PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Gil Jones
24th December 2006, 01:07 PM
Bunny and I wish all of the fine folks here a Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New year!!!

lubbing5cherubs
24th December 2006, 01:18 PM
Merry Xmas back to you. YOu been a good boy so santa can come to you tonight??
Toni

Gil Jones
24th December 2006, 02:13 PM
Yep, been good:D :) :)
Maybe Santa will bring us boxes of cool wood;)

rsser
24th December 2006, 02:34 PM
Ditto Gil, Toni and all my pissant mates on the forum ;-}

Sorry to hear Hickory that you can't make dust. My missus is only too happy to see me out in the shed.

Al, you've dispelled my automatic scepticism about yanks and forums. Thanks.

TTIT, looking forward to pics of the Stubby. Your lump of Gidgee is the heaviest piece I've turned on mine and the waffle mat under the base got a good workout last night. Thanks for this .. and any tips about checking would be welcome. Thought I was going slow but maybe not.

Hughie gets the Golden Globe award in my view for generous responses to questions on the forum and for mastery of the dub dub dub.

Skew also and especially for informed responses above and beyond the call of duty and for a fine line in self-deprecating humour.

Santa should seriously rain pressies on ptc for his generosity but if that doesn't happen then some more shortbread will be on its way from the mainland Peter.

, you're a man of few words here but they're always good ones. Thanks.

Jim, ditto. CWS is a great support for addicted woodies.

Cliff, I always appreciate your posts, and the next one has to be how you manage not to age; your avatar still shows a fine youthful face with a nice touch of savoir faire.

And thanks to Neil and Ubeaut: champions in hosting and innovation. (and btw, where's my order for 2" velcro sanding discs??)

That's it before I get too soppy; I know what I don't know (thanks Donald, your great contribution to the new world order) and that is that I haven't expressed appreciation adequately and to all who've been generous in their public and private posts that have helped, amused and outraged me.

Have a good one folks!

RETIRED
24th December 2006, 05:40 PM
Thank you Ern.

I too would like to wish all that contribute to this particular Forum a very Merry Christmas and a safe, fruitful New Year in all your endeavours.

SawDustSniffer
24th December 2006, 06:57 PM
merry xmas and safe newyear to all

Santa is here
first one to clame this ( reply " I'LL HAVE IT " below ) will recive it by mail early next year ( i'll pay the post ):D

its a 300x300x100 cruch edge cut "african Mohogany " one side has hartwood the other is sap wood
it's green , chainsaw finnished ,polystirine end sealed
blocked yesterday
i wet it down for the pic

ps it's the top one , the bottom one's mine :eek:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2006, 07:07 PM
first one to clame this ( reply " I'LL HAVE IT " below ) will recive it by mail early next year ( i'll pay the post ):D

Does this count? :D:D

I think you have the pictures upside down. ;):p The bottom piece is bluidy lubberly! Wow! Here's hoping the drying gods are kind to you and that the cured blank looks as good in a few years time!

SawDustSniffer
24th December 2006, 07:15 PM
could not have gone to a nicer bloke , well done Skew, just PM me your adress and i'll send it off wednesday morning

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2006, 07:21 PM
You're serious? :eek: I thought you were just yanking our chains. My apologies. :o That's a seriously nice offer, good onya bloke!

You may change your mind when you see where I am; the postage will be a killer. :( I won't hold it against you if you change your mind and decide to add a "Northern states only" type of condition on your offer. ;)

ss_11000
24th December 2006, 07:22 PM
merry christmas to all.

good on ya saw dust. you are a good bloke:cool:

Groggy
24th December 2006, 07:27 PM
Nice one Sawdust! Merry Christmas!

SawDustSniffer
24th December 2006, 07:42 PM

Santa is here
Australian adress only ( includes tasmaina )

its a 300x300x100 cruch edge cut "african Mohogany "
blocked yesterday it has a stain ( black ) in one corner ?? (i'll hit it with clorine / bleach before shipping )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2006, 07:44 PM
Awww, shucks. It's getting close to that time, how can I resist?

Warm, fuzzy feelings to you all! :D

(NB: Religious implications and commercial overtones not included in this offer.)

SawDustSniffer
24th December 2006, 08:00 PM
the timber curing gods are good up here in darwin , 3months of high humidity then 6 months of Dry ,10% humidity always +30c
just have to block it all just before the WET and keep it out of the weather

LOL behind the camera i have 6 more big ones to block up ,and on the palet behind is a cubic meter finnished ( and thats this weeks mad blocking efort ) have about 3 qubic meters of African Mohogany stashed on palets and in 44's with water ( there's still 5m^3 at the dump ), cant resist grabing whatever timber that ends up at the dump before it splits , hope no more mahogany turnes up ,i might have to leave it alone to crack and go to waste,there chopping all the big mahogany's down because thay fall over in cyclones ,pity there butiful trees

Wayne Blanch
24th December 2006, 08:10 PM
I'd just like to wish everyone a great Christmas and new year, and thank you all for the information you provide and the assistance you give throughout the year - Thanks!!:cool:
Sawdust you really have gotten into the festive season. Good on ya.
See ya
Wayne

TTIT
25th December 2006, 12:38 AM
Merry Xmas and very woodie new year to everyone.

This looks like the thread for the soppy stuff so many thanks to everyone, regulars and newbies alike. I've learnt a lot in the year I've been on here from the likes of Skew, Ern, Cliff and Hughie to mention just a few. I reckon the forum is like having a woodworkers clubhouse in the spare room 24/7. Always someone with ideas, advice, critique - - whatever you need - - and all with the same passion - - wood. It would take some beating. Thanks to Ubeaut for hosting too - of course!:D

dai sensei
25th December 2006, 10:16 AM
Merry Christmas to all. I'm just sitting back today, although I do have to cook the roast shortly. Looks like a beautiful hot day here, as usual :D :cool: Normally I'd be off camping down south, but this year the kids wanted to do their own thing, so I am going to wait till later in the year, the weather is usually better, no crowds and the parks don't charge like wounded bulls.

I broke my finger the other day so won't be doing much woodworking for a while :( , even typing here drives me nuts :mad: . Been doing some out door stuff, but keep bumping it :o . Can't stand doing nothing.

rsser
25th December 2006, 11:32 AM
Bummer Neil.

So all you need from Santa is a CNC voice-recognition enabled lathe. Hope you've been treely rooly good!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

And thanks TTIT; what's the secret handshake of the venerable society of Stubby owners?

TTIT
27th December 2006, 12:22 AM
And thanks TTIT; what's the secret handshake of the venerable society of Stubby owners?

Hope there's no goats involved!:eek:;)

SawDustSniffer
27th December 2006, 01:33 AM

Santa is here
Australian adress only ( includes tasmaina )

its a 300x300x100 cruch edge cut "african Mohogany "
blocked yesterday it has a stain ( black ) in one corner ?? (i'll hit it with clorine / bleach before shipping )

:H thought i had beter repost the second blank give away ( was gona do 3 ) before i go to the post office tomorrow mornin :H

Wayne Blanch
27th December 2006, 11:39 AM
LOL behind the camera i have 6 more big ones to block up ,and on the palet behind is a cubic meter finnished ( and thats this weeks mad blocking efort ) have about 3 qubic meters of African Mohogany stashed on palets and in 44's with water ( there's still 5m^3 at the dump ), cant resist grabing whatever timber that ends up at the dump before it splits , hope no more mahogany turnes up ,i might have to leave it alone to crack and go to waste,there chopping all the big mahogany's down because thay fall over in cyclones ,pity there butiful trees
You certainly are lucky Sawdust, at the green waste area in my local dump they chip everything that comes in and wont let you touch anything that hasnt been chipped yet anyway. Bl**dy Nazis:mad:
That mahogany looks fantastic!
See ya
Wayne

Groggy
27th December 2006, 01:03 PM
I'll Have It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SawDustSniffer
27th December 2006, 01:22 PM
it's yours groggy just pm me your address or any adress where you will get it ,

(pic)pulling some sort of ecaliptys out of the stack now , got to much mohogany, might make my self a slabing gig for my chain saw

Woodbutcher1
27th December 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Everyone

A bit late for Xmas wishes, but wish everyone a great New Year:)

Gumby
27th December 2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Everyone

A bit late for Xmas wishes, but wish everyone a great New Year:)

Happy Hogmanay to yoo.

tashammer
29th December 2006, 08:57 AM
och aye and other various fake Scottisms, he said in greeting (the welcome is real).

toe curling joke: what is the sound that a Scottish steam train makes?
answer: Hoots, hoots.

lubbing5cherubs
1st January 2007, 01:24 AM
Wishing you a prosperous and happy new year for 2007 and may your lathes do plenty of revolutions for the year rather than resolutions:p :D
bye Toni

rodent
1st January 2007, 03:10 AM
NICE all i want is rain and lots of it . hate these water restrictions oh and ive been told im getting a set of jumper leads .

OGYT
2nd January 2007, 12:14 PM
uh... nappyhoo yerto yufrume... hic.. too....
and after he sobered up it would translate to
uh... happy new year to all of you from me... also. May all your turnin's be blest, and your shedtime increase to your likin'...
(I sure am glad I quit that boozin' many years ago. :o)

SawDustSniffer
2nd January 2007, 01:32 PM
NICE all i want is rain and lots of it . hate these water restrictions oh and ive been told im getting a set of jumper leads .

Dam you Rodent , your wish came true , you should have stated RAIN IN MELBOURNE , its pissing down in Darwin

Wayne Blanch
3rd January 2007, 08:37 AM
Dam you Rodent , your wish came true , you should have stated RAIN IN MELBOURNE , its pissing down in Darwin
Thanks Rod, Its raining here in Brisbane now. :U

Groggy
9th January 2007, 08:54 PM
SawDustSniffer - Thank You!

I got the piece today and took it straight out to the shed to introduce it to its new surrounds. Here it is after a hand plane workout

(yes that is dirt in my workshop! Make sure you pay attention to the last pic though.)

I am going to be thinking a bit on what to do with it.

You're a gentleman Mr SawDustSniffer, thanks again - you made my week for me :U:U:U

SawDustSniffer
9th January 2007, 09:08 PM
your welcome , it took 2 days for you to grab that one , some people might be kicking them selves for not getting in early-er

watch out for checking in your dry southern heat , hope you didn't through the saw dust away ( bury it in a small amount of saw dust )

pritty sure Skew's block is the book matched mate

Groggy
9th January 2007, 09:21 PM
your welcome , it took 2 days for you to grab that one , some people might be kicking them selves for not getting in early-er

watch out for checking in your dry southern heat , hope you didn't through the saw dust away ( bury it in a small amount of saw dust )

pritty sure Skew's block is the book matched mateI have the sawdust and will store it carefully.

I reckon a lot of people just read the last few posts in a thread and that's why they missed it - maybe a lesson in there somewheres...

If Skew jumps in here maybe he can tell me what he has planned for it - Skew?

:ohyaaa:

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2007, 09:36 PM
I

I think Skew was still contemplating that one when I last saw him :hmm:.

SawDustSniffer
9th January 2007, 10:13 PM
what i did was copy the original tread and changed a few words and pics , just to keep people on there toe's , then there was no answer i had to re post it ( was gonna do 3 )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th January 2007, 11:16 PM

At the moment I've simply slathered 4 coats of Mobilcer on it (yes, four... I'm not taking any chances. :- ) and start each day by sitting there contemplating it for an hour or so over the morning cuppa.

I'm torn between turning a large, plain bowl to show off the figuring in the bottom (but I hate bowls) and turning it into veneers to maximise usage. I've also considered making several platters out of it, perhaps in the form of a tiered lazy susan. If I can make up my mind one way or t'other I'd know how to slice/rough it to cure it more quickly.

Decisions, decisions... but until it feels comfortable in it's new home and starts talking to me it'll stay just as it is: the piece d'resistance of my timber rack. :wink:

Oh... and yes, I'd say mine is the bookmatched piece. :hapy:

Thank you again, SDS! http://www.ubeaut.biz/bowdown.gif

Stuart
10th January 2007, 12:11 AM
Lucky buggers - that bit on Groggy's bench is unbelievable :o

Good on ya SawDustSniffer - you are obviously a top bloke!

OGYT
10th January 2007, 12:08 PM
Don't know as I've ever seen a better piece of timber. Treat 'er well, Groggy!