PDA

View Full Version : Dining Chairs - Finally FINISHED

MajorPanic
21st December 2006, 10:24 PM
Well......... Thank God for that!!

I didn't think they would take soooo long. Overall I'm quite pleased with the end result & SWMBO is chuffed they are ready for the family Xmas gathering. :cool:

Anyway here is the first look at the finished chairs, I'll do some better pictures a little later.

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/BB/D_Chair_7.jpg

Gumby
21st December 2006, 10:36 PM
you must have the patience of a saint. :)

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2006, 10:42 PM
They look very nice Major, you must be quite pleased with yourself.

scooter
21st December 2006, 11:07 PM
Great work, Major :)

Plenty of brownie points there ;) :D

martrix
21st December 2006, 11:13 PM
top job Majhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif.

To finish 8 chairs like that takes some real effort and skill.......now hurry up cos the dining table needs to be done by New years Eve!:D

Shedhand
21st December 2006, 11:15 PM
Major Sir, you've excelled. I paid 250 bucks each for custom made Tas Oak and Leather chairs 10 years ago and they don't look anywhere as good as your effort. In fact I've had to repair the joints in the legs of 3 of mine.
Fantastic work mate. SWMBO must be ecstatic.

We salute you sir.

Wood Borer
22nd December 2006, 12:08 AM
Great looking chairs Major, thanks for sharing them with us.

Wongo
22nd December 2006, 06:13 AM
Wow!

TEEJAY
22nd December 2006, 06:43 AM
They look wonderful Major.

I do like the colours used too.

I should drop around with my 2yo to help you give them that special loved finish he is giving everything in our house - including the poor little dogs :p

You have another reason to celebrate this holiday - I am sure you will get many years treasured service from them.

Is the covering a suade or material?

Flowboy
22nd December 2006, 06:55 AM
They're beautiful Major, beautiful.:cool: :cool:

Chistmas Fishes

Rob

zenwood
22nd December 2006, 07:22 AM
Quality and quantity! Great stuff Major. The contrasting back slats look good, and the cushions match well.

Al B
22nd December 2006, 07:27 AM
Chairs look awsome Major, you have done a fantastic job. Well done.

Wood Butcher
22nd December 2006, 07:36 AM
Nice to see them finally finished Major.

Now to start on the table :p

dan_tom
22nd December 2006, 07:39 AM
Absolutely Fantastic! :D :D :D
Enjoy marking that one off the list... but what is next?
Have a great Christmas.
Cheers
Tom

TassieKiwi
22nd December 2006, 07:51 AM
Wow. Oh, and....wow! Be proud.

jmk89
22nd December 2006, 07:56 AM
Major

You have set a standard for most of the rest of us to try to emulate (little chance in my case).

One question. What made you choose the high, narrow back style - it looks a bit '80's to me? (SWMBO bought a dining setting in the '80's with similar chairs)

Well done

Jeremy

AlexS
22nd December 2006, 08:28 AM
Fantastic set of chairs, Major. They look formal yet comfortable, and certainly have style. Thanks for sharing the journey with us, & I'm sure your family will enjoy them for many years.

mic-d
22nd December 2006, 08:59 AM
Nice work Maj, as usual. And you tell me I don't do things by halves!:p

Cheers
Michael

bitingmidge
22nd December 2006, 09:03 AM
On the midge scale of delayed completion, you only score 3 out of ten!

I guess, the 11/10 you get for quality, comfort and finish will make up for that eh?

We'd sit on 'em anytime... now about that workbench........

Cheers,

P
:D

Tex B
22nd December 2006, 09:33 AM
Very nice Major. You've done well.

And years from now, no one will remember how long it took, just how fantastic they are.

Tex

RufflyRustic
22nd December 2006, 09:42 AM
Congratulations Major! They are very beautiful and if the first was anything to go by, I'm sure they will be extremely comfortable.

Cheers
Wendy

Doughboy
22nd December 2006, 09:47 AM
Blimey they are fantastic!

Well done mate time for a rest!!!!!!!

Pete

underused
22nd December 2006, 02:48 PM
Just in time eh!
They look fantastic!

Auld Bassoon
22nd December 2006, 03:14 PM
Absolutely stunnibg work, once again Major!

MajorPanic
22nd December 2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks all for your positive comments. As I said I'm quite pleased with the end product & more importantly so is SWMBO :p
top job Majhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif.
To finish 8 chairs like that takes some real effort and skill.......now hurry up cos the dining table needs to be done by New years Eve!:DThanks martrix!

The table is well advanced in the design stage (read; settled on a design) ;) :D but...... It won't be ready by NYE, that's for sure!
I should drop around with my 2yo to help you give them that special loved finish....Thanks for your kind offer, but I'll think I'll pass as I can see you need that special loved finish more than I do! ;) :rolleyes:
One question. What made you choose the high, narrow back style -Hey Jeremy,
I'm of the opinion that fine looking tall chairs are very elegant & they will go well in the room where they will live.
We'd sit on 'em anytime... now about that workbench........The bench is being pushed further & further down the list, Peter! :mad: :mad: :mad: Found out it was the next door neighbour who complained about the noise. So I'll be doing some acoustic insulation next (including a couple of workshop cabinets), then the table, followed by an entertainment unit...:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

& here's a small piece of advice...... DON'T MAKE 8 DINING CHAIRS WHEN 4 WOULD BE ENOUGH!!

