PDA

View Full Version : Cutting some veneer for stringing

Arron
29th December 2006, 07:38 PM
Hi. I'm trying to cut some veneer into 6mm strips. Its black stuff that I want to use it for stringing. Any suggestions on the best way to do this. I've tried guillotines and table saw - without great success. Cutting with a craft knife or one of those round cutters is good but tedious.

thanks
Arron

Carry Pine
29th December 2006, 07:58 PM
It's not regulation (standard practice) but I've had success with putting it between two sheets of ply and cutting with the drop saw.
.................works for me.

Carry Pine

zenwood
30th December 2006, 09:25 AM
Do you mean ripping or crossut? To rip it, I'd use a bandsaw with a zero clearance base so that the veneer is supported right up to the blade.

For crosscutting, if it's thin enough, I'd use a chisel to get a nice clean end. Line up the reflection of the stringing on the back of the chisel blade to make sure the cuts are at 90° (see pic).

If it's too wide for a single chisel chop, perhaps a veneer saw run along the edge of a ruler?

Schtoo
30th December 2006, 11:58 PM
Spaghetti maker.

Wet it a little first and just run it on through. ;)

JDarvall
31st December 2006, 01:02 AM
splitter on a combination plane.

eddie the eagle
31st December 2006, 08:34 AM
Cutting gauge, Arron.

Cheers,

eddie

JDarvall
31st December 2006, 08:42 AM
I think Eddie might have nailed it fellas. Spose it obvious really isn't it.:D

Bruce Berman
4th July 2007, 05:10 AM
We've had great success cutting narrow veneer stock, 4mm, with the "Miracle Veneer Trimmer". We can cut a stack of veneer at one time and the cuts are seamed and ready to tape.

Bruce Berman