PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Bowl

Wayne Blanch
24th December 2006, 08:39 PM
Hi all
I have been meaning to post photo's of some of my projects in the past but I am a bit shy :o Shucks!:D Anyway here it is ....
Here are a couple of photo's of the largest bowl that I have managed to turn so far. It is made from Camphor Laurel sanded to 1200 grit and finished with EEE cream, and two coats of Shellawax cream. (Thanks Ubeaut for great products.) The dimensions are about 400 x 110mm
Merry Christmas
Wayne

BernieP
24th December 2006, 08:48 PM
G'Day Wayne

Seriously nice bowl, have a merry Christmas

Cheers
Bernie

lubbing5cherubs
24th December 2006, 10:21 PM
nothing to be shy about there very nice.
bye Toni

TTIT
25th December 2006, 12:18 AM
It might be a weed but the grain in Camphor rarely disappoints! Nice job Wayne.:) Gonna take a lot of fruit to fill that one up!;)

ptc
25th December 2006, 09:58 AM
where are the lollies ?

Wayne Blanch
25th December 2006, 11:07 AM
where are the lollies ?
I had it full of lollies, only about 8kg but the kids ate them! :eek: Now we have 8kg of slightly used lollies scattered around the house, and it is only 10am on Christmas morning.:D
Hope you all have a great day.
P.S. Christmas morning and I am on the computer writing to you lot - I wonder why SWMBO thinks I am obsessed with turning.:rolleyes:

rsser
25th December 2006, 11:54 AM
Hey Wayne, why not? We're your other family ;-}

Xmas is great with the kids around ... hope you have a fine old time.

Rookie
27th December 2006, 09:38 AM
P.S. Christmas morning and I am on the computer writing to you lot - I wonder why SWMBO thinks I am obsessed with turning.:rolleyes:

Wayne you're not obsessed with turning. You're obsessed with the computer. :D Get back out there and start turning.

CameronPotter
17th January 2007, 05:01 PM
Nice work mate. Greenie launched.

ciscokid
17th January 2007, 10:08 PM
Very nice bowl. Beautiful grain in that wood. Please tell me - did the strong camphor smell go away after finishing? I cut a pen blank the other day and my shop smelled for two days.

OGYT
18th January 2007, 02:34 PM
Surely is some beautiful Camphor, you have in OZ. Our Camphor looks mighty bland, in comparison. Nice bowl. Lollies or not. :o)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th January 2007, 08:55 PM
I believe the colouration through Camphor Laurel depends on the composition of the soil it's growing in. Some trees I've felled are bland, others just up the road have beautiful colour.

If I knew just what it was causing it, you'd see me wandering certain streets around here with a wheelbarrow and shovel. :wink:

Wayne Blanch
20th January 2007, 07:11 PM
Very nice bowl. Beautiful grain in that wood. Please tell me - did the strong camphor smell go away after finishing? I cut a pen blank the other day and my shop smelled for two days.
Sorry I took a while to answer I have been away for a little while. The camphor smell was reduced after the waxing but it is still there if you take a deep breath. I have to admit I love the smell of it and sometimes when I turn a lidded box I will leave some of the inside un-waxed so that the smell hits you when you open the lid.

Wayne Blanch
20th January 2007, 07:15 PM
If I knew just what it was causing it, you'd see me wandering certain streets around here with a wheelbarrow and shovel. :wink:

It's not a wheelbarrow and a shovel that I am tempted to wander around with but a chainsaw. The last time I did that though the neighbors seemed to get a little agitated.:; Don't Know why:~

DJ’s Timber
20th January 2007, 07:30 PM
That is nice, I like the form and the coloring of the camphor

Simomatra
21st January 2007, 09:13 AM
Nice bowl

really nice colours in the timber

Gil Jones
21st January 2007, 11:36 AM
Fine looking Camphor bowl, Wayne; well done!!
Our Camphor Laurel varies about like yours,
and it seems that the large, and rather old trees
have the best looking heart wood.

Wayne Blanch
21st January 2007, 12:21 PM
Fine looking Camphor bowl, Wayne; well done!!
Our Camphor Laurel varies about like yours,
and it seems that the large, and rather old trees
have the best looking heart wood.
Thanks again everyone:B .
The piece of wood that bowl was made from was from a large tree, it was made from the heart wood of a cross section of the trunk that was about 3'6"(1100mm) x 3' (900mm). I never saw the tree but it must have been massive:o . If I had seen it I think I would have scored more than the one bit of wood:C .

michael74
21st January 2007, 09:47 PM
nice bowl mate. i to have a camphor bowl i turned,little bit smaller when i get camera fixed will post photo.nice to work with,nice smell,nice patterns. well done mate:2tsup: