PDA

View Full Version : New turner's sixth bowl

OGYT
30th December 2006, 02:50 PM
I have a friend named Harold, that has been coming over to my shop and is learning to turn, using Old Griz. :2tsup: I don't think I'm a very good teacher, since I still need to be taught too, but he will be purchasing his first lathe in another month or two. (He's hooked. It makes two of us in about a 120 mile area.) :D
I'm going to turn him on to this forum tomorrow at the fire station, where he can use a public computer. He's located other woodturning sites, and I want him to get involved with this one.
This bowl is the sixth piece that he has turned. He asked me to take a quick pic of it and get some critiques.
It is from Spalted Magnolia. About 20cm diameter X 15cm tall.
Finish is Danish Oil. It's not cured yet, so it's not been buffed.
Please give him some constructive criticism, so he can continue to learn. Thanks.
Sorry about the pics being so poorly done.:-

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 04:02 PM
wow. what a great peice of timber.
he's done well, i find deep bowls can be hard to keep it real smooth ( because of overhang off the tool rest ), and it looks like he's done it well.
i also like the form.

DJ’s Timber
30th December 2006, 04:08 PM
I reckon he has done a great job of getting a good clean finish on that, as a deep bowl is harder to finish on the inside.

Don't particularly like the shape, looks too top heavy, maybe 5cm shorter would be better

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2006, 04:10 PM
Mmmm... that's one nice piece of timber!

Critique? From the photos I couldn't see any obvious tool-marks, so I'd say he has his tool technique down pat and it's a nice finish for all that it hasn't been buffed. :) I imagine he managed a constant wall thickness? Can't tell from photos.

The only thing I can see that needs work IMHO is the form. And really, that's a very personal thing anyway. The size and form is good for a small serving bowl, it'd certainly be a good conversation piece on a home buffet, but DO isn't really the best choice of finish for that.

As a decorative piece the form is too high for the width to my eye and the walls are a bit thick, making it appear "chunky." But I'm the last person you'd want to ask about form... :-

hughie
30th December 2006, 05:36 PM
Al,

I 'd say Harold is doing just fine. Looks like a fine popcorn bowl. :D

Shape and form are a very personal thing. I kinda side with Skew on this one. But at 8" x 6" high it'l probably be ok.

But its a fine effort all the same. :2tsup: and a great chunk of timber to boot.

good job teech. :D

BernieP
30th December 2006, 10:16 PM
G'Day Al

Great wood, great bowl, obviously great teacher

Cheers
Bernie

Wayne Blanch
30th December 2006, 11:42 PM
G'day, I think Harold has done well:brava , his technique seems to be fine (obviously due to an excellent teacher:2tsup: .) and as has been said form is a very personal thing. IMHO an excellent effort!

TTIT
31st December 2006, 02:07 AM
Little bit chunky for my taste but as it's only his sixth bowl, I'd say he's doing just fine - must have been the tuition!:;

joe greiner
31st December 2006, 02:40 AM
Fine, fine, lookin' wood. No wonder he's hooked.

Gotta agree on the proportions, though. "Golden Section" (or whatever it's called) would suggest about 0.618 x 20 = 12.4 cm high.

Next challenge: thinner walls. And don't forget to ruin a few, so he keeps on learning.

Joe

Evan Pavlidis
31st December 2006, 03:52 AM
The sky's the limit for this turner; keep up the good work. The spalting is magnificent. I'd keep this piece on a table or a mantle and not use it where it can be seen. The spalting itself is a work of art. Well done.

Evan

ticklingmedusa
31st December 2006, 10:53 AM
Al,
I know you and, having learned quite a lot from you myself I know you are excellent at sharing information.
I think Harold is very lucky to have you as a mentor.
Last week I taught my brother the basics by letting him turn a heavy goblet or chalice form out of an endgrain branch of sycamore. It came out okay, perhaps a bit chunky.
Chunky being thick bottomed and not elegant.
( just like my wife )
I learned that teaching is a challenge and its the wise man that admits there is always more to learn.
Tool control and safety make up an important part of what the beginner
learns first.
I think mastering form is far more difficult. At 2 1/2 to 3 years of experience I still have to ask myself " Is this enough or does this shape need more refining?"
And of course there are those times when I refine a little too much :oo:
By submitting photos to peers and sharing with fellow turners here or elsewhere we gain insights as to what pleases the eye.
The Wood Turners Workbook written by Ray Keys has some good discussions of various forms and why some are more elegant than others.
Turning videos and books are expensive but they pay for themselves
eventually. Books on pottery and ceramics are another good source
for seekers of form.
I found some turning books and videos at my public library.
Welcome to one of the best turning websites on the planet Harold.
tm

SawDustSniffer
31st December 2006, 11:25 AM
well done harold , the timber in that bowl is stunning ,you are lucky to have a mentor like OGYT , i plodded along for 6 months by my self before finding this site and learnt more in the first day of logging on ,
welcome to the forum ,and look forward to learning from your questions

dont forget to Google your question first ( add "ubeaut" to the search Q )

ciscokid
31st December 2006, 11:47 AM
Fantastic bowl. I actually gasped when I saw the wood! I can't speak to the form because I have never turned a bowl in my life, but I know what I like and I like that bowl. Obviously a combination of innate talent and a fine teacher.

harold
31st December 2006, 01:20 PM
i would like to thank everyone that looked at my bowl and i appreciate the comments harold

rsser
31st December 2006, 02:11 PM
+1 on TM's comments on form.

Lotta folks spend a heap on good timber and lathes and tools, carefully researching hardware pro's and cons, spend hours sanding and finishing but relatively neglect form.

So see also Raffan's older work, Turned Bowl Design.

There are some simple rules that if followed will make a shape out of a lump, and working to a rough design is a good way of extending your tool control, your ability to see and may actually make worthwhile all that p*ssing around with sanding and finishing.