PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Qu Cedar

ASM
16th June 1999, 04:42 PM
I am a complete newcomer to finishing other than applying a poly coat. I am in the process of making a mantle clock from Qu red cedar. The timber I am using is very light in clolour .... almost white/pink and obviously needs some stain. I would like the piece to be as high gloss as possible for a complete amateur but also a deep "cedar" hue. Can anybody suggest a foolproof way of achieving these objectives. (On reflection the gloss is not as important as the need for a natural looking deep reddish brown hue)

Hoping someone can put me on the right track.....

Mac Simmons
16th June 1999, 11:48 PM
Just a suggestion:
How about using Amber (Orange) Shellac, you will add "color" as you apply each coat.
You can also acheive any sheen you want with Shellac.

------------------

Mac Simmons
17th June 1999, 06:00 AM
An addendum to my suggestion:

You can apply a coat or two of the Amber (Orange) Shellac just for color.
When you feel you have the "right" color you then can go over to the Clear (Blond) Shellac and apply as many coats as it takes to get the finish you want to acheive..

------------------

Piofur
17th June 1999, 11:17 AM
Using the shellac to colour up Qld Cedar does help, but due it being a very different colour to that which we all associate cedar being. A stain will need to be applied. I regularly use a cedar stain from Croda for Qld cedar. This is close to the colour of cedar and it can be changed easily by adding primary colours or reducing the colour with reducers. Another option is to grainfill the cedar. Using a grainfillar that is close to the colour you want and latter toning ( adding colour to lacquer ) if the need applies. But as Mac suggested, using shellac will definitly help achieve what you want. As for the gloss, thats easy to achieve, its the colour thats hard. Concentrate on the colour first then worry about your gloss. Even if your finish is bad, you should be able to cut it with fine paper and then compound it to the gloss you require.
have fun!!

Cheers
Shane.