PDA

View Full Version : Elm, Innisfail & Cyclone Larry

Wizened of Oz
29th December 2006, 12:09 AM
A local arborist who worked on the cleanup in Innisfail after Cyclone Larry has given me two pieces of "elm" which came from a tree in the main street.
I was surprised that a temperate climate elm would be growing in tropical Innisfail. I've planed and oiled two faces of each piece and they don't look like elm to me, not that I have ever worked with elm.
My good Samaritan said there were many local woodturners lined up to take away this wood as they cut it and he was only able to keep these two pieces.
I suspect that this was actually a plane tree, the timber is sycamore (or lacewood if you prefer).
Unfortunately nothing was done to seal or control the drying of these pieces and there is a fair bit of checking and a couple of deep cracks, but I think I can recover enough small boards for a couple of jewellery cabinets I have in mind.
So, you FNQ people, was there a plane tree or an elm in Innisfail's main street? Or can somebody recognise this timber. The colour is actually a fair bit pinker than shows in these photos.

DJ’s Timber
29th December 2006, 09:49 AM
It dosen't look like plane to me. Wrong grain composition for plane.

It certainly looks like elm except that it is lighter in color, maybe because of the different climates it has come up lighter in color

Justin
29th December 2006, 06:39 PM
Looks very similar to a piece of elm that I was given, especially the bottom bit in the second photo.

Justin.