PDA

View Full Version : Turning Cutlery Handles

ianmcdougall
20th December 2006, 11:25 AM
Hi All Woodturners,

I have been reading your posts for sometime now and decided to join the forum as a result of the excellent advice provided.

I have a question re fitting of cutlery handles, how are the turned handles secured to the shaft of the piece?

Thanks for your help.

Ian :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th December 2006, 12:21 PM
I have a question re fitting of cutlery handles, how are the turned handles secured to the shaft of the piece?

By shaft, I assume you mean 'tis a round tang? I just drill and glue with epoxy.

hughie
20th December 2006, 01:52 PM
By shaft, I assume you mean 'tis a round tang? I just drill and glue with epoxy

Yep thats what I do. In fact I do it to my turning tools so you've got no worries about it holding.Round, square, rectangle what ever the epoxy will hold just fine

Touchwood
24th December 2006, 10:51 PM
Yep, I use yellow glue for cutlery type stuff, but black 2 part araldite for turning tool handles.

When doing cutlery I stand the drying pieces, blade up, in rolled up exercise bandages that I use on the horses. They are made from polar fleece so very soft, about 15cm in diameter when rolled and have lots of layers meaning you can have many drying in different layers at the same time!

JD

Calm
26th December 2006, 07:33 PM
If the cutlery has a flat piece larger than the shaft you can use a ground down hacksaw blade or jig saw blade to cut grooves for the "wings" to fit into, preventing them turning.

That should be Handles not anles, must be christmas or somethng

soundman
26th December 2006, 10:29 PM
I friction fit them.... like I would any other too handle......undersize hole & hit em with a hammer :D

I can see that some epoxy would be helpfull in keeping washing up water out of the works.

cheers