PDA

View Full Version : New and looking for advice.

turtle
28th December 2006, 04:58 PM
Hi Everyone. After looking at the photos of all the incredible boxes and reading most of the forums, I am determined to take up box making as a new hobby/addiction. My only concern is I have limited space and don't really know if I could go up to a 14" machine. Would it be possible to settle for a 10" for now and just make do or would I be wasting my time and money? I have read previous forums but I didn't notice if people have tried using a 10" machine and if they managed to work around the limitations. Thanks.

Billylad
28th December 2006, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the forum,what do you mean 14 ", are you refering to tablesaw.

outback
28th December 2006, 09:29 PM
New and looking for advice

Wear clean undies and be nice to ya Mum. :)(

turtle
29th December 2006, 05:25 AM
I don't have the room for a 14" bandsaw so I was hoping that I could still get by with a 10" bandsaw that is more portable. I was looking at the Delta 10" .5 hp BS150LS. I just wanted to know from you experts if I would be able to get by with this machine or is it too limited to make boxes with.
Thanks.

Bwillie
29th December 2006, 09:40 AM
If it's a bandsaw for making bandsawn boxes, Tony Ward is hands down the expert on that (IMHO). Look him up under "Sculptured Box"

I think he might tell you at least a 1HP and 14" are going to be worth your while.

ICN,

Bill

Sculptured Box
29th December 2006, 06:55 PM
Hi Everyone. After looking at the photos of all the incredible boxes and reading most of the forums, I am determined to take up box making as a new hobby/addiction. My only concern is I have limited space and don't really know if I could go up to a 14" machine. Would it be possible to settle for a 10" for now and just make do or would I be wasting my time and money? I have read previous forums but I didn't notice if people have tried using a 10" machine and if they managed to work around the limitations. Thanks.

Turtle

Welcome to the best box makers Forum, internationally, our members are more than happy to offer and provide any support you ask for.

If your interest is bandsawn boxes - then I suggest that you purchase the best bandsaw that your budget can afford. Look for depth of cut, size of table, type of blade supports and size of motor (the larger the better). I would avoid a bandsaw which offers the provision for a riser as the amount of support provided at the table level will be diminished when using a riser.

Should you have any questions, queries or comments, please do not hesitate to ask, here

AlexS
29th December 2006, 08:35 PM
What Tony said goes also for 'ordinary' boxes. You will want to resaw timber, cut veneers etc, and for these a 14" bandsaw with at least a 1hp motor is the go. Something this size should do you for a long time, and if you spend a little time tuning it you will get good results.

Welcome to the big world of box making, we look forward to seeing some of your work in the near future.

Sculptured Box
29th December 2006, 08:42 PM
What Tony said goes also for 'ordinary' boxes. You will want to resaw timber, cut veneers etc, and for these a 14" bandsaw with at least a 1hp motor is the go. Something this size should do you for a long time, and if you spend a little time tuning it you will get good results.

Welcome to the big world of box making, we look forward to seeing some of your work in the near future.

AlexS

There is nothing "ordinary" about the boxes exhibited on this Forum, they are amongst the best in the world, if not the best!

AlexS
29th December 2006, 09:07 PM
AlexS

There is nothing "ordinary" about the boxes exhibited on this Forum, they are amongst the best in the world, if not the best!

Sorry, perhaps I meant conventional.:B

turtle
2nd January 2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am going to start my shopping right after New Year's day. I asked my wife to hold off on a Christmas gift for me because I new I wanted a bandsaw. I was just waiting to hear what you experts had to say.

Thanks again for your input.

Dwayne

Sculptured Box
3rd January 2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am going to start my shopping right after New Year's day. I asked my wife to hold off on a Christmas gift for me because I new I wanted a bandsaw. I was just waiting to hear what you experts had to say.

Thanks again for your input.

Dwayne

Dwayne

What a way to start the "007 year"!