PDA

View Full Version : Keg or Incra 1000SE mitre gauge

greenie512
27th December 2006, 11:02 AM
Now it’s highly unlikely that any one has both the Keg and the Incra 1000SE mitre gauges but I fancy a late xmas present (to myself) but as these guys are roughly the same price – I just can’t make my mind up.
<o></o>
I know the Keg has got some good recent reviews marginally over the Incra but I am veering towards the 1000SE as it looks to have finer adjustments etc.
(I have done a search on these two and was hoping to find someone who has experience on both gauges?)
<o></o>
Anyone like to convince me one way or the other??
<o></o>
(and yes I know I missed a Keg for sales a few days ago – dam)

Happy Christmas to you all - and a not so sober new year

Tex B
27th December 2006, 11:13 AM
Green,

I don't have the kreg, but have used the Incra for about a year. Absolutely love it. Almost never use the crosscut sled any more. A few days ago I noticed it was not exactly square any more, so reset in a couple of minutes. Guess I need to make a mental note to check that a couple of times a year.

I have done various angles of miters with it, and once you have an unusual angle set, if you make a note of the degree, you can replicate within about a tenth of a degree if you need to cut another piece.

Mine was not quite square on the vertical, so I slipped a piece of paper between the track and the guide, and it's now perfect. Not sure if that's a design flaw or if I just didn't set it up properly to start with.

But again, i have not used the Kreg.

Regards,

Tex

greenie512
27th December 2006, 11:16 AM
The vertical issue was mentioned once or twice in another thread and someone replied that this is mentioned in the manual and may need initial shimming as you did.

Stuart
27th December 2006, 12:41 PM
Ask Dean from online tool reviews - (he's also a member on these boards) - he's used both so should be able to give a good comparison.

felixe
28th December 2006, 12:42 AM
Ive got the incra 1000se and it is fantastic, there was a review in a magazine about 6 months ago and the summary was that they are both very good.:thewave:

Stuart
28th December 2006, 10:24 PM
Forgot to mention - own an Incra, and you will be your own best friend. Buy a keg, and you have lots of friends visiting :D