PDA

View Full Version : Save those shampagne corks!!

cedar n silky
26th December 2006, 10:13 PM
Hi all:) .
It's been a while since I contributed to the Forum:( .
And equally a while since I was on my lathe:( .
It has been enjoyable and comforting though, juming on occasionaly and reading what everyone is up too (your sort of like an extended family!:) ). My mother passed away, after a long illness, and what with greiving, funeral, family and friends, and all the beurocratic/ legal sh-t that goes with dying well it's been a while since there was any activity in the shed.
BUT_:) :) :) This afternoon, I finaly got down there and turned the attatched wine stopper. It took a BL--dy long time to make but I had a ball!:yeah: A freind said to only use bubbly corks because of the quality, and having never turned cork before, i wasn't sure how it was going to go.
It's all a bit rough, but cork to my surprise even sands quite well.
I did find out though, that it cuts better slower ratherthan faster!?!
The whole thing was done with my skew. I'm finally getting "sort of" comfortable with it!:rolleyes:
i do have a question though. The discouloration on the top af the wine stopper (a bit of a cedar branch). Is that caused by friction from bevel rub perhaps? Was my lathe a bit too fast?
All suggestions welcome.
By the way, it's a great time for all your freinds and rellys to save you the bubbly corks, what with new Year coming up:yeah: . I know I have people on the lookout, and I already have a bucket full!
Happy New Year- Cedar :H

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th December 2006, 11:39 PM
i do have a question though. The discouloration on the top af the wine stopper (a bit of a cedar branch). Is that caused by friction from bevel rub perhaps? Was my lathe a bit too fast?

Too fast... or too slow... or you lingered too long with the bevel rubbing and not removing enough timber. Bloody helpful, innit? :D

Unless you sped the lathe up as you neared the middle, I'd say 'twas probably one of the last two.

No problems drilling the cork? I might have to make one or two myself... if only I can work out what shape fits a tinny. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
27th December 2006, 12:17 AM
Good idea!! Wonder if that works for coke bottles??:rolleyes:

You mean to say Skew you ever have some left in your tinny to put back in the fridge... She says ducking for the door...LOL.:p :yeah:
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th December 2006, 12:28 AM
You mean to say Skew you ever have some left in your tinny to put back in the fridge... She says ducking for the door...LOL.:p :yeah:

No... but it'd be nice to be able to put a cork in it to stop the sawdust settling in while I take "just one more cut" on the lathe. I've already made a lid for my coffee cup but I won't use it on tinny's 'cos I don't believe in mixing beverages. ;):p

The real problem's gonna be convincing a certain person that I really do need a crate o' bubbly and that I haven't done anything I'm feeling guilty about. :rolleyes:

TTIT
27th December 2006, 12:29 AM
Wondered where ya got to Cedar! Sorry to hear about your mum.

Would never have tackled cork without seeing your stopper. Little ripper :H .How did you drill the hole in the cork?? Drill press? Lathe? Fast/slow?

RETIRED
27th December 2006, 07:47 AM
Hi all:) .
Happy New Year- Cedar :HAs Skew says: too slow on the lathe and the chisel. Sometimes it is better to use a gouge on those round over cuts.:yeah:

cedar n silky
27th December 2006, 09:02 AM
Wondered where ya got to Cedar! Sorry to hear about your mum.

Would never have tackled cork without seeing your stopper. Little ripper :H .How did you drill the hole in the cork?? Drill press? Lathe? Fast/slow?
I was in such a hurry to "knock something out" yesterday, that I just used a 9mm Forstner bit with my cordless!(by eye):eek: But if I was going to make heaps I would probably make up a holder under my drill press. Most of the bubbly corks in Australia seem to all come from the one supplier, so they are very consistent. I cut off 2 veneers of cork (there are 2 veneers at the wine end of the cork) nice and square with a sharp Stanley knife, and butted that end up against the timber.
The hole was a bit rough, and I used a bit of thick CA to stick it to the wood!:eek:
Hope I don't give all my Friends cancer!:eek: :) Don't know how CA reacts to a partially used bottle of wine-
Any suggestions for a more user friendly (drinker friendly) glue would be appreciated!:)

JackoH
27th December 2006, 09:14 AM
Looks like end-grain 'tear-out' to me, Like said - use a gouge and speed up the lathe.
(Those composition/plastic corks used by lots of wineries also turn and sand quite well as long as you go slow to prevent friction heat build up.)

rodent
27th December 2006, 09:34 AM
JUSTa thought if gouged in dought try a 3point tool i have the same problem doing cabashons.ie round caps ,domed tops.

hughie
27th December 2006, 02:42 PM

and having never turned cork before, i wasn't sure how it was going to go.
It's all a bit rough, but cork to my surprise even sands quite well.
I did find out though, that it cuts better slower ratherthan faster!?!
The whole thing was done with my skew. I'm finally getting "sort of" comfortable with it!:rolleyes:
All suggestions welcome.

My Dad used to turn composite bowls with cork. He always reckoned razour shape tools and max rpms along with small cuts. He used to get so sharp that you could shave with them
Sanding done the same way, very gently.:H

As one not totally un-familar with the fruit of the grape :D It seems theres a shortage of cork for the bottling of wine. So gather as many as you can, apparently Portugal the main supplier to the world has not been able to keep up with the demand. So we are going to screw caps big time..............an Oz innovation... ;) :D

Touchwood
28th December 2006, 12:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your Mum - a rough time for you by the sounds.

Now you can have a bubbly toast in her memory - nice stopper.

JD:)

tashammer
28th December 2006, 12:20 AM
how about a straw sticking through one of those plastic container end caps?

Studley 2436
28th December 2006, 01:03 AM
Gosh nice work!

Personally I use my corks to tie up fishing rigs!. Line goes the the sinker and then a leader with the hooks and a cork at the top!

Wonder if a turned cork gets more fish?

Studley

cedar n silky
28th December 2006, 10:16 AM
Gosh nice work!

Personally I use my corks to tie up fishing rigs!. Line goes the the sinker and then a leader with the hooks and a cork at the top!

Wonder if a turned cork gets more fish?

Studley
Thanks Studley.
I too use corks for fishing, although, I must say I only use wine corks for that. I am not a bubbly drinker, can't stand the stuff!:yuk: Quite partial to the odd red though, so I have plenty (corks that is- not wine unfortunately!). Very partial to the amber ale, although I haver to watch the waist line!:grumble:
Obviously presentation is the name of the game when catching fish (not that I am an expert by any means)! If the fish see your making the effort in presenting the "bait" then I am sure they will recipirocate!:fingerscrossed:

cedar n silky
28th December 2006, 10:28 AM
:) :) As one not totally un-familar with the fruit of the grape http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/biggrin.gif It seems theres a shortage of cork for the bottling of wine. So gather as many as you can, apparently Portugal the main supplier to the world has not been able to keep up with the demand. So we are going to screw caps big time..............an Oz innovation... ;) http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/biggrin.gif<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
That makes 2 of us:) Thanks for the tip on the iminent cork shortage! I have a friend who works at a top resteraunt in Byron Bay. He said he will collect a lot for me. I will be gathering corks by the cubic metre now!:)
Bring back the flagon (remember those big glass bottles?)- ban the cask! And the plasic cork!:arge:

Studley 2436
28th December 2006, 12:24 PM
Actually the cork is harvested from the bark of the cork oak. The best stuff goes to the Europeans. Mind you the Stelvin Closure has been a real plus.

Mind you Len Evans never liked them he felt the wine needed a cork closure to allow proper developement in the bottle. Of course no problems with that cat in the dryer corky fault you can get with cork

Studley
won't talk about fishing anymore because it isn't on topic

Terry B
28th December 2006, 12:39 PM
How did you mount it on the lathe?
I would have thought that pressure from the tailstock would distort it.

Iain
28th December 2006, 12:40 PM
So we are going to screw caps big time..............an Oz innovation... ;) http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/biggrin.gif<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

As I discovered after ratting around for a corkscrew for half an hour and upon return with said instrument of pleasure discovered bottle was a screw o
Sorry to hear about your Mum, happened to me a few years ago and all the associated crap really makes it more unpleasant than it should have to be.

cedar n silky
28th December 2006, 02:45 PM
How did you mount it on the lathe?
I would have thought that pressure from the tail stock would distort it.
Terry, I actually put a 9 mm hole through the cork, and turn a 9 mm + dowel on the timber blank. All turned between centres, so a delicate touch is required- Not too much pressure on the tail stock centre, (as I found out yesterday on my second one. A bit of CA kept me going).
So, there is a solid tube of timber in the middle, and once turned, really only a few mm's of cork around it at the bottom, if you get my drift!:roll: In one of the attached photos, you can see the timber on the end of the cork, if you look closely.:)

CanFly
28th December 2006, 03:17 PM
Please enlighten me guys: What's a "tinny?"

Ray

martrix
28th December 2006, 03:27 PM
Please enlighten me guys: What's a "tinny?"

Ray

It holds the cold frothy amber stuff.....:cheers2:cheers:D
http://www.australianbeers.com/beers/vb/vbbloke.jpg

SawDustSniffer
28th December 2006, 04:43 PM
or a dingy ( aluminum boat) , tinny ,good idear ,your shout:2tsup:

Studley 2436
28th December 2006, 07:50 PM
Score Martrix for that one.

Typical Aussie Slang. An Aluminium can we call a tinny or tinnie if you like short for tin can.

Small Aluminium dinghy say 12 or 14 foot same deal. Where is the Tin? Dunno, actually "Tin" cans were always made of steel so we must be a dumb lot down here.

Which is good because no one will take us seriously until they find out that we do in fact rule the world

Studley

CanFly
29th December 2006, 07:40 AM
Aha! Now we on the other side of the world know what a 'tinny' is. Good on yer! The fine example displayed by Martirx proves the point; but, could that be a 'can' of Canadian Molson's he's proudly displaying?

Ray

Iain
29th December 2006, 08:20 AM
No, 'VB' Vitual Beer, it tries hard and nearly makes it:roll:

Studley 2436
29th December 2006, 08:21 AM
Nah Ray that is one of the Very Best, our #1 brew Victoria Bitter.

When I was in the Outback it was all we drank. Got a new bartender there once Danish Guy called Max. He was pretty good at his job but didn't know the slang.

First guy orders a VB. OK gets it, next guy picks up on it and asks for a Victor Bravo, oh my god where is this thing! Next one wants one of the Very Best. OK so just getting a handle on this and the next guy asks for GUESS WHAT a Victoria Bitter! He was so used to getting the beer by it's various nick names that he fumbled it on it's proper name. Mind you he never fell for that one again.

Studley

cedar n silky
29th December 2006, 05:27 PM
Aha! Now we on the other side of the world know what a 'tinny' is. Good on yer! The fine example displayed by Martirx proves the point; but, could that be a 'can' of Canadian Molson's he's proudly displaying?

Ray
There'a a whole "beer" vocabulary out here down under:D ! Schooner or Midi (glasses at the pub)- Long neck- stubbie- throw downs (all from the Bottlo!)
And 4x (xxxx) (Brewed in QLD, absolutely foul IMHO) Little Creatures :2tsup: , and Bees Knees (Western Australian- absolutely lovely)
There you go, Can Fly a bit more of our culture for ya, mate1:-

Iain
29th December 2006, 05:35 PM
Not forgetting pots, ponies and glasses, then we have sangers, snags, tu rd dimplers, sheilas, crow eaters, sand gropers, dero's, blonks, galahs, joe blakes, noahs, etc etc............

Doughboy
29th December 2006, 06:18 PM
Ok a tinny can be a can o' beer but we also call a small aluminium boat a tinny, a car can sound tinny, and wine can taste tinny. So if you can work all that out you are doing very well indeed.

Pete

SawDustSniffer
29th December 2006, 07:13 PM
Melbourne Bitter ( MB ) = Mexican bitter cos all vic's are mexicans ( south of the boarder
south australians are "Crow eaters "
Western Australians are "Sand gropers "
Queenslanders are " Bananna Benders "
NSW ??? what do thay call a whale's man

for that matter whats a bloke from NT ??

Iain
29th December 2006, 07:40 PM
for that matter whats a bloke from NT ??

Delusional:stirthepot:

lacewood
30th December 2006, 09:26 PM
Delusional:stirthepot:

No....... just miserable... the open speed limit on our roads comes to an end on Monday. The top speed allowed now will be 130 k instead of the usual low flying:o

:D

cedar n silky
30th December 2006, 09:29 PM
No....... just miserable... the open speed limit on our roads comes to an end on Monday. The top speed allowed now will be 130 k instead of the usual low flying:o

:D
My old Hi-lux can't even get to a 130 so I wont be missing anytrhing when i head up your way!@:D :B

Iain
30th December 2006, 10:33 PM
As I heard quoted once: 'Anyone can own a Ferrari, but not anyone can drive one'
Sort of negates the NT no speed limit.

SawDustSniffer
31st December 2006, 12:14 AM
trouble is thay book you for going to slow in darwin ?? i think Clair Martin didn't have the balls to go to the 110 km limit like the rest of ozz , oh we have long distances to travel ( what a load of sh!+ ) WA and QLD are bigger than NT , i think its a good idear, how manny di$&#37;#$#ck heads do you see in Monaro's doing 230+kmh down a 2way highway full of pot holes , road trains & roo's ( all rego'ed in other states )

Iain
31st December 2006, 08:04 AM
We can also get booked for travelling too slow, two lane highway sitting in outside lane under 80kph whilst not overtaking or turning.
I have never seen it enforced though.

Studley 2436
1st January 2007, 11:01 PM
It is a sad sad day that they bring some silly limit in the NT (who are Territorians if anyone was wondering) Clare Martin isn't a Territorian, I don't know what she is but with that silly ABC accent well what can you say. She was elected by the cartel of the ALP Black Fellas and the Darwin Public Servants. Sad but you get that.

I remember driving up there all day 180 or 190km/h in a V6 Commodore, very long straight and flat roads made it perfectly reasonable, but the Tourists forced to drive 4wd on any dirt road and the Drunk Black Fellas not to mention miners on dirt roads made the road toll look ugly. But it was never anything to do with high speed on the highway's.

Sad day again as the road Nazi's restrict drivers still further.

Studley

Doughboy
1st January 2007, 11:28 PM
To make everyone happy lets just make the whole of NT a racetrack because that is the only place that speeds in excess of 110 kph are needed. If you need to get there faster than that take a plane! I own a Subaru Outback 3.0 lt six and I am damn sure I will never go faster than 110 kph, I dont need to and fail to see anyone justify the need to go faster.

BTW NSW people are called c0ckroaches

Pete

adamtas
8th January 2007, 10:34 PM
What a top idea... I have PLENTY of corks... Now all I need is a lathe!
Sorry I can't help with your question.
Finished another bottle of bubbly with the wife last night... Good Tasmanian stuff.

JackoH
9th January 2007, 08:29 AM
You could build something with the empties. :ontopic: