PDA

View Full Version : Ameteur

Wingman
19th May 2003, 06:49 PM
In this forum, we have something in common...we all love woodwork. It seems though, that I am not only an ameteur with this hobby, but also in international affairs. This is my first real international experience. Since most of you are Australian, I would like to find out what Australian woodworkers think of American woodworkers: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

kenmil
19th May 2003, 07:24 PM
Wingman,

I use a forum in the USA, (www.forums.woodnet.net/) and from what I read there, they seem to be better set up than most of us. The average USA woodworker has access to more equipment and certainly more choices, consequently I am rather envious of what I see and hear.

The tendency to have a cellar (basement) in many houses also provides USA woodworkers with ready-made workshops in many cases, whereas I have never seen a house in Australia with a basement.

Any time I have posted to a forum or asked for assistance in the USA forum, I have been met with courtesy and friendliness. I have also found that on a couple of visits to Chicago & Indianapolis. Australians seem to be generally well received in the USA.

Of course, many of us here are fans of The New Yankee Workshop too.:D