PDA

View Full Version : My FIRST Goblet.

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 03:51 PM
pictured below is my first ever goblet:2tsup: . made from camphor laurel, finished with EEE and shellawx. it took me about 2 and a half hours or so.
i'm very proud of this peice and i would like your honest opinions and critisms so i can improve:cool: .

meansy_wood
30th December 2006, 04:12 PM
nice can i touch it

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 04:13 PM
nice can i touch it
when you come over

DJ’s Timber
30th December 2006, 04:15 PM
Nice job Stirlo:brava , good result for your first goblet.

The only criticism that I can give is that the base is a bit thick

Cliff Rogers
30th December 2006, 04:27 PM
Nice job Stirlo:brava , ...the base is a bit thick

Yeap, the finish looks good but the form needs a bit of work.
I don't like anything parallel.

The outside at the rim looks a bit straight up & down, the stem looks more like a pillar than a fine stem, & the 'rills' on the base ar a bit over done compared to the simple lines of the rest of the piece.
Loose the 'rolled under' look on the base.

They are just my opinions 'cos I like simple flowing lines.

Here are a couple of glass examples.
The stem on the 2nd one is a bit straight for my liking as well.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2006, 04:30 PM
Bloody nice work, Stirlo! :2tsup:

The only criticisms I have are of the foot and the transition into it. The foot looks a bit thick to my eye, it doesn't really "balance" the more elegant shape of the bowl up top; as Cliff said, you want to get smooth, flowing lines. But that's only a minor quibble. IMHO the main "fault" (if I can call it that) is the transition; all those beads. They'd possibly look alright on a plainer piece of wood, but on that piece of Camphor Laurel that's where the grain gets really busy. Adding all those beads there has, IMHO, made it look cluttered and detract from the grain instead of enhancing it. And it is beautiful grain.

Still, all in all it's a nice piece of work Stirlo, especially for a first! Only 2 hours? My first took 2 days! Well done! :brava

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 04:31 PM
thanx for the honest critisms dj,cliff and skew:)

meansy_wood
30th December 2006, 04:50 PM
Nice job Stirlo:brava , good result for your first goblet.

The only criticism that I can give is that the base is a bit thick

its a good point.

baxter
30th December 2006, 04:54 PM
thanx for the honest critisms dj,cliff and skew:)

Nice work Stirlo particularly as it is you first goblet. The finish off the tool looks very good.

I agree with the comments about the base, beads and stem. The shape of the goblet itself is a matter of personal choice.

BTW I didn't see any criticisms, just constructive comments:2tsup: and encouragement:brava .

Simomatra
30th December 2006, 05:21 PM
Nice work Stirlo

I haven't tried a goblet as yet so you are well in front of me

hughie
30th December 2006, 05:44 PM
Stirlo,

Nice effort first time around. I'll go with the rest on the shape and form.
Shape n form come with practice as our 'eye' gets tuned, you'll be right.

Next one will be way better. Go for it. :D

SawDustSniffer
30th December 2006, 06:09 PM
great work stirlo , good to see you wasted not time in bolting that new chuck on and giving it a spin ,did you complely fininsh the top part before doing the stem and base ? or did you use a padded tail stop to support the end

well done on you first goblet , might just have to chop 5mm off the bottom to please the others :;

dont loose that pen mandrel in the vast amounts of saw dust your gonna make

cedar n silky
30th December 2006, 09:14 PM
Nice work Stirlo

I haven't tried a goblet as yet so you are well in front of me

Me too, Stirlo. Have yet to make a goblet. Apparantly you can take to the bandsaw and turn a goblet into a "scoop" also, and that's what i will be doing "soon"!:-
Great work and good finishing!:2tsup:

ss_11000
30th December 2006, 10:19 PM
i turned and finished the bowl first.
i'm gonna try a scoop next and cut it with the miter saw at 45o and see if that will work.
thanx for the comments guys.

cheers

Wayne Blanch
30th December 2006, 11:56 PM
WOW Stirlo, That is a fantastic effort for your first Goblet :2tsup:, it would be a great effort for your 10th one. You have every right to be proud of it. I tend to agree with the constructive suggestions that have been made by the experienced turners on the BB but the person who you have to satisfy is yourself. A great effort, wish my first one was that good!!!

