now seeing as the weathers nice and warm but you know sheilas gotta have their warm barfs :) and the 16 year old daughter tends to get rather phissed of with me if I come marchin into her bedroom and open her window lean out and bring the extention lead in through the window at 5am to plug into her outlet :rolleyes:

So only one outlet and presently that has a double adapter stuck in it so the boywonder out in his caravan can have his noise pollution disguised as... well noise :rolleyes: And heaven forbid I or anyone else dares unplug his power from his caravan!! So Im sorta in a bit of a bind with regard power anyways... But I do run the extention lead out there!!

Sigh... a little light like you suggest bsrlee would be a great idea... ACTUALLY!!! Ive got one of them magnifyin glasses with a light in it!! Alrighty now to work out how to attach that sucker to the bandsaw!! :cool: then I could kill two birds with one stone eh?... mmm but then the times I have used it it sorta confused me an I would turn it aside and peer down at what I was doin... came right close to bonkin me snozzle on a madly whirrling peice of jarrah on the lathe last time I was home just by doin that :eek:

I sure do need power to me shed :( Any one know a good cheep (as in several cartoons of the finest ale cheep) lectrician in the Bunbury area? mmmm?? :cool: ;) heck I dont even care if hes friggin retired is blind as a bat and wears double hearing aids!! I have a future son in law whos an apprentice I can loan him for the day!... I sure do need power to me shed... and yes Im whining!! :rolleyes:

ciscokid
19th December 2006, 05:04 AM
...homeland security fbi cia and all that cant be too careful you know :)

I know. ;) I work in Washington.

... I can ONLY run one... since I have only one outlet outside the house

Forget the outlets. You need proper power. Find the circuit box for your home. Hopefully, there will still be some unused slots for breakers. If not, buy a small extra breaker box. Bust a hole through the side of your house near the breaker box (preferably directly under it). Buy some bury rated conduit. I don't know what they call the stuff down there, but it looks like flexible metal conduit with a thick layer of PVC around it. Run the end of this conduit through the hole in the house and then proceed to run the conduit around your house, clamping it securely as you go, until you get to the point at which it is a straight shot to your shed. At this point it is time to go underground. Start trenching this conduit right on over to your shop and run it right on in. Install a small breaker box on a handy wall, fish some 12 ga. or heavier cable through it, and call an electrician.
At this point, all he has to do is make the connections in your house and then the connections to the box in your shed. (Most houses have gobs of electricity running to them and we rarely use up all of it)
Now you have an operational junction box in your shed from which you can run dedicated circuits to overhead lights, tools, or whatever you like.

I just performed this same operation last Spring running power out to my tiki bar. And yes, my tiki bar needed dedicated power with separate circuits. It's kind of a big tiki bar. :o

Good luck to ya!

Wild Dingo
19th December 2006, 11:55 AM
I know. ;) I work in Washington.

aaaaahhhh shyte!! Im done mates they got me... shhhhhh from here on just whispers okay? :D

Forget the outlets. You need proper power. Find the circuit box for your home. Hopefully, there will still be some unused slots for breakers. If not, buy a small extra breaker box. Bust a hole through the side of your house near the breaker box (preferably directly under it). Buy some bury rated conduit. I don't know what they call the stuff down there, but it looks like flexible metal conduit with a thick layer of PVC around it. Run the end of this conduit through the hole in the house and then proceed to run the conduit around your house, clamping it securely as you go, until you get to the point at which it is a straight shot to your shed. At this point it is time to go underground. Start trenching this conduit right on over to your shop and run it right on in. Install a small breaker box on a handy wall, fish some 12 ga. or heavier cable through it, and call an electrician.
At this point, all he has to do is make the connections in your house and then the connections to the box in your shed. (Most houses have gobs of electricity running to them and we rarely use up all of it)
Now you have an operational junction box in your shed from which you can run dedicated circuits to overhead lights, tools, or whatever you like.

You aint seen the wiring in this place have you? oooh its a true blue ridgey didge Aussie do it yerselfer this one I can tell yer... its got wiring from the 40s all the way through to new stuff from last year just hodge podged together... seriously!! Young Ben got up in the roof a few months back to check it out (apprentice electrician and qual lighting tech) and came scampering back down faster than a mating goanna on heat!... terrified him! The old part of the house is wired using that old time material covered stuff remember that? well one part of the house has that the main part of the house has newer stuff circa 1950-1960s and its in as near as he could tell sorta mmmm okay condition and the newer part is wired with a combo of the two... the blokes that "fixed" the wiring last year after the flood didnt and why the place didnt burn to the ground is beyond him (he and his boss came back and fixed all the problem areas new clips new wire to replace the wornout stuff but no major rewiring) and the underneath of the house is just as bad... how it ever passed ANY test is beyond them! Personally I dont think anyone has bothered testing anything... they just wired up as they needed to go an left anything they didnt need to alter... mind you the plumbings the same :rolleyes:

