PDA

View Full Version : Table Saws / Systems

Darwin
19th May 2003, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I am in the phase of getting more serious about woodworking, and need to invest in a simple table saw or similar. My budget is extremely limited, so I am looking at table saws and similar for under $1000, which severely limits my choices.

My requirements are tilting blade (so cutting out the Triton table), good power, accuracy (so good fence), dust extraction and solid base/table.

The options as I see them at present are:
-Sherwood 10" bench saw for
-Carba-Tec 10" similar to above
-Delta 10" bench saw

Or spend a bit more on the 'Torquada' system from Timbecon and put a circular saw in it. This is more expensive, but has a good fence and I can drop a router insert in too.

There may be others.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions of the above or others around the same price ($400-500 for basic unit)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Darren
Sydney

kenmil
19th May 2003, 05:10 PM
Darren,

You might need to quote model numbers for anyone to give you feedback. For instance, which Carbatec saw are you referring to, and where have you seen a Delta for under $1,000 ?
The new Torquata looks alright (in the catalogue), and it has dust extraction, cast iron wings, proper mitre gauge slots and tilting blade for the same price range as a Triton. Definitely worth a look for the price.

Darwin
19th May 2003, 05:54 PM
Hi,

Thanks Ken - as per your request (I'm new at this!) the models I am looking at are as follows:

Sherwood 10" bench saw in Timbecon catalogue (MTLG-250, $399) - or at a financial stretch their 10" Table Saw (MJ-2325, $939).

Delta 10" Bench Saw in Timbecon catalogue (DE-36545, $499)

The Carba-Tec one I can't find online but it's in their new catalogue and was $399 or $499 and looks a lot like the Sherwood one (probably the same).

Torquata 'Wood Working Station' - there's only one for $399 + $149 for a decent fence, although I'm inclined to go with one of the above 'proper' saws as they'd be quieter and hopefully more accurate as one unit, although the fence looks more substantial than some. Comes to around $800-900 once you add a good circular saw though.

I do a lot of hand tool work, but want to dimension my own timber, nothing too heavy duty, no large panels forseen at this stage - I want something that will last a few years until we move back into our own place (we're renting interstate).

Or should I just get a bandsaw??

Thanks for any advice!

Darren

kenmil
19th May 2003, 06:17 PM
Darren,

The 2003 Timbecon catalogue shows the MTLG-250 as $379, and their MJ-2325 is now $899. Nice to see some things get cheaper sometimes.:) The Delta does not appear in the current catalogue, and that's a pity, because if I was in your position, that's the one I would go for, though dust collection needs to be checked out. I have a Delta mortiser and I am very impressed with their stuff. (I like Jet too) I can't comment on the Carbatec saw as I don't shop there.

My comments on the Torquata were really based on your mention of a Triton, and I see it as direct competition to the Triton product. There is no doubt a circular saw clamped under a bench will be noisier, which is one of the reasons why I sold my Triton and bought a Jet cabinet saw.

As for Band saws, I have never had one, so I am in the same position as you, in that I am looking for advice and considering options.

Anyway, if I were you, I would look closely at the Delta, and then the MTLG-250, which does have dust collection capabilities, though I don't know how good. Of course, you have to factor in the freight to Sydney too. Good luck.;)

BobR
23rd July 2004, 10:55 PM
This is a good time for me to present a question that I was going to put to the forum. I have read in a number of magazines and woodworking book that I have that a band saw should be considered as one's first saw. These were all written by professional woodworkers. In fact one author only has a band saw as his main cutting tool and produces fine furniture. Comments please.

bitingmidge
23rd July 2004, 11:44 PM
This is a good time for me to present a question that I was going to put to the forum. I have read in a number of magazines and woodworking book that I have that a band saw should be considered as one's first saw. These were all written by professional woodworkers. In fact one author only has a band saw as his main cutting tool and produces fine furniture. Comments please.

I must admit I'm liking my bandsaw more and more, but they are two different tools.

The bandsaw is better at cutting curves :D, and re-sawing. Wins hands down on those two things, and I am using it for docking small pieces more than I used to. For cutting turning blanks, there is no better tool.

The table saw is better at doing everything else, and with a few jigs is a pretty effective machine.

If I could only have one, the table saw would probably be it, but once you've had the luxury of both.......

Cheers,
P

GeoffS
24th July 2004, 12:50 PM
A band saw is an option particularly if you own an SCMS. I have both of those and a Triton. I'm amazed at how little use the Triton gets since aquiring the BS late last year. For small work pieces it wins every time - you can safely put your fingers a lot closer (not TOO close!!). The SCMS long ago replaced the Triton's crosscut mode - apart from ease of use you can actually see what your doing. The only reason I keep the Triton is that I have the large extension table and the equivalent in table/cabinet saws is expensive. Also the Triton is portable which is one of my requirements.
It all comes down to your own specific requirements, but of course, requirements change over time. Guessing the future is the most difficult part of buying tools.
Do think about the BS - it maybe a good option.
Cheers

GregLee
24th July 2004, 11:20 PM
Hi Darwin,

Stay away from the very bottom end table saws the quality leaves very much to be desired.

Also, as you're in Sydney like me and you are probably also looking to be able to get real walk into the shop after sale service. Then you probably need to restrict yourself to Sydney dealers.

Carbatec at Auburn, Hare & Forbes at Northmead and MWE at Padstow. The best real tablesaw choices would be the ST-10SD from Hare & Forbes at Parramatta for $995. This saw has good dust collection and a small sliding table. Carbatec also sell a model of this saw called the CS-10ST for the same price although Hare & Forbes include a blade with theirs.

Another option would be a Jet Supersaw from MWE for $1700, $1995 with sliding table. This is a stunner of a saw and my personal favourite. MWE are also great people to deal with and will probably deliver and set the saw up for you.

There are also other saws available such as the TSC-10HB cabinet saw from Carba-Tec. However, you would need a dedicated 15Amp circuit for this saw as it is rated at 3HP. Again Hare & Forbes sell a version of this saw also.

If you are really keen on buying from interstate then look for quality machines only such as Jet or Delta. Have a look at the Jet contractor saw from Gary Pye Woodworking for $1039. Only problem with dealing interstate is the price of freight charges for heavy machines. A 100+ kg saw from interstate is going to cost you $70+ for delivery.

Hope I haven't confused you too much. Best of luck with the saw purchase.

Bruce Micheal
25th July 2004, 10:03 PM
I bought a 10" table saw off Carbatec last month (CT250) for a bit over $700.00 (it was at at a Ag show, Farm Fest to be exact for those who know it). It has all the features of most of the higher priced saws, side table extensions, tilt, rise, dust extraction, very accurate fence with micro adjustment but most of all the blade has less than .5mm end play on the motor rotor. Most of the table saws I have seen have end play anywhere from 1mm to 4 mm. it's fairly difficult to try accurate cuts etc with the blade moving from side to side anywhere up to 4mm.
Hope this helps. ;)