PDA

View Full Version : Huon Pine Wearing Black

Barry_White
25th December 2006, 05:46 PM
Did this today. Thought I would try a pale timber with the Black Enamel Pen kit. Copied the shape from PenPal

lubbing5cherubs
25th December 2006, 06:19 PM
Gidday Bazza looks very nice
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th December 2006, 07:01 PM
Nice bit of contrast there Barry, good choice!

DJ’s Timber
25th December 2006, 07:04 PM
Very nice, the black really sets the lighter color of the timber dosen't it.

Penpal
25th December 2006, 07:25 PM
Many years ago I found I liked that shape and have kept it high on my likes you did it justice,glad you bought the black enamel kits they worked out best price and good quality.For ever it seemed I fought the good fight for making pens an almost total minority in this area,very happy this forum exists and supports us all the way we do.Reread the owners words re forum use and wish to thank UBeaut for giving us the exposure.You are producing clean and well. All the best Peter:)

Barry_White
25th December 2006, 07:53 PM
Many years ago I found I liked that shape and have kept it high on my likes you did it justice,glad you bought the black enamel kits they worked out best price and good quality.For ever it seemed I fought the good fight for making pens an almost total minority in this area,very happy this forum exists and supports us all the way we do.Reread the owners words re forum use and wish to thank UBeaut for giving us the exposure.You are producing clean and well. All the best Peter:)

Thanks everyone again for the compliments.

Peter I love to experiment with different things. I first cut my teeth on a lathe at the age of 15 and spent 5 years at it making all sorts of patterns as an apprentice pattermaker. I left off my trade at 21 so have not used a lathe for 47 years.

The skills you learn never really leave you and I am certainly enjoying it.

I also pinched your way of drilling blanks. I was using the drill press with a table setup that I made but it was too slow adjusting for the various sizes of the blanks. The elcheapo cross vice that I bought didn't have any "V" grooves in it so I had to make my own by cutting some in some hard wood blocks on the sliding compound mitre saw. It certainly speeded up the operation of drilling the blanks and I just stick the blanks in sideways and use the battery drill with the pen mill in it to square the ends.

PenTurner
25th December 2006, 08:30 PM
I like that shape also Barry, and the colour contrast matches the smooth turning, well done, merry Christmas, Amos