PDA

View Full Version : Silkwood platter

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2006, 12:29 PM
This one WAS going to be a gallery piece.

1. Roughed out platter, has been drying for a couple of years, now ready to be finished.

2. Bottom finished. Turned it true, shear scrapped, sanded at 240, 320, 400, & polished with EEE

3. Bottom close up.

4. Top rim finished ready to have the last bit of undercutting done & then finish the inside.

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2006, 12:38 PM
Too keen & eager, I should have taken a break & had a drink of water/tea/coffee or something but no, straight into it. :roll:
While I was under cutting the rim I burred the lip a bit so grabbed a detail gouge to tidy it up & :censored2: 'n blamo. :~
It lept off the chuck hitting everything in sight as it went. :ranting2:

Here are the results.... anywhere there is a red mark there is damage. :rant: :upset: :fit: :banghead: :grumble: :arge: :frustrated:

DJ’s Timber
30th December 2006, 12:41 PM
Looking good Cliff, is this the one that went flying:plane: :aargh:

Yep, what a bummer

dai sensei
30th December 2006, 01:07 PM
Don't you hate that. Looks salvageable though.

Have you got bowl jaws? You could tidy up the base and glue on a temp spigot with hot melt glue, then re-turn the outside and finish the inside. Then remount on the bowl jaws and remove the spigot, finishing the base.

Wayne Blanch
30th December 2006, 01:21 PM
Wow Cliff:2tsup: , Lovely piece of work. It looks salvageable though. Its hard to tell from photos though I suppose

What I want to know is why does this always happen when you are nearly finished??:banghead:

Al B
30th December 2006, 01:26 PM
What a shame Cliff :C Thats one fine looking platter, hopefully it wont take much to get it back looking spectacular again.

lubbing5cherubs
30th December 2006, 01:27 PM
Cliff that a bummer when that happens. But still resembles something round. Rather than shattered. That what I thought you had done. You still did a nice platter. Sorry about the character bits you did not add
bye Toni

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2006, 01:56 PM
I can fix it, it just won't be the same. :~

Thanks for the comments. :2tsup:

I do have a big set of jaws I can reverse it onto & fix up the foot & then put it back on the chuck & take another couple of mm off it it just such a waste of time having to go backwards by about 2 hours. :(

The rim is going to be difficult to salvage. :cool:
I have made the little bead at the opening a sort of signiture to my work & I think this one may have to be cut away to fix the catch. :((

hughie
30th December 2006, 02:23 PM
I can fix it, it just won't be the same. :~

I do have a big set of jaws I can reverse it onto & fix up the foot & then put it back on the chuck & take another couple of mm off it it just such a waste of time having to go backwards by about 2 hours. :(

The rim is going to be difficult to salvage. :cool:
I have made the little bead at the opening a sort of signiture to my work & I think this one may have to be cut away to fix the catch. :((
[/QUOTE]

Arrrgh! :fit: Cliff,

I know what its like :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: No matter how well the salvage operation goes the shape and form will have gone.

Its amazing how many blasted things the darn bowl can find to hit on its way down.

BernieP
30th December 2006, 02:28 PM
G'Day Cliff

What a shame, but I'm sure it will be excellent when fixed, afraid I wouldn't Know where to start. Attached picture will show what I mean, at least yours stayed in one bit!

OGYT
30th December 2006, 03:07 PM
Sorry, Cliff, about th' misfortune. Almost finished with it, too. Really makes for a bad day.
Hope this stuff isn't catchin'. ... speakin' of which... wonder if there isn't a vaccination one could get to prevent this sort of malady... hmmmm...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2006, 03:51 PM
Ouch!

You know where your first mistake was, don't you Cliff? Earmarking it as a gallery piece. That's almost guaranteed to see it do a runner...

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 03:57 PM
wow, that must have found lots of things to run into. hope you can make something from the remains.

robatman
30th December 2006, 09:21 PM
looks great so far- i'm sure you can salvage it,

i also cant believe you have the patience to let something dry out for a few years after roughing it out!! I usually just turn it green and hope it doesnt crack!! got about a 50% success rate after a few months.

Robert

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2006, 10:24 PM
...cant believe you have the patience to let something dry out for a few years after roughing it out!! ...

I have HEAPS of roughed out stuff. :roll:
The real fun in woodturning is ripping off yards & yards of wet shavings at a rate of knots. :D
As soon as I get something wet, I rough it & chuck it on the stack.
When somebody asks for something, I plough through the roughed out stack to find something suitable.

The troops at my wife's work want a gallery piece to give to somebody who put in a big effort on some PR stuff. I got the job... & buggered it up. :~

joe greiner
31st December 2006, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=Cliff Rogers;434488].... anywhere there is a red mark there is damage. QUOTE]

Depending on the species, I prefer green or blue.:D

Joe

antman
3rd January 2007, 08:35 AM
Hey Cliff,

That was really bad luck.

Just out of interest, once you have roughed a green piece do you reseal it or do anything in particular?

I roughed a couple of silky oak bowls and sat them away only to discover they had split despite the ample layers of PVC applied.

I'll be interested to see what you can do with the damaged (or is that modified?) goods!

Cheers,
Anthony

Cliff Rogers
3rd January 2007, 09:42 AM
... once you have roughed a green piece do you reseal it or do anything in particular?

I roughed a couple of silky oak bowls and sat them away only to discover they had split despite the ample layers of PVC applied....

All depends on the timber.
Some crack worse that others, Mango goes mouldy in a way that I don't like. (mentioned several times elsewhere on this forum)

Silkwood & maple are both fine, they warp heaps but don't crack much.
Mango cracks if it isn't roughed out & goes mouldy if I don't get it a good washing to get the sap out.
Had mixed results with silky oak. It does crack if it is stored in log form or big blanks. I have roughed out some & it seems to be OK.
Maybe worth trying roughing out & soaking to see if it makes a difference.
Some of the blokes on here have soaked stuff in a varying recipe of liquid detergent and water/metho. I haven't tried it myself.
Most of the dry country western timbers seem to crack badly no matter what you do. I have found that they are best in smaller pieces for spindle turning.

PS. If you have 16' log of silky oak, don't store it leaning against the back of your shed.... the dopey :censored2: 'n fireys will come along while you aren't home & cut it up 'cos they think it is dangerous.
That story is here... http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29796

Little Festo
3rd January 2007, 12:19 PM
I

The troops at my wife's work want a gallery piece to give to somebody who put in a big effort on some PR stuff. I got the job... & buggered it up. :~

Bad Luck Cliff,

You didn't "bugger it up", just a "change in design challenge", sure you will fix it up.

Peter

Cliff Rogers
3rd January 2007, 12:23 PM
...a "change in design challenge", .....

Thanks Pete, more finishing practice is what it is. :rolleyes:

Boxinator
3rd January 2007, 02:01 PM
Oh my.. Cliff, sorry to see that happened to such a nice looking piece. Well good luck and look forward to seeing the fix.

Corey

Clinton1
3rd January 2007, 02:31 PM
Bummer.

I'm sure the next one will behave better. :)