TTIT
31st December 2006, 02:01 AM
Great first effort Stirlo. All the required comment has been made so you know where you're at. Can't wait to see the second!:D

baxter
31st December 2006, 10:37 AM
i'm gonna try a scoop next and cut it with the miter saw at 45o and see if that will work.

Stirlo if you are intending to use the GMC circular saw I would be very careful:no: . You will be cutting close to your fingers and the goblet will be potentially unstable:o.

Also the blade will be cutting through a void which could cause major tearout:doh: .

Might be better to wait until you can get to a bandsaw to do the cutting:U you would get a cleaner cut without the possible consequences:; .

ss_11000
31st December 2006, 12:12 PM
Stirlo if you are intending to use the GMC circular saw I would be very careful:no: . You will be cutting close to your fingers and the goblet will be potentially unstable:o.

Also the blade will be cutting through a void which could cause major tearout:doh: .

Might be better to wait until you can get to a bandsaw to do the cutting:U you would get a cleaner cut without the possible consequences:; .
ok:)

BernieP
31st December 2006, 02:13 PM
G'Day Stirlo

Great first effort I found after showing my first on forum I took note of all the comments and help offered and the second, third etc were possibly better efforts, but still didn't compare with the joy of turning the first one.

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st December 2006, 05:22 PM

All good advice, Stirlo. I wouldn't even attempt it on the GMC, myself, but then again I've a bandsaw. :D

If you have a good fine-toothed (to reduce tear out) handsaw, you can stand the goblet upside down on a slightly larger scrap block and saw from the side down to the lip, then hand-sand the cut edge. The scrap block is only so you can saw all the way down without squashing your fingers between the saw handle & bench.

A fret-saw is ideal for this, but even a hack-saw or similar can do the job if used with care. A tenon saw could also be used, but you wouldn't be able to make a "curved" cut... still, it could be used to remove the "waste" then a bit of filinf/sanding to get a curved profile if you don't like the straight edge.

Powertools are rarely the only the answer. :;

scooter
31st December 2006, 09:59 PM
Rough cut with anything then clean up on a belt sander could work too.

ss_11000
31st December 2006, 10:28 PM
i think i'll hold off on the scoop for now then because of what you guys said about the scms and i dont trust myself to cut well enough with the saw i have.

cheers

Boxinator
1st January 2007, 02:02 AM
Nice little goblet. Those are fun projects!

Corey

rodent
1st January 2007, 02:53 AM
Truthfully ? i agree with skew but ide also work (on a bit of scrap ) getting that pip at the bottom out so it doesent look like a crater . SORRY but in the photo it does other wise great more goblets fun fun fun oh bum i just stuffed another one .

CameronPotter
17th January 2007, 04:47 PM
I really liked it. I thought that it was a nice bold design. Maybe the transition was a bit busy (as Skew said), but generally very good - although I reckon I would have carried the chunkiness through to the lip of the goblet too...

Still - very nice job.:D

joe greiner
18th January 2007, 12:50 AM
Excellent choice of wood, and fine workmanship. Can't add much to previous supportive criticisms. On more mundane timber, one or two steps might be OK, but would be better if balanced by similar treatment at the bowl-to-stem transition. The nubbin at the bottom of the bowl is a proper PITA for any of us. Shave the bottom as close as possible, then snip it off with a round scraper across the centerline.

For the scoop cutoff with a handsaw (preferably hacksaw with fine teeth), you can get a straighter cut if you hold the workpiece on a bevelled support, so that the cut line is vertical. Easier to stay in line that way. This idea works on other applications, too. For example, for filing clean chamfers on a metal corner, mount the workpiece in a vise so that the future chamfer surface is horizontal.

Joe

ss_11000
19th January 2007, 01:32 PM
thanx cam and joe :cool:

Gil Jones
20th January 2007, 01:15 PM
Fine lookin' goblet Stirlo.