PDA

View Full Version : Goblet #3

Doc Ron
22nd December 2006, 05:58 AM
Got excited awhile back when folks were discussing goblets in this forum, so I set to work on a piece of mystery wood (some kind of soft maple, I think).
Size is 15 cm (6 in) high by 6.7 cm (2.5 in) at the widest. Finished with sanding sealer and lots of coats of poly (I plan to drink out of it eventually).
I finished it up the day BEFORE Skewy posted his excellent tutorial on the matter. Gee, could I ever have learned something :( .
Things I like - saved some of the bark (copious use of CA)- stuff turned beautifully - the shape of the cup portion - sized just right for a glass of wine - overall proportion, some nice chatoyance.
Things I don't like - Stem way too thick, was afraid of the old demon chatter. Got some ridges and tool marks inside and out, the aforesaid chatter (flexing).
Overall, it was a better effort than my first two (take my word for it :rolleyes: )

SawDustSniffer
22nd December 2006, 05:43 PM
yes know what you mean , about chatter and rough inside's ,
my first and only goblit was that "rose" that im inlaying feathers on ( old post ,off the main page ) ps ( still going and saving photo's as i go will drag "inlaying with feathers" back up soon ) the second jumped out the lathe and went walk about ( found it with the ride on mower ):mad:

the thickness of the stem is just about how brave you are , a motor bike helment and pellow under your shirt helps :D

you should post your picks of your fist 2 it helps the newbie's like me feal better when we make a flop

well done ,and keep going untill you think its perfect ( not others ) it's a hobbie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd December 2006, 06:00 PM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gif Any goblet that survives long enough to be used is a good one. :D

No matter how many you turn, you'll always think "I'll do better on the next." [sigh] I still haven't mastered avoiding chatter and rough spots... but they do get easier to hide with practice. ;)

TTIT
23rd December 2006, 12:20 AM
Once you get the hang of it and your confidence grows, you might find yourself throwing the ones you're not happy with back on the lathe for makeover. I re-did quite a few of my early pieces rather than dump or hide them! :o:D Great effort regardless Ron and if it's an improvement on your first attempts, it's all good!

rodent
30th December 2006, 04:48 AM
Remember the first its never the worst .just remember its still jot too be fun. good job well done id call it a stien not a goblet a stiens a serious drinking cup.

tashammer
30th December 2006, 08:33 AM
more like a Wassail mug than a stein (which tend to have handles).

Wayne Blanch
30th December 2006, 12:59 PM
Once you get the hang of it and your confidence grows, you might find yourself throwing the ones you're not happy with back on the lathe for makeover. I re-did quite a few of my early pieces rather than dump or hide them! :o:D Great effort regardless Ron and if it's an improvement on your first attempts, it's all good!

I've got to say that I have re-done quite a few of my less attractive pieces. I also use quite a lot of really ugly bowls:aargh: and lidded containers to hold my little bits n pieces in the shed.

:2tsup: Doc, you should be pleased with the result, the bark adds a nice contrast and you did well to keep it. Somtimes it can be really difficult to hang onto.

Have fun
Wayne