PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Tension

DPB
16th May 2003, 12:08 PM
A few months back there was a thread on bandsaw blade tensioning. It was suggested by me and others that cranking the tension up to max when cutting resulted in less blade wander thus allowing a more accurate cut.

Some challenged this idea stating that this placed too much strain on the bandsaw, possilble causing bearing wear on the wheels and flat spots on the rubber tires. The solution suggested was that after use - crank the tension back to release the strain on these parts.

The probelm is, of course, that this is not easy to remember so is often not done.

Well recently I came across a product called a Carter Quick Release 1000. This is a lever device that allows the user to simply raise the lever to place tension on the blade and lower it to remove the tension.

Although a little pricey, (US$149.00), I ordered it from Carter over the internet. http://www.carterproducts.com. Carter offer both model specific units and ones to fit generic 14" bandsaws. I own a Jet so ordered the unit for this model.

It arrived with a well illustrated installation manual. The Quick Release is machined from steel and is well desinged for the job intended. It takes about 45 minutes to disasemble the bandsaw upper guard and wheel, drill two holes through the casting of the bandsaw (with the bit provided by Carter), install the Quick Release, and re-assemble the bandsaw.

The Quick release does not override the tensioning device but works with it. So you can still set the blade tensions to whatever tension you require. The Quick Release simply removes all of the tension.

And you cannot forget that you have done so. When the Quick Release lever is in the neutral position, the knob on the end of the lever, which is red, sits right behind the blade on the table where it is planly visible and must be engaged to remove it from the table and re-engage the tension set.

A great product that I highly recommend and hope some local dealer/distributor promotes.:)

(Actually there is a dealer in Qld., but two telephone calls from me to inquire resulted in no joy. The sales person had never heard of the product but promised to get back to me twice. I am still waiting.)

Wayne Davy
16th May 2003, 02:35 PM
Had a look at the site - neat little attachment. Did you see their Blade Guide replacements?

http://www.carterproducts.com./product/guide/stabilizer.htm

They also looked quite interesting.

DPB
16th May 2003, 03:58 PM
I did, and was prepared to purchase same until I read a review on the Net (don't recall where) that said that although they are the premium guides on the market, it is questionalble whether they are worth the premium in cost in terms of actual performance.

Secondly, apparently the installation is not easy and the installation instructions are poor. So that changed my mind.:(