Not making excuses just the way this damned house is... the power box Id not touch with a barge pole and Ben has his worries with it as well... sigh no Im gonna have to hang tuff for a few more months yet I suppose until we decide on which design of house we want and order the sodding thing at which time we will get Ben and his boss back and they can run a separate line out to the new place wiring up the shed as they go past... then once thats up we can DEMOLISH this nightmare of a house

Oh and I rightly blamer her bloody highness for all this!! Well if we had moved to kalgoorlie like Id proposed we would not be here and wouldnt have these problems... but no she bein her bloody highness the legendary possumpoop an master slave driver extraudinair who always knows best wanted this place :rolleyes: sheilas sheesh cant give em an inch can we :p

I just performed this same operation last Spring running power out to my tiki bar. And yes, my tiki bar needed dedicated power with separate circuits. It's kind of a big tiki bar. :o

Good luck to ya!

Show us the bar!!! Its bloody beer oclock down here and I want ideas! ;)

echnidna
19th December 2006, 12:35 PM
Forget the electricity,

there is a simple and cheap solution,

become a darksider:eek:

Wild Dingo
19th December 2006, 01:41 PM
Forget the electricity,

there is a simple and cheap solution,

become a darksider:eek:

You are worryin me young Bob :o I kinda like me modcons nowadays ;)

Ivan in Oz
19th December 2006, 01:42 PM
:eek: Damn! You figured me out!! Buggar! :(

No seriously I carefully choose me words on the net just so I can come across clear as mud to anyone other than an Aussie...
and yes Im whining!! :rolleyes:

WD,
I once tried to explain "No Wucken Furries" to some Septics, without using any coarse Language.:cool: :cool:
Towards the end I commented that it might seem
"As clear as mud"

I then had 2 things to still explain:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
HEY!!
Any NON Aussies on here,
Yes you are welcome.

I do not include K1W1s as they KNOW they are always welcome,
even though we put heaps on one another:D

Wild Dingo
19th December 2006, 05:51 PM
Mate... I cant say two friggin words to a septic without having to go into a long translation!! :rolleyes: Really I do think their edjoomakashun system sucks to heck an gone... they SHOULD no read MUST get Aussie into their "english" classes!! :mad:

Oh an why in bloody blue blazes do we teach our hoonberries "english" for anyways? I mean were bloody Aussies teach the little buggars AUSSIE!!! An yous seppos should teach your nippers seppo too... buggar the english! let the poms speak that lingo :p

ciscokid
19th December 2006, 11:49 PM
Hey Wild Dingo, I was just kiddin' you when I said I didn't understand you. Clear as mud, mate. You want a picture of my tiki bar? Build one of these in your back yard. Right next to the billabong. It's always beer o'clock here. Although I prefer a nice ale over watered down Budweiser.
The next shot is a how to on how to find your wiring. I'm on Christmas holidays here and my better three quarters has been whining about not wanting a certain wall in the house. Keeps talking about how she would just like it gone. So I walk in yesterday morning with a sledge hammer and a reciprocating saw. You shoulda seen her eyes! Two hours later the wall is gone and I'm sending her for a broom and a dust bin. I got more work ahead of me patching things up and all but the wall is no more.
Maybe she'll think twice before complaining about those picture windows. One good dining room chair should handle one of those! ;) You ever get to Washington, you stop in and have a beer. We'll cook a pig. (I raise pigs and black Angus cattle, you know)

Shedgirl
20th December 2006, 02:50 AM
It's really hot here, Ciscoe. You kill the pig and we'll put on our cossies and be over for a swim.

Honorary Bloke
20th December 2006, 05:18 AM
Hey Cisco,

Since Dingo can't make it, I'll be up in Charlottesville Saturday and it would serve you right if I tooled up toward your place. If you have livestock, I'm guessing Leesburg area. :D

ciscokid
20th December 2006, 09:18 AM
Think a little lower, mate. Like Culpeper area. If you're coming up 95, all you have to do is hang a left at Fredericksburg. Take Route 3 about 20 minutes west. I have 50 acres right on the scenic Rappahannock River. By all means stop by. There's always cold beer and hot food. I got six horses for trail riding, a shooting berm for rifle and pistol action, and a nice hill I shoot skeet off of. Just send me an email if you feel like stopping by.

