PDA

View Full Version : How do I attach a peg board to brick?

Jac
20th December 2006, 03:45 PM
Not sure if this topic goes in this section but it's to do with a workshop so...

Just wondered what's the best way to put peg board up. I'm guessing I have to attach it via a frame or something but how do I attach it to the brick? And do I put the frame up first or attach the frame to the peg board then put it up?

Thanx

Tex B
20th December 2006, 04:00 PM
Use a masonry bit and a hammer drill to drill a hole in the brick. Stick one of those plastic things from Bunnings in the hole, and screw into the plastic thing. They sell them by the thousands, usually near the dynabolts.

From there, your choices are legion. Screw in two hooks and put the pegboard on the hooks. Screw the frame to the brick. etc etc.

Tex

Barry_White
20th December 2006, 08:05 PM
Use a masonry bit and a hammer drill to drill a hole in the brick. Stick one of those plastic things from Bunnings in the hole, and screw into the plastic thing. They sell them by the thousands, usually near the dynabolts.

From there, your choices are legion. Screw in two hooks and put the pegboard on the hooks. Screw the frame to the brick. etc etc.

Tex

They are called Nylon Anchors.

But I would tend to batten the brickwork with 2 x 1 using longer Nylon Anchors and then screw the pegboard to the battens.

This will allow you to use peg board hooks on the pegboard. (Pegboard Clips are cheap as chips at The Warehouse.

Ashore
20th December 2006, 10:21 PM
Sorry but someones got to do it :D

use pegs

Jac
20th December 2006, 10:24 PM
They are called Nylon Anchors.

But I would tend to batten the brickwork with 2 x 1 using longer Nylon Anchors and then screw the pegboard to the battens.

This will allow you to use peg board hooks on the pegboard. (Pegboard Clips are cheap as chips at The Warehouse.

O.k, thanx,sounds good!!!

Cheers!!!

Ashore
22nd December 2006, 10:57 PM
Picture as asked sorry for the delay , use angle brackets to brickwork with nylon rawl plugs using a maconary drill bit to suit , build a frame around the edge of the peg board and hinge to the section you fasten to the bricks this allows you to use both sides of the peg board a huge advantage, make sure its well clear of any benches under it so you can swing it open without having to clear your bench first.
Another tip is to use a hot glue gun to stick the hooks you use to the peg board .

Rgds

Russell

inflex
23rd December 2006, 08:42 AM
advantage, make sure its well clear of any benches under it so you can swing it open without having to clear your bench first.

It's an interesting idea - but I worry about what happens when you swing that board around and it's full of heavy tools, isn't there a bit of a risk that the tools could 'fly off'
?

Otherwise, I think it's a good idea - I'll probably use it for other things in my shed :)

Paul.

Ashore
24th December 2006, 11:45 AM
Paul I don't tend to put heavy tools on my peg board , hand saws , pliers, spanners, etc and you don't swing it open at any speed so no problems so far, if you are worried about the hinges a piano hinge gives extra strength,;)

Rgds

doug1
25th December 2006, 09:56 PM
When I've mounted peg board I have used usually green wall plugs 1/4 inch (6mm) and then spaced board from wall by about 12mm with scrap blocks with a hole through them and held with a number of reasonable length screws. These blocks are needed for the pegboard hooks to hook in behind the sheet

mat
29th December 2006, 01:07 PM
I find that most of the hooks tend to drop out of pegboards when items are removed. Their weighting tends to rotate the hook 180 degrees and then they drop out. I have resorted to using the prong type to get around this problem but they take up more space and are around $1 each

Any alternative hooks available out there other than Zenith brand and other cheapies on the market?

Barry_White
29th December 2006, 01:30 PM
I find that most of the hooks tend to drop out of pegboards when items are removed. Their weighting tends to rotate the hook 180 degrees and then they drop out. I have resorted to using the prong type to get around this problem but they take up more space and are around $1 each

Any alternative hooks available out there other than Zenith brand and other cheapies on the market?

These are the ones that I got from The Warehouse. The beauty with these ones they have another pin that locks the single ones so that they don't spin around and they are cheap and well made. There are ten different types in the pack with a total of 32 in the pack.

http://www.thewarehouse.com.au/

mat
29th December 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks bazza, I'll check them out.

Mat

Ashore
29th December 2006, 03:37 PM

Hot glue gun a bit on each peg helps keep them in place :roll:

Rgds

Tiger
30th December 2006, 07:05 AM
Was just about to say try hot melt glue. This is what I use and it has worked for a number of years.

ernknot
30th December 2006, 09:55 PM
These are the ones that I got from The Warehouse. The beauty with these ones they have another pin that locks the single ones so that they don't spin around and they are cheap and well made. There are ten different types in the pack with a total of 32 in the pack.

http://www.thewarehouse.com.au/
Does Bunnings have them? I am looking for some as well. We don't have The Warehouse here in Tas.

Jac
1st January 2007, 11:41 AM
Does Bunnings have them? I am looking for some as well. We don't have The Warehouse here in Tas.

I bought a similar pack the other day at Bunnings but was like around $13 or so, & alot of them I don't know what to put on them....

But anyways, I got my pegboard up,here's some pictures...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/arts216/000_0002Small.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/arts216/000_0003Small.jpg

Jac
1st January 2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry but someones got to do it :D

use pegs

What do these Pegs look like?