PDA

View Full Version : Chips ahoy!...

Malibu
18th December 2006, 09:45 AM
Ouch!
I spent the last couple of days doing recurves on the archtop. Lots of scraping, sanding and so forth. A quick coat of shellac and a bit of a sheen to check for any low/high spots in the plate and I was real happy with it.
I sanded it all back to finish up and move on to the next stage. I got down to the final w&d of 1000, wandered over to the compressor to blow off the dust and...
<<Crack!>>
The sound of Queensland Maple hitting concrete :(:eek:
My dusty fingers let slip and took a chip out of the recurve that was a little too far inside to hide with bindings. I spent the next 30 minutes on my hands and knees trying to find two pieces that had chipped away and finaly found them. Fortunately, they were clean chips and seemed to fit back in pretty well, so out with the CA and in with the chips.
Happily, it seemed to be a fairly good repair with only a slightly raised edge. I didn't sand too much in that area, but I'll triple check that spot when I'm finishing it all off. The most pronounced part of the repair should be cut away for the binding.
Clumsy, clumsy, clumsy!!!

kiwigeo
18th December 2006, 11:32 AM
Hi Malibu,

Ive done what youve done only once....after that I stuck a couple of carpets on the concrete floor around my main work area. Glad to hear you managed to rescue the work with the CA.

A little hint on dusting off prior to a finish job. After a blow off with the compressed air run a tack cloth over the surface, you'll be amazed how much extra dust you lift off with the cloth.

Cheers Martin

Malibu
18th December 2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the tips Martin... I'll bet we're all 'guilty' of something like that. I've got a few scraps of carpet laying around, hopefully it'll never be needed! I'll try the tack cloth too and I wouldn't be surprised at any dust that's left behind on the job. Compressed air is a bit of a hit-miss thing, but it suits the purpose for now. :)