PDA

View Full Version : my first project - chessboard

colbaby
26th December 2006, 04:01 PM
hi all

just wanted to share some photos of my first project! The board is made of recycled jarrah decking which had a few hundred layers of mission brown paint, silicone and astro turf stuck to it and some tas oak from bunnnies. i used my triton workcentre (xmas present recieved a couple of weeks early) to machine up all the pieces and finished it with 2 coats of danish oil. Overall really happy with the finish but the mitre cuts and glue up was a big learning curve as the joins around the edges weren't completley up to scratch. it will only make my next project better.
cheers
col

Doughboy
26th December 2006, 04:07 PM
Nice board. Now you need to carve the peices and you can even have a game....

Well done.

Pete

colbaby
26th December 2006, 04:46 PM
Cheers doughboy

i have to admit im cheating on the pieces for now (one thing at a time) i ordered some rosewood staunton pieces that should look nice

col

RufflyRustic
27th December 2006, 10:40 AM
Very Nice Chessboard!! - It looks like it needs the cheese platter next to it, some glasses of wine.....:H

cheers
Wendy

BobL
27th December 2006, 07:28 PM
Pretty darned good for a first project CB. Thumbs up for recycling the jarrah too.

Cheers
BobL

Peter36
27th December 2006, 10:14 PM
Looks kike a pretty good effort Colbaby . Did you laminate the legs for the base too http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

colbaby
28th December 2006, 02:09 PM
no i didn't laminate the legs too, sorry for the lack of info. I have just attached the board (temporarily) to a small table i had.

btw cheers for the feedback everyone

Iain
28th December 2006, 05:39 PM
Carbatec have a chess set, solid brass, you just turn the bit in the middle between the base and the top that identifies the piece.

Simomatra
28th December 2006, 05:47 PM
Nice job Col good to see the use of the re cycled timber

Like your idea Wendy with the wine and cheese