Come to think of it, there's a Raymond Childress that owns a pile of land just up the street from me. Has a big black angus operation. Nice old guy. Once bred my heffers for me. Any relation?

Honorary Bloke
20th December 2006, 09:36 AM
Come to think of it, there's a Raymond Childress that owns a pile of land just up the street from me. Has a big black angus operation. Nice old guy. Once bred my heffers for me. Any relation?

You must have me mistaken for a Kiwi :D I won't claim any relation to any man who will breed with Heifers. :eek:

In any event, I always go up 29. Culpeper is just up the road a piece from Barboursville, where I will be visiting family. If not this time, then next. ;)

Ivan in Oz
20th December 2006, 10:35 AM
Mate... I cant say two friggin words to a septic without having to go into a long translation!! :rolleyes: :p

Or have a read of
Let's Talk Strine:-
by Afferbeck Lauder. .....[ AlphaBetical Order ]
from about the mid 70s

Things like..."Egg Nishner" is an 'Airconditioner'
http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt

falcon
20th December 2006, 11:33 AM
when i had power run to my shed, i got 3 quotes $800, $1200 and $2000. I took the cheapest - was from a Grey Army sparky. I dug the trench etc, got a safety switch in the shed and at the fusebox, shed has its won fuse box too, so all good for safety.

Only thing i should have done, was run a 15amp circuit :mad: Oh well.

Shedhand
20th December 2006, 11:54 AM
Hey Wild Dingo, I was just kiddin' you when I said I didn't understand you. Clear as mud, mate. You want a picture of my tiki bar? Build one of these in your back yard. Right next to the billabong. It's always beer o'clock here. Although I prefer a nice ale over watered down Budweiser.
The next shot is a how to on how to find your wiring. I'm on Christmas holidays here and my better three quarters has been whining about not wanting a certain wall in the house. Keeps talking about how she would just like it gone. So I walk in yesterday morning with a sledge hammer and a reciprocating saw. You shoulda seen her eyes! Two hours later the wall is gone and I'm sending her for a broom and a dust bin. I got more work ahead of me patching things up and all but the wall is no more.
Maybe she'll think twice before complaining about those picture windows. One good dining room chair should handle one of those! ;) You ever get to Washington, you stop in and have a beer. We'll cook a pig. (I raise pigs and black Angus cattle, you know)
Two things wrong with the Tiki Hut mate which rules out building one here in Oz. Firstly, there's not enough water here to fill a crapper let as lone a bloody pool, and Second, because there's no water the grass don't grow so that rules at a grass hut. Looks nice though. ;)

Shedhand
20th December 2006, 11:56 AM
You must have me mistaken for a Kiwi :D I won't claim any relation to any man who will breed with Heifers. :eek:
;)That's Tasmanians...Kiwis breed with sheep.... :D

ciscokid
20th December 2006, 12:22 PM
In any event, I always go up 29. Culpeper is just up the road a piece from Barboursville, where I will be visiting family. If not this time, then next. ;)

In that case, hang a right on 3 when you get to Culpeper. You'll only be 15 minutes from me. The offers always good. Shoot me an email to let me know you're coming. Bring the family if you have little ones. I gots loads of farm animals and horses and kids always like that.

Pat
20th December 2006, 08:53 PM
Shane, just finish the wiring up of my shed. A mate who is a sparky did it for me in exchange for my labouring at his reno of his new house. I supplied the parts etc, did the labouring, he did the sparky bits.
In a 6x3m garage, 2x twin 4 footers and a single 4 footer make the entire garage bright. 3 twin "Lifesaver" power points and an Arlec 6 point daisy chain gives me juice around the shed.

32amp breaker at the house, sub board in the garage, 2x 20amp power and a 16amp light circuit. Enough for me now as I do not have any large stationery machines. If I need to upgrade later on . . . I 'll get him to help me again.:)

You won't know yourself after not having to run the power cord out to the shed, and the beer fridge is on all the time:D

dirtydeeds
29th January 2007, 09:37 AM
fair set of termites youve got cisco

keju
29th January 2007, 09:47 PM
sometimes I think the only reason I come here is to find some of shedheads postings.... his fantastic writing style's giving me lots of laughs.... even shared some with my overseas friends.... just to give them a bit of a shocktreatment! lol
Being a new ( 2 1/2 years) Aussie I've still got a lot to learn, in the meantime am having fun confusing people.... a couple of days ago one lady thought she heard italian in my accent, another said canadian...... lol
makes for great conversation starters.
Wish I could say that one day I'll sound like shedhead writes! I do hope you real Aussies are teaching your kids not to pick up American english... be such a shame.

Juvy