Harry72
22nd December 2006, 08:18 PM
Top notch Maj... now how bout some details on this table!

MajorPanic
22nd December 2006, 08:35 PM
G'day Harry,

I think I'll keep it under wraps just now, but I can say I'm after some 75mm sq Black Wattle & I'm gonna have to build a couple more bent lamination forms for the Silver Ash accents. Oh, & it'll be 'different' ;)

DPB
22nd December 2006, 09:20 PM
To quote you, "Bloody Hell, Major!"

I've silently watched this project progress from the beginning without any comment. Lost for words I am. All I can say is top job, Major, and bloody hell! :)

Greeny on its way.

jmk89
22nd December 2006, 09:23 PM
Hey Jeremy,
I'm of the opinion that fine looking tall chairs are very elegant & they will go well in the room where they will live.

No criticism, Major. Just curious as to your thinking. I agree with the height issue and if they go well in the room where they will live, then that is a complete answer.

Shedgirl
22nd December 2006, 09:29 PM
I'm mega-impressed. Bet you are going to get a special Christmas prez for being so good this year!

BTW, I like the tall, slender shape very much; in fact, I think it is one which won't really date because elegance is always stylish.

jacko
22nd December 2006, 10:43 PM
Major, A major work to be sure! Wonderful mix of colours. Styling looks classical and timeless. I enjoyed the journey. I don't know that i would ever have the patience to embark on a project/journey where I have to make 8 of the same! I feel that my quality would improve from #1 to #3 and then go downhill as boredom set in and errors multiplied like mushrooms! Congratulations on all points, styling, finish, construction and choice of materials.
Jacko

StanlyM
23rd December 2006, 02:04 AM
Major

You have set a standard for most of the rest of us to try to emulate (little chance in my case).

One question. What made you choose the high, narrow back style - it looks a bit '80's to me? (SWMBO bought a dining setting in the '80's with similar chairs)

Well done

Jeremy

Jeremy for the definitive answer to your question you will need to direct your enquiry to Neil Erasmus at the Australian School of Fine Furniture here at UTAS, as he is the gentleman who originally designed these chairs and i know he would be more than happy to discuss the design merits.

Stanly.

Ps, Neil named them the "Mantis" chairs on account of the praying mantis imagery that is invoked by the high back and wide slender tapered legs. Beautifull design.

jmk89
23rd December 2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the lead Stanly. If I ever feel tempted to take this further, I will contact Neil.
Jeremy

Hickory
23rd December 2006, 01:12 PM
Add what the rest said to my comments and then invite me for dinner so that I might enjoy the fruits of your labor. I am impressed, I fell in love, I are a mess as I have drooled all over myself, and I may have made a wet spot in my drawers from looking at you fine work.

Here is a greenie:D

Cliff Rogers
23rd December 2006, 01:27 PM
Top job Major.

ryanarcher
23rd December 2006, 06:26 PM
well done my brother. you are an inspiration.

_ryan ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2006, 07:28 PM
There's one problem with your chairs: now you'll have to build an 8-seater dining table, buffet, dresser & hutch and all the other "matching accessories..." :eek:

So, when are you starting? :D

MajorPanic
23rd December 2006, 08:01 PM
There's one problem with your chairs: now you'll have to build an 8-seater dining table, buffet, dresser & hutch and all the other "matching accessories..." :eek:

So, when are you starting? :DTable is well in hand.... well, the design anyway :o Gotta make 3 breakfast bar stools that will match :eek:

Dunno about the buffet, dresser & hutch though............ nah, I think I'll pass on those! ;) :D :D :D

ptc
24th December 2006, 09:52 AM
Fantastic !

Peter36
27th December 2006, 10:30 PM
Belated congrats Major . Great result but they will certainlt look better placed around a matching table . You got a good selection of wattle for the chairs http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
Peter

mics_triton
30th December 2006, 02:14 PM
Outstanding Work .....

Wardy
30th December 2006, 04:50 PM
you're a bloody marvel major :) that's craftsmanship at its best. well done :2tsup:

outback
30th December 2006, 06:00 PM
OK, I'll say it, no one else seems game enough.

Are they supposed to all look the same?

:clap::clap2::clap:

Well done Major, inspiring work, from a true artisan.

Evan Pavlidis
31st December 2006, 04:13 AM
Excellent work Major; nice contrasting timbers with good design pleasing to the eye. You're an inspiration :2tsup: .

Cheers,
Evan

MajorPanic
31st December 2006, 10:47 PM
OK, I'll say it, no one else seems game enough.

Are they supposed to all look the same?

Well............ only if you want them to be............ & are legally blind :rolleyes: