PDA

View Full Version : GMC Thicknesser blades

iron bark
22nd December 2006, 04:44 PM
I am very new to this site, and have found a lot of info on GMC thicknessers, but none specific to my question.

Has anybody bought new blades other than GMC, what brand were they, and can you get TC blades which will fit this machine.

As my user name suggests, I work a lot with old well seasoned ironbark.

Would very much appreciate any good/bad experiences with blade replacements

Cheers and a Merry Xmas

Ned

Daddles
22nd December 2006, 06:22 PM
How on earth do you WORK with old, well seasoned, ironbark. My only experiences with the stuff was fresh (still growing) and the chainsaw blade gave up just brushing the bark off.

Oh, I know now, you've got a metal lathe and a lot of time :D

Richard

sorry, can't help with your question

iron bark
22nd December 2006, 06:29 PM
Richard,

With sharp tools and a bit of patience it is OK to work. You just can't do simple things like drive nails into it and the like. ie drill and screw/bolt if you have to.

The finished product is very hard with a beautiful finish

Cheers,
Ned

Gumby
22nd December 2006, 08:13 PM
Make sure it's nice and dry. I made a small side table out of an iron bark slab once. It turned into a lovely bowl. :D
On the bright side, you could spill a whole glass of wine on it and not one drop would hit the floor.

soundman
22nd December 2006, 11:28 PM
Have you tried drilling and tapping ironbark:D works a treat across the grain.

cheers

echnidna
22nd December 2006, 11:54 PM
Drilling seasoned ironbark in a drill press with new 1/2" bit.
Heaps of smoke ( no burning of timber evident)
Like drilling through a lump of steel.

Pat
23rd December 2006, 07:02 AM
Bob, you got to treat it with the respect/contempt it deserves. Drill pilot holes, cut very slowly with new sharp blades etc and still swear at it:D

iron bark
23rd December 2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the interesting comments, chaps, but I really would like to know of any good/bad experiences with replacement thicknesser blades for the GMC thicknesser.

Out of interest I made a 10'x3' outdoor table recently - came up a treat (all ironbark) - only trouble is I can barely move it, let alone lift it.

Merry Xmas to all

Ned

Dangermouse
23rd December 2006, 11:11 AM
Ironbark, I've got a Ryobi that I'm pretty sure is the same basic machine as the GMC. The blades are double sided and intended to be disposable. When they get blunt, take them out, flip them around and they've got a new cutting edge.

I got some replacements from Bunnings a few months ago for $40, as the old ones made fairly poor metal detectors :rolleyes: .

Barry_White
23rd December 2006, 12:15 PM
If the blades are 82mm you buy the kit which has the two special blade mounting plates and two double sided blades. You just take the original blades out and store them to become an antique and insert the the new mounting plates along with blades.

Can't remember the brand but they came on a cardbord hanger with a plastic stick on cover and I got them at Bunnings. After you buy the kit you can then just buy the replacement blades separately.

Beats getting them sharpened and being TC would be much better on the Ironbark.

iron bark
23rd December 2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks Bazza,
I already have the TC conversion for my planer (Makita 82mm), but am after info/experiences with thicknesser blades, ie.319mmx18.2mmx3.2mm are in the GMC as suplied. Advice from Carba-tec indicated their clone 12.5" thicknesser had wider blades than GMC. Can anybody with a Ryobi or Carba-tec chinese clones confirm those sizes??

Cheers,

Ned

Barry_White
23rd December 2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks Bazza,
I already have the TC conversion for my planer (Makita 82mm), but am after info/experiences with thicknesser blades, ie.319mmx18.2mmx3.2mm are in the GMC as suplied. Advice from Carba-tec indicated their clone 12.5" thicknesser had wider blades than GMC. Can anybody with a Ryobi or Carba-tec chinese clones confirm those sizes??

Cheers,

Ned

Sorry I misread the post.

echnidna
23rd December 2006, 12:59 PM
Most Saw Services have or can get planer blades in various types of steel so give your yellow pages a try

iron bark
23rd December 2006, 01:00 PM
Ironbark, I've got a Ryobi that I'm pretty sure is the same basic machine as the GMC. The blades are double sided and intended to be disposable. When they get blunt, take them out, flip them around and they've got a new cutting edge.

I got some replacements from Bunnings a few months ago for $40, as the old ones made fairly poor metal detectors :rolleyes: .

Dangermouse,

I don't suppose you can give me the actual blade dimensions for the Ryobi without dismantling the machine by any chance.

Dangermouse
23rd December 2006, 06:29 PM
I don't suppose you can give me the actual blade dimensions for the Ryobi without dismantling the machine by any chance.
No probs, the blades are 318mm long and 18mm wide. According to my spare pack, it's ryobi part # AP13/20, high speed steel blades. Are these the same dimensions as the GMC?

workgoose
23rd December 2006, 09:47 PM
I have been using my Ryobi thicknesser with the original blades for about 18 months now, used them to strip paint and other crud off some very old (50 yrs+) blackbean boards, I have had them re-sharpened a couple of times and they are still in excellent working order, very happy with the machine, especially considering the price. The sharpening service I take them to gives them a nice hollow-ground finish. I believe Carbatec is also selling replacements to suit.

iron bark
23rd December 2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks dangermouse, sounds like they will do the job (GMC spec is 319x18.2x3.2)

Workgoose, thank you for the good oil - were they hollow ground originally, or is that the way to go down the track with sharpening?

cheers,

Ned

Harry72
24th December 2006, 07:51 AM
There's no reason that standard 19mm blade stock wont fit if they are not the disposable type.

workgoose
24th December 2006, 11:54 AM
iron bark, I don't think they were hollow ground originally, but I do know that they are now a lot sharper then when first bought with the machine. My saw doctor also tells me than he can easily get new ones if required, so they must be reasonably easy to find.

iron bark
24th December 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks workgoose, the information is much appreciated

Have a good safe Xmas

Ned

lesmeyer
24th December 2006, 06:55 PM
Make sure it's nice and dry. I made a small side table out of an iron bark slab once. It turned into a lovely bowl. :D
On the bright side, you could spill a whole glass of wine on it and not one drop would hit the floor.
Tsk, tsk.. Waste not want not. The sacrilege of pouring wine out to waste.
Bad man - bad man :D
Must have been your birthday :D.
Les
Ps Merry Christmas Gumby and to everyone else.

droog
26th December 2006, 07:28 PM
Hi Guys, been lurking around the forum for quite a while now but never got round to posting until now so I hope this works.

I to have a GMC thicknesser and bought a set of the Carbatec 12.5" tungsten blades, when I first saw this post I began to think maybe they would not fit.
Got around to fitting them today they fit perfectly in the GMC they are only single sided unlike the GMC originals but I hope they last a bit longer on the hard stuff.

Cheers
Dave

iron bark
27th December 2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks droog,

At least I now know the Carba-tec blades will fit.

Out of interest did you ever have the originals sharpened and was it successful??

Cheers, Ned