PDA

View Full Version : David Payne's designs

Daddles
19th May 2003, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know where I can get some info on David Payne's designs. I've seen a few sketches and like the looks and concepts but really need some more info. A catalogue would be good or just someone to talk to - David himself for example.

Cheers
Richard

fxst
19th May 2003, 08:27 PM
of course u have tried flat duck?? er duck flat ?

STEPHEN MILLER
4th July 2003, 11:57 AM
Daddles
Try Douglas Mawson TAFE they use a couple of David Payne daesigns in the Boat Building courses they run
Stephen Miller

Joe Antin
15th August 2003, 10:45 PM
You can reach David Payne at
[email protected]

Andrew Nicholls
27th September 2003, 10:50 PM
David has a Catalogue of Plans.

Your closest distributor is indeed Duck Flat Wooden Boats.

David Payne
18c Kirkoswald Ave
Mosman NSW 2088
Ph 02 9969 1563

Good Luck.

PS I have a set of David's Plans and I can certainly vouch that they are very good!

Andrew.

AmazingJas
11th October 2003, 02:23 PM
All my boatbuilding catalogues are tucked away, remind me what boats are his?

Andrew Nicholls
12th October 2003, 12:42 AM
David Payne has many designs and they vary from possibly the worlds smallest yacht tender to large commercial vessels. For the amateur he has a catagologue which includes kayaks, rowing boats such as the Greenwich Gig, Putt Putt boats 12-21 feet, a 7m approx. coastal cruiser featured in one of "Wooden Boat"'s library, etc , etc. Lately in the most recent Aust. Amateur Boatbuilders Magazine he has a couple of 14m approx. steel cruising yachts featured. A couple of his most popular are "The Snapper Boat" and his smaller putt putt launches- of which I have plans for the canoe stern version.
David, IMHO, excells at capturing exquisite lines in his designs.
They really draw you in. (In every sense)
Cheers.

Andrew.

(PS Don't ask me what a 'catagologue' is- just popped out.)

AmazingJas
12th October 2003, 11:44 PM
What about those Phil Bolger boats? At first I thought his Micro designs were the ugliest things to ever grace the waters, but the more I looked at and read about them, the more I started to really appreciate them. If I had the money though, I'd probably prefer one of Bruce Kirby's Norwalk Island Sharpies, they are a beautiful boat.

Wild Dingo
2nd January 2004, 04:38 AM
Unfortunately many dont realize that Phil Bolger has many designs that are very mainstream... for some reason its his later designs of the micro and such that people think of him... but he also designed many a fine sailing power boats and also designed a brigatine tall ship thats been used in movies and as a tourist and sail training ship... the Rose I believe shes called but I could be wrong... its designed along the lines of the old spanish galleons with fancy scroll work on the rear aft cabin portholes a figurehead and everything else one could want in such a craft.

Having looked at some of David's {and Allan's} designs and having recently had emails regarding a 30ft luggar Ive been designing I can vouch that he is indeed a fine fella, helpful and encouraging.

either way dont give up on Phil Bolgers designs based solely on his more recent efforts

Good luck!
Shane