PDA

View Full Version : First Box

lachstar
26th December 2006, 08:01 PM
Well i figure i may as well post my box. This was my first attempt at a jewelery box, with my dads help we managed to make a wonderful xmas gift for my girlfriend. It is made out of Jarrah and Vic Ash. I lined the bottom with crimson velvet with foam underneath to add depth. And the top tray is also lined with crimson velvet just without the foam. Other than the bottom of the tray the whole box was made using solid timber. Im looking forward to my next box... already planing it.

Thanks for looking

Shedhand
26th December 2006, 08:04 PM
nice work mate. Bigger photos would be better.. :H

lachstar
26th December 2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks! yeah i know photo's are tiny, sorry about that ive got better ones theyre just kinda to big but ill make them smaller and post them soon.

Shedhand
26th December 2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks! yeah i know photo's are tiny, sorry about that ive got better ones theyre just kinda to big but ill make them smaller and post them soon.I guess the important question is; Did the chick like it? :D

Billylad
26th December 2006, 09:06 PM
How could a chick,not like a box made that good.

AlexS
26th December 2006, 09:54 PM
Nice first up box, I'm sure it went down well.

Harry72
26th December 2006, 10:36 PM
Looks pretty slick for a 1st attempt, well done mate.

mlsa
27th December 2006, 12:26 AM
Great looking box Latchstar. My first box sure wasn't that fancey...in fact I don't think any of my boxes look that fancy. lol.

It doesn't take much to get the box making fever does it? I know your girlfriend must have liked it.

Boxinator
27th December 2006, 02:15 AM
Very nice box Latchstar. You cracked a beauty out on the first shot it looks like. Keepem coming!

Corey

lachstar
27th December 2006, 07:16 PM
thanks! yeah she loved it.... i think everyone of her and her mums friends has seen it and yeah its got the thumbs up by them..... yeah next box is being planed atm.... im concidering using ironbark cos ive got heaps of old sleepers in the back yard that i could cut up. but its really hard to work with lol may as well give it a go

mongrell
27th December 2006, 07:33 PM
good lookin box mate :) just be wary of ironbark has a very bad habit of moving even if it has been layin around for years

lachstar
27th December 2006, 07:41 PM
ohk well ive gotta get it workable first dunno whether ill be able to cut it lol. ive also got some pieces of cherry.... we chopped down a dead tree so its gunna need drying but looks awsome so if anyone has any wonderful ideas about how to dry wood reasonable quickly without any equipment, im listening lol.

Bwillie
27th December 2006, 11:33 PM
nice box. love to see a little bigger pic too. Ain't it fun making these things? :H

ICN,

Bill

Simomatra
28th December 2006, 09:17 AM
Very nice first attempt at a box. Streets in front of my first try

Keep up the good work

DPB
28th December 2006, 09:39 AM
Lachstar, welcome to the box maker's forum. I;m looking forward to you posting pictures larger than the thumbnails.

Goodness, Mate! Someone should have told you - you don't make jewelry boxes for your girlfriend. :~ Who do you think she'll expect to fill it?

Keep up the good work! ;)

lachstar
28th December 2006, 07:44 PM
hmmm yeah well i dont think she needs any more its almost full as it is!
Here are the bigger pictures. Theres also one she took with her jewelery in it.

Bwillie
29th December 2006, 12:12 AM
Nice...getting better and bigger :D

Tell us about how the hinges were made and how the panel on the top was made. Thanks a bunch,

ICN,

Bill

Boxinator
29th December 2006, 03:01 AM
Excellent, that is a beautiful box. Looks like it has pin hinges to me.

Corey

lachstar
29th December 2006, 11:04 AM
yeah pin hinges..... much easier than the brass ones i reacon and they also look better i reacon..... we drilled a whole in each side for the shaft of a pop rivet to fit into and then we drilled a 6mm hole on the outside of that to put a jarrah dowl in.

The top was kinda difficult but that was cos we didnt really have the right equiptment lol dad had to cut them with a drop saw.... we cut the jarah triangles first and glued up that square then we cut the ash ones a bit bigger and glued that up then we cut it down to size allowing room for the edge which we then glued on. The knob on the front was made from a piece of the edging which i routed a slot in and then glued a piece of ash offcut inside to give the contrast then we cut a whole in the lid and the knob with a biscuit cutter to find the possible size then cut it down to 60mm and then sanded the curve on. Then it was glued on.

BTW sorry about the crappy colours of the picture.... its cos of